main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Well yeah, the times they are a changin'!

I guess if people were afraid that audience scores would be "bombed" by anti-Disney folks, this film shuts it down! I guess it makes me wonder whether or not there can even be an argument about TLJ's audience score.

And before someone says "but but but what about Captain Marvel" remember there is a HUGE difference between audience "want to see" being low and an audience actual score.

Btw, how the HELL does SLOP2 get to have an audience score right now, two weeks before release??? How does THAT work?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    But I have no idea why you decided to use it

3. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Its been released overseas i guess?? Good catch btw. It has a 82 % score from critics as well. And a very high audience score! 93%. I am not sure how the verified system for audience score works yet, and even if it works overseas.

NOTE: Only 13 reviews yet though.

4. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Just found out. Supposedly a fandango special engagement. But I still don't see how they are allowed to post their audience scores. Seems a bit unfair. All films get multiple pre-screenings yet nobody can post reviews. The embargo has lifted for that film. Still don't see it being fair for the audience score.

Btw, Aladdin will have the 5th biggest Memorial Day opening and quite possibly the 3rd biggest overall Memorial Day release domestically. It will at least be #4.(Hangover 2 made $254 million).

I can easily see Aladdin dropping less than 50% next week.

ChrisLyne and Othini like this.
  5. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  6. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    UK opening for Pets 2 was half of Aladdins opening. Harrison Ford is doing a cameo in the movie, thats something.

7. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    my favorite is the angry youtubers trying to tell everyone that Captain Marvel is going to fail Geeks+ Gamer did no lie 100 videos about how it was going to flop.

I think what we should take away from RT audience reviews is that they don't matter and in no way effect box office performance.

Now it will be interesting to see how Ep9 does on RT with the new verfify ticket reviews.

8. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Maybe we need to start figuring on the concept that audience scores reflect how a movie will do rather than influence it. In other words, people won't see a movie because of its audience score. Instead, the audience score will reflect what people ACTUALLY think of the movie and the rest is up to those people telling friends, family, co-workers how much they enjoyed it. Thus, anyone that may be on the fence (even if it is because of RT critic scores) will likely listen to "real" people and decide accordingly. That is what will likely happen (and is happening) with Aladdin which is why it has been solid through the weekend.

I feel like Aladdin is a total about face and is kind of a precedent. I can't think of any movie, besides maybe Bohemian Rhapsody, that has such a difference between critic and audience that favors the audience.

9. qui-gon-chan

qui-gon-chan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2018
    What about Venom?

cerealbox likes this.
  10. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    warcraft would be another 28% critic and i think around 60% audien

weird it looks like RT removed all the auidence reviews for Warcraft

edit found it on the waybackmachine it was at 75% audience

https://web.archive.org/web/20161002005055/https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/
    no idea why the auidence reviews were removed though that's weird

The issue with user reviews and fans is that fans with always create multiple accounts to either boost or hurt something they don't like. I think the only solution is not give a crap about audience reviews.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Solo's opening weekend $84,420,489 - they called this disappointing

Aladdin's opening weekend $86,100,000 - they are calling this a success

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    There's not as much difference as you might think. For a long time RT folded the Want To See votes into the Audience Score. People eventually called them out on it and they claimed to have changed it, but it still kept happening. It did with Captain Marvel in fact, until they went in an manually removed those ratings from the score.

13. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    yeah this is the problem with corporations and expecttions. Often companies put unrealistic expectations on movies and games.

In this case they should have expected Solo to do around 400 mill just like they do with the indvidual marvel movies but because of the succes of Rogue One they expected it to do at least a billion.

We see this also in video games for example Resident Evil 6 sold 8.8 million copies making it the highest selling RE game of all time... and capcom was disapointed...

