main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Ever Been Tempted by the Bumf You Get Through the Door?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Mar 22, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If your area is like mine, there's a small army of scruffy-looking people delivering crap through the mail slot. (And I'm not talking about the posties here. Mine aren't scruffy..)

I'm talking about the deliverers of menus, estate agent leaflets, charity bags for some dubious agency, cards for minicab firms you've never heard of - that lot. What set this off was the latest Mr Scruffy putting a kebab menu through the slot. Recycle bin fodder for sure. I've lived here over 20 years and the only menu I have used is from Topps Pizza - because I happen to like their pizza more than the others. The other stuff that gets some attention include the free weekly newspaper and occasional council newsletter, just so I know what's going on locally.

I've lost count of all the stuff that went straight from floor to recycling. I don't know how much firms spend on this crap but it's wasted on me. What do you do with your bumf?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Mine goes in the recycle bin, unless it is the free newspapers or some of the charity collection requests

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I only ever pay attention to the takeaway menus. I've been in Gloucester for a year and a half now, and am still to find one as good as the one in Lincoln!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I find those pretty useless as it's usually just me and most of those want a minimum amount for delivery. I can go up to the local pub and eat for less if I really don't want to cook.

5. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    If the menues we get had photos of food that didn't look like it was made of plastic or regurgitated Sunday roast, I may be tempted one day. But for now, straight into the recycling bag!

6. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Keeps me warm.

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Recycle bin.

Unless something coincides with my needs. I have been known to keep hold and use the mini-cab cards if I lose the number for my locals, and I recently used a gutter-clearing service that came through my door.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have Yellow Pages gone bust? If so, we might have to give more credence to door crap.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I still get a local Yellow Pages (not sure if it's called that). Can't remember the last time I used it though.

I've been getting a lot of 'charity' collection bags through the door as well - sometimes two or three a week. I tend to use those as trash bags because a) there's no guarantee the goods would ever reach the charity as a lot are bogus and b) the few times I've put stuff out no one has bothered to collect. Also a lot won't take books and that's usually what I have a lot of. If I have some of those in a pile I will take them into town to a local charity shop.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, the charity bags don't get picked up from me either. Not sure what the point of them is.

I don't know why, but several departments at my work have spontaneously decided to double up as in-house libraries / book overflow areas.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I swear Virgin Media are the worst company for junk mail. At least once a week I get their crap through the door, and this is without being a customer! Saturday I got yet another envelope addressed to 'The Householder' containing a pile of bumf, and today I got some coupon book. Dear Virgin - I don't want your service, I don't need your service, and I wish you'd quit killing trees. I feel sorry for the postie - he has to deliver all their crap! if there was a freepost envelope in the mix I'd send all their post back to them! Anyone else getting this stuff (And if you happen to work for them, please tell them their marketing has had the wrong result..)

11. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    I also get a ridiculous amount of stuff from Virgin telling me all about how fast their fibre network is etc but my street isn't connected to their network. They even put a leaflet that said 'You're connected! It's so easy to change to superfast broadband!' when this is not true! I know this because I recently moved house and couldn't take my Virgin package with me for this reason leading to irritating phone number changes and delays in service as I changed to Sky (who incidentally are much better than expected even if supporting Murdoch feels quite dirty). So I get disproportionately angry when I also get their rubbish about once a week

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Sounds like you're getting the same bumf I'm getting. It's been going on over a year now.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I get annoyed when the bank sends two letters a few days apart when they could have sent all the info in the one envelope. Surely that would save them money in addition to reducing paper wastage.

14. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Those charity bags are very dubious , especially the ones collecting for cancer research but when you read the small print it is a charity for women with cancer in Lithuania

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Is cancer different there?

16. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    Bric-a-brac is much more effective than chemotherapy for curing Lithuanian cancer

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I use the charity bags for trash bags. The few times I put stuff out it wasn't picked up. If I want to donate something I'll take it to one of the shops in town.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    We sometimes get menus for take aways that we already go to, so I guess so. Getting the menu doesn't make us more likely to go there though but they do get used.