main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Should have hired Hondo.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I defiantly it will be multiple in-between stores, just dealing with the post ROTJ pre TFA timeline.

And I think MAN s gonna be the stepping stone for it because I think MAN is the foundation for Post ROTJ stories that will expand out to something...what that something is IDK.

They live in a weird world anyway...and if anything one could argue Sidious was the final straw and the galaxy was like "Nope, not this again"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and Dawud786 like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think MAN will be the foundation in anything major other than production-related approaches. By its very nature, MAN stays away from the more populated, central regions of the galaxy, avoiding bigger picture stuff. Otherwise, it loses the whole "gunslinger on the western fringes of society" angle where hearing about what happened to the Empire, New Republic, Jedi, the Force, etc becomes less than common knowledge.

Now, sure, it could intersect with certain rumored characters at some point, but that will probably be more of a touchstone for those characters before they move back onto the larger stage. And, yes, MAN could be using the "fringes" angle only as a starting point before expanding outwards in subsequent seasons- and, if that is the case, then I'm definitely wrong about its foundational status. I think that they'd want to preserve that facet of the series, though, since that has been one of its greatest appeals.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I've been rewatching TLJ, and I'm at the part where they've killed Snoke and his guards. Kylo/Ben tells Rey to let the past die...Snoke, Skywalker, the Sith, the Rebels. That's all well and good, except the next thing out of his mouth is him asking Rey to join him and rule the galaxy by his side. Well, what is that if not the Sith way?

And the same is true of Luke. For all his talk about how the Jedi must end, it seems like his critique is that the Jedi have abused the Force for their own purposes. So what's the solution? Don't train any more Jedi at all? I guess that's possible, except there's always going to be Force-sensitive people in the galaxy who will develop their abilities regardless of whether Charles Xavier Luke Skywalker trains them or not...so I don't see how this solves anything. So then the thing to do is to just train Jedi differently, right? Will it matter at all whether these new Jedi call themselves "Jedi"?

Is this what they mean when they say this film is subversive? Because if so, I'm not seeing it. Despite the tagline of "letting the past die" it seems like all the changes are just cosmetic, and they're just replacing it with the same thing.

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    By the time Kylo says his "let the past die" spiel, Rey has already roundly rejected that thinking, taken the Jedi texts and run off to do Jedi stuff. And Luke has been told by Yoda himself "let the past die, the solution is not" and literally thumped on the head for it.

The movie isn't about letting the past die. It's about learning from failure, and teaching the next generation not just the lessons you learned from your failures, but the failures themselves. And further, to understand that they will fail and that they will learn from their failures.

I thought the lesson of the film was ultimately, to look at the complete picture of the past not just some sanitized mythology.

IG: @jedisufism

6. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I guess it just strikes me as silly that Kylo and Luke were espousing this "let the past die" ethos but neither has thought through what they really mean by it.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  7. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    To not train Jedi would mean to not put people on that path to power. Being sensitive to the Force does not grant automatic power, it has to be honed and developed, or else it is gradually lost. Likely someone can still do a lot of damage with rudimentary Force powers, look at the Knights of Ren. But nothing on the level of a fully trained Jedi Knight or Sith Lord.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Luke's stuck in an existential funk. As is Kylo, to be honest; he's just had his whole "be the new Vader" thing shattered by Snoke, so he's trying to form a new philosophy that's mostly just lashing out at those who've hurt him -- kill the past. It doesn't work out for him, but it's Luke who figures that out first and rejects it.

9. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It's kind of the point. Neither of them is thinking clear at all. For different reasons.

And I think, in light of TROS, we have to credit some of that to Palpatine's influence.

Luke, for instance, isn't thinking through the consequences of letting a dark Jedi run around with an army, just as Mace Windu wasn't exactly thinking though the implications of the Jedi Council overthrowing the democratically elected leader of the Republic. Also, arguably, having his thinking clouded by the influence of Palpatine.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    You know after rewatching th eluke scene and his TLJ scenes. His TLJ scene still trumps his overhyped Mandalorian scenes. And the cgi is bad. recast or just use animation. TLJ is still the best of the trilogy and has best character momment from Luke, Rey, Kylo, Poe, and Supreme leader Snoke. The two other movies are quite good. But TLJ is a teastment of how good a star wars movie can be and will be rearded as the one of the best hits of the saga moving forward.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I actually do rewatch TLJ a fair amount, but usually the Snoke, Ben and Rey scenes. Those scenes are, genuinely, incredible fun for me now.

Especially because I spent TLJ convinced that Snoke was Palpatine right up until he died!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Vialco and Alpha-Red like this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    But I mean, look at how the Jedi and Sith got started in the first place. A bunch of Force-sensitive people got together and began training, meditating, teaching others...and eventually they split into a light side and dark side camp. Well that's the backstory from Legends, but if Disney canon comes up with something I imagine it would probably have a similar gist. Also we don't even have to look beyond this film, because at the end of TLJ we see that broom boy is Force-sensitive. Sooner or later, he and others like him will develop their powers, and sooner or later the Jedi/Sith dichotomy will re-establish itself.

13. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Sure, eventually. But it would probably take decades if not centuries or millennia before the that level of mastery in the Force could be achieved. Small displays of power, like the boy’s telekinesis in Canto Bight, are just that, and even that level of power would fade with time and without training.

So if Luke had decided to truly end the Jedi Order, he probably would have bought the galaxy a good amount of time without conflict instigated by people who are strong in the Force. Of course, we know the galaxy doesn’t need Jedi or Sith to become engulfed in wars. And Luke rightly learns that despite their failure to escape the Sith trap, and despite his own failure to prevent Ben’s fall, the Jedi are still essential for maintaining peace in the galaxy and an enduring civilization.

And that’s a win for the galaxy, even if the specter of the dark side can never be fully eliminated. The Jedi did exist for thousands of years before the Sith were born, and they likely will for many more now that they are dead. In other words, the Jedi are more than worth whatever threat the Sith can bring.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'll say this, the Jedi might better serve the galaxy like the Dunedain Rangers, mostly unheralded for the good they are doing keeping the dark things at bay, rather than being tied politically and functionally to a corruptible government. I imagine that was their early history, prior to the wars with the Sith that tied them more formally to the Republic.

Ghost likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Based on the oEU was that already the case.

How do you think they are keeping the dark things at bay? Diplomacy and politics can often creat longer lasting solutions than just storming in and taking out perceived threats.

Based on the PT novelization was they originally an meditative order that realiced that they would do more good/serve the Force better by going out in the world and becoming a worldly order. But we don't know their relationship with the Republic during those days.

Personally I like the idea of the Jedi being a part of the Republic's creation.

Trip likes this.
  16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm gonna say this here, because I keep punishing myself by looking at different social media posts of people continuing to complain about Luke in TLJ:

These folks talk about Luke Skywalker as if they never saw him choke Han Solo in Dark Empire.

[​IMG]

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Selective memory is a strange thing

son_of_skywalker03 and Dawud786 like this.
  18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Also "Luke Skywalker would never consider killing his nephew," as if Luke Skywalker didn't also keep himself from fighting Caedus personally because he knew he'd fall to the dark side himself.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Luke in TLJ had more hope for Ben than he did for Jacen in all honesty.

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    100%

He knew he wasn't the one that could bring him back, but he believed there was still a flickering light in his heart. He and everyone else had given up on Jacen. Rightly so imo but that still left me just.... void at the conclusion of LOTF.

21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Eh, Dark Empire isn’t the kind of Luke story that TLJ critics were likely to praise before hand, yet in comparison to TLJ, it’s still an escapist take on the character for fun - there’s reasons why some TLJ critics like dark side Luke better than selfish coward Luke, and one of the biggest is that it’s simply more fun to watch a heel turn than to watch a prosaic “man pain” story that refuses to be more.

TLJ is extremely niche and limited for Luke. All of its dramatic points could be done without making it useless to Rey’s story or by trying to make a banal, run-of-the-mill pretentious Award Bait character arc for Luke that even at its best is only really supposed to stand by itself. Begrudging TLJ it’s “squandering” of a once in a lifetime opportunity is perfectly legit Kate response.

Now, interestingly to me:
    I think this is a more interesting question: Luke has less apparent hope for Jacen than he does for Ben... But Luke also apparently felt nervous enough to read Ben’s mind non-consensually in the middle lf the night and got freaked enough to pull a weapon on him, while with Jacen he waited until the nephew was most of the way through an autocratic take-over of the Alliance.

Neither situation is quite thought all the way through, and both are formed quite a bit by the out-of-universe context. For one thing, Jacen being one of many Skywalker descendants meant that the LOTF writers could somewhat ruthlessly treat him as expendable, while Ben having the only connection is why he gets coddled so much by TLJ.

But honestly, Luke’s “hope and aggression standards” for Ben would fit better with Jacen, and vice versa.

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Luke doesn’t have hope for Jacen because he’s already tried. Multiple times.

Aboard the Anakin Solo at Centerpoint Station

In space above Fondor

Both times, Caedus refused to surrender and spat in Luke’s face.

After he burned Kashyyyk and toasted Fondor, the Jedi couldn’t give him any more chances. They had to stop him, for the sake of the Galaxy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The big problem by the time LotF was got to was that redemption in SW had become the caricature of religion that is:

So Father, since my last confession, I've done 10 acts of grand theft auto, shooting twenty cops and robbed 10 banks. A few Hail Marys covers it, yeah?

Chrissonofpear2 and Alpha-Red like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    With Luke, Jaina, Kyp, Mara, Kyle and so forth returning from the dark side, it was becoming a watered down danger, after a fashion.

25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It’s not hard for Jedi to return from the Dark Side. It has happened before and all of the individuals you mention weren’t that far gone. Jacen Solo became a full-fledged Sith Lord. It’s much harder to come back from that. Moreover, there was no conflict in Caedus at the end. He was completely assured of his purpose. You can’t persuade a fanatic to abandon their cause. And that’s what Darth Caedus became at the end.