main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, that plot bunny about Grover that I adopted, the donator reposted it after seven years, because it hadn't been taken up, and I would just like my notification to her, to hang around long enough for her to see it.

Then again, I found the story created from another of her bunnies (c. 2006), and no way can my effort match the quality of that other one, so that has tempered my desire a bit.

I hear ya; my muse won't concentrate on the Under-represented topic, and days are ticking away...

2. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Closely related to one of my biggest pet peeves (“anyone who shares the screen/page for thirty seconds and treats each other decently must be shipped”): “anyone who shares even slight physical or temperamental similarities must be RELATED!”. Today, the admin of a SW fan page I follow on FB spammed the page with a bunch of breathless “Is so-and-so related to so-and-so?” posts. Admiral Rae Sloane and Tam Ryvora? Both have dark skin, wavy hair and high cheekbones—must be related. Bo-Katan begat Mara Jade begat Rey? All kick-shebs women, must be true! Enfys Nest and Hux? Because all the redheads in the Galaxy are related. Why not throw Mara in while you’re at it?

I get that George Lucas started the whole “small galaxy” trend, but really, it’s not that small.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Guilty of that. Guilty beyond belief. [face_blush]

Kahara likes this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Raissa Baiard, I both know what you mean and yet also get plot bunnies resembling that remark. Because I want the crack to be made sensible or at least entertaining once it occurs to me. [face_laugh] Guilty of at least one count of "all the Jedi redheads are related"!

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something I have found myself problem with is people using the f-world (or similar) in settings where that would not be appropriate, f.ex. Spider-Man Noir (who's from the 30's/40's) using it or My little pony characters (I get having people swear to show of how bad the situation or how strange the AU is but the f-world in MLP just don't fit, at least for me).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Tarsier, gizkaspice and Raissa Baiard like this.
  6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Too much slang (ie, yeah, like, wanna, gonna, etc) in dialogue between almost all the characters, especially if it's not actually needed for any good reason, doesn't fit the setting, and isn't actually a story meant to be funny. Maybe it's somehow related to the above, I don't know.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Gamiel likes this.
  7. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Lack of variety, in these forums particularly. Like 98% of stories here are about EU and OC characters. As in, not for me.