main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

European Parliament - Who's actually going to vote?

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by EsperVeum, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EsperVeum

EsperVeum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2004
    Even if I usually hate soccer, I'm still more interested in who's going to win the cup in Lisbon than what's going on in Brussels with the E.U. parliament... I don't even know what subjects and questions they discuss over there, and they keep saying on TV that the decisions they take is affecting our everyday lives...

I live in France, and have a hard time realising that there is any political unity in Europe. Maybe we should make a huge effort to make it more concrete?
    So anyway, I'm going to vote on Sunday... just for the hell of it.

Maybe they should've added subliminal flashes in the Harry Potter movie, making the kid pronounce a spell formula: "You shall vote for the European parliament the 13th of June!"

:p

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I would like to know more about the parliament. But in the radio/TV/elsewhere you hear more about soccer than the voting... :confused: At least it seems so for me. ;)

But nevertheless I will certainly vote on sunday!!

3. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I am gonna vote, too.

4. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I'm going to vote tomorrow. Not who I'm going to vote fore, but I am voting even if it's a blank vote.

5. EsperVeum

Jun 10, 2004
    Hmm.... I don't think voting blank is of any use, in any situation.
    Tomorrow I'll probably vote something like the ecologists... If we're to build an Europe, let's make it clean at least.

6. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    I already voted 2 days ago :)...

7. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm gonna vote tomorrow. The way I see it, you have to vote. Even if you don't know what the parliament does, to vote is your responsibility. If you feel that you haven't got a clue about what's going on it is your duty to find that out. The best way is to attent a meeting in a town square and listen to the policitians and ask them questions.

I do not like the EU, but as long as it is around I'm gonna do my best to make sure that it does its best and that I do by voting.

Our democracy deserves it.

And about the football-cup, I cheer for Sweden but think Italy will win. I don't want them to however, because I don't like the coach Trappatoni (sp?). He should have included Robert Baggio in the team.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've already voted, by post since I'm away from home today. The party I voted for will take place in the liberal party group, trying to vote right on fiscal issues and left on social issues.

I thought it was quite exciting to go and vote and think about that so many people all over western Europe are voting for the same thing. I felt really European.

Och man får ju hoppas på Sverige såklart. Du är förresten välkommen att kika in på de svenska forumet här nedanför TurnedJedi. :)

9. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    I will vote later today.

I am not really sure yet which party get my vote. I am still in the decision making process. ;)

10. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Just came back from the voting booth -- I was undecided, but made up my mind today.

Regarding the voting blanc thingy: I think it's best to vote blank than to not vote at all. You can not vote for many reasons... Around here, the biggest one is simply laziness. The weather is great and people would rather go to the beach than get in line to vote. Most are disapointed with the candidates or don't see the point of elections, but mostly, I'd really have to go with laziness. Voting blank rules that out -- you took the time to go vote, but were disapointed with the choices presented. At least that's the way I see it... :)

11. EsperVeum

Jun 10, 2004
    I just got back too, but there was no line! I think there was a lady who came in 2 minutes later, but that's it. A news report said that only 13% of people in some towns went to vote...

I voted for the party who'd fit better for european purposes. Not a little one, even if it's a proportional ballot.

12. Jaina_Mirax

Nov 25, 2000
    I absolutely agree with TurnedJedi on the responsibility thing.
    We actually have another election today, so there will probably be a pretty high participation.

EDIT: Or not... just cecked on the percentage of participation: in 1999 it was 23% at 14:00. Today it was 23,2% :eek: [face_frustrated] :(

EDIT 2: Percentage is from my state (Hamburg), not entire Germany.

13. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    Just came home from voting. Damn, it's hot outside. [face_tired]

14. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Janne, that's exceptionally low percentages... :(

I didn't feel very knowledgeable about this election, wish I had been more active in gathering information, but, well. Voted anyway, for what I hope was a good alternative.
    My mom would have killed me if I didn't vote, she's always been very rabid about the fact that you should vote in a democratic state... ;)

15. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I voted as well. Just like enji should have gathered more information. But I felt I did make a decent choice.

16. DARTH_CONFEDERATE

DARTH_CONFEDERATE Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    [image=http://www.nca-nl.org/pictures/5-EU%20flag.jpg]

The next star added to that should be for Texas. If only Texas was in Europe.

Wouldn't this [image=http://www.austintitle.com/relocation/images/large/texflag%20a10.gif] look great with the British, Sapnish, Italian, German, and Irish flags?

Maybe Rick Perry could have been the next president of the EU.

17. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Sorry, they don't add more stars... it's 12 stars and will always be 12 stars... ;)

Who's Rick Perry? *feeling a bit stupid and ignorant here* :confused:

Anyway, people can't be presidents in the EU... countries are. Sort of. Every country hold the presidency for 6 months, then they change. :)

18. DARTH_CONFEDERATE

DARTH_CONFEDERATE Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Well it was my understanding that the leader of the President country was the President of the EU. That's why Berscoloni was in trouble about his words about that German guy. I knew it rotated every six months, and that Ireland is now President, unless it changed again recently. Rick Perry is our curent governor.

19. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Well, I'm no expert, but I think it's not exactly as if the country which holds the presidency is the "leader", like the president of the US is the leader of the country. It's more like they're the chairman of an organisation. I think. So they organise things and so, but don't have more power than the other countries.
    Of course, since they are representing the whole of EU, they should think of what they're saying... ;)

Ah well, as I said, I'm certainly no expert... I could ask my mum, she works in the EU and probably knows... :p

20. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
    I was in Spain during the EU elections. In the news i heard that spain got the lowest participation in all of europe, which is a pitty, since its realy an important desicion. If i could have voted i would have voted for the PSOE.

21. Jaina_Mirax

Nov 25, 2000
    >>Maybe Rick Perry could have been the next president of the EU.<<

Ok, I am ignoring this, but you better don't say something like that again. We certainly DON'T need your guys over here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.