Bottom line Companies are idiots and greedy

chris hayes and Ricardo Funes like this.
  14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    The main problem is it's a self selected system, and those are inherently unreliable. Secondly there frequently isn't enough participation from viewers in the rating to reliably tell anything from it. Take Endgame for example. An 89% rating based on 37.6K votes. Even if you want to assume half of it's domestic total is from repeat viewings, that's still around 42M unique admissions based on average ticket price. So that 37.6K votes represents a whopping .09% of the people who saw it. I think the only reliable conclusion to draw from that is not a lot of people fully utilize RT.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Solo's overall haul, for near enough anything else, would have been considered to be respectable. Two things, though, worked against it. Firstly, it was a SW film and it didn't even get to 400 million WW. And secondly, the ballooning budget meant that it would have had to make an awful lot of money to make anything back.

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I remember Jacques Villeneuve saying in an interview that no one wanted to be the director who made a Star Wars movie that made less than a billion dollars.

Solo did okay. Not a billion, but okay.
    Marvel can make Antman, and people can accept it's not monster box office but still a fun enough film.

17. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Disney's non-SW/Marvel live action openings / domestic total since BatB:

POTC5: $62 m/$172 m
    Wrinkle in Time: $33 m/ $100 m
    Christopher Robbin $24 m/ $99 m
    Nutcracker $20 m/ $55 m
    Poppins Returns $23 m/ $171 m
    Dumbo $46 m/ 112 m

I think the above is why there is room to be happy about the $86 million OW for Aladdin. But I think more than anything, it's the fact that projections were going down all the time and the projected opening was $75 million for 4-days ($60 million for 3-days) up until the day of release.

Solo's projections were $150 million for the 4-day weekend right up to release. So yeah, there's that.

Btw, we went to eat nearby the theater we saw Aladdin at on Saturday. The parking lot this evening was PACKED. Sunday's numbers were clearly underestimated by Disney. We should see a solid hold today when actuals come in.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  18. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Comparing the Audience Score and review bombing to previous films is not fair. Aladdin has the new rules for RT where you have to have a ticket before hand which is a good start. Therefore it doesn’t have a massive sample size at only 9,000 people. The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel obviously got review bombed by people with set agendas who in some cases didn’t even see the film. Captain Marvel at one point had more reviews in 3 days than Infinity War had in its entire run. The Last Jedi has 200,000 reviews vs Aladdin’s only 9,000. Pretty obvious that some of these were done by folks who didn’t even see the film. Glad Rotten Tomantoes is making adjustments, but this is something that unfortunately will never be able to be stopped.

AhsokaSolo, Othini and ChrisLyne like this.
  19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Would love to see it hit $90 for the 3 days.

20. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    @jedijax Aladdin reminds me of The Greatest Showman, both of them straddled the rotten/fresh line with critics but ended up being big crowd-pleasers.

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed Aladdin, I honestly wasn't expecting much. I wasn't a big fan of the musical numbers but I seem to be in the minority on that front so perhaps Disney could do more to highlight the music in the marketing. If they run an ad featuring Jasmine's new song, that could fulfill a 1-2 punch of spotlighting the cast's best singer and also hinting at the more modern take on Jasmine's character (which was a highlight of the movie for me).

qui-gon-chan and ChrisLyne like this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Disney lowballing Sunday estimates is like peanut butter and jelly; a traditional marriage.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    There's now talk of a a flat Sunday with another $30 million. Aladdin has become quite the "thing" and who knows what it will take in today. We could also be seeing a 40% drop next week.Pretty amazing how this movie climbed up from the social media sewers.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Two ways to look at Aladdin.

1. Great to see it do better than expectations this weekend and get a good audience score. Happy that the early negativity didn’t hurt it.

2. I still wouldn’t call this a massive successes story. There is no reason IMO why Aladdin shouldn’t have made more than BatB. For it only to have a 90M opening weekend feels like a missed opportunity. Maybe it’s legs will help it to a better overall return.

ChrisLyne and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The reason is the popularity of Harry Potter, on which Emma Watson plays a major part.
    It created a fanbase that now follows her movies.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  25. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Now it makes sense why The Circle and The Bling Ring made so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.