main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

fan film

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by MASTER-SITH, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER-SITH

MASTER-SITH Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2003
    you have to see this fan film i found it is kool
    kind of a big file 410mb but it is kool

http://www.divx.com/movies/revelations_torrent.php

2. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Yeah seen this. Good production values and set design, but the story and acting leaves a lot to be desired.

Especially that woman with the pug face. Where the hell did they find her??

3. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Yeh, great effects and CGI and that, no idea how they did that considering they're not supposed to be pro's.
    Acting/casting/story is the biggest let-down.

4. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I've followed this film since its first teaser trailer was released, could tell it was going to be a hit.

5. rvs619

rvs619 Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2005
    wats up fellow jedi and sith alike - does anybody know if someone in cardiff is making a fan film cause if so im offering my services to whoever is making one - i do own a lightsaber - mace windu's - so i have had plenty of practice please let me know when one is happening - peace and hairgrease

6. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    There's a couple of things going on, as far as I know

Welshguy I know has been looking into making one, as he sent me some test footage to rotoscope (which I haven't done yet guys, sorry, was working on my own unofficial version of Ryan vs Brandon. Considering the test data was only to see if I could manage it, seeing what i've done with RvB is far more of a test anyway, so you can see that when it's done.)
    So there's definitely some interest there in doing a fanfilm, or at least a duel, and I think Welshguy is in cardiff.

I'm in the middle of planning my own duel also, not sure on the specifics of it just yet, my first port of call is getting some stunt sabers (going to try and buy some of the alluminium rod variety off Ryan). Currently thinking about location, something like Chepstow castle would have been nice but I don't think they'd let me in there ;) Not sure if i'm going to need extra help for this or not yet.

Rhys

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Actually, I live in the Rhondda Valley. But i'll let that one slide. ;)

It was my intention to maybe get something put together, but first I decided to make a test movie and see if it was possible for the Welsh forum to work together as a unit and get every aspect of the movie complete.

However, it has been a fair while now and the tasks I assigned have not been completed, and while I understand that there are other projects people are working on, it has also shown that maybe it isn't possible for us Welshies to make a fanfilm.

However, I live in hope and one day hope to be proved wrong.

8. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Well, to be honest the test data is do-able, but there are a whole heap of problems with it, which of course you are aware (it just being a test). Way to much time trying to rotoscope sabers which aren't actually there (for the ignition scenes), that would need to be changed for the real deal, because you can't do it like that for that length of time without wasting loads of time on it. Better to get a tri-pod for your camera, take a shot with no-one in the shot, then a shot with you (side-on) holding a prop with a blade, and then editing on the saber so you don't get problems.

Secondly, the saber hilts are so thick that it makes creating accurate sabers harder, because they don't look right.

Those are the things that get in the way of even making the test data too plausible, I'd probably still have gotten it done, but I'm -really- -really- busy.

9. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I should have probably edited my message, but I didn't get your email until I posted.

While the test data is pretty poor, I have been working with a programme that SithLordMixo put me onto that rotoscopes sabers. While not in the quality of some of the high end packages, it has produced quick and high quality results.

Don't take my downbeatness as an insult to you, i'm just trying to point out how difficult it is to organise and produce a fanfilm, and it was not ment as an attack on any one person.

10. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    but first I decided to make a test movie and see if it was possible for the Welsh forum to work together as a unit and get every aspect of the movie complete.

Was that the thing I was meant to roto about a year ago? :D

11. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    lol. [face_laugh]

Case in point!

12. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    :D In my defence, it was a boring duel! :p *runs*

13. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Yeah, it is pretty crappy. But it's just a test, so the actual asthetics of the duel are irrelivant. :p

14. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Welshguy posted on 7/26/05 4:35pm
    Yeah, it is pretty crappy. But it's just a test, so the actual asthetics of the duel are irrelivant. [face_tongue]
    [hr][/blockquote]

Well I did give you a test if you remember correctly, was very short but it was a test.

15. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I think it has style

16. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Please don't tell me the other software you're using is LSmaker...?

[face_praying]

17. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Rhys posted on 7/28/05 3:22pm
    Please don't tell me the other software you're using is LSmaker...?

[face_praying]
    [hr][/blockquote]

Nope I used AfterEffects, but since I downloaded Quicktime 7 it wont recognise quicktime, so its like bleh now. :-\

18. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005

I meant did he use LSmaker for that? But that quicktime thing is a problem, I'm using an age-old verison of it so it just about works.

Problem when everything is generally compressed in .mov I guess.

19. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    It could be AlamDV that he's doing them on or something.

20. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    LSmaker is excellent quick solution

21. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Actually it is LSMaker. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I don't think it's that bad?

For someone with no patience like me, it offers a quick and friendly solution.

Besides, in the event of having no other option, what is a Jedi to do?

22. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    It all depends what you want I guess.. it is quick and easy, at the expense of quality. Definitely not recommended for something you're planning on putting money into or anything though.

If you look into the extent of some lightsaber rotoscopers using AE you would see the huge differences, and why that is what all the fuss is about.

23. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I know that compaired to stuff like After Effects, its pretty poo-doo, but i've nver been able to get to grips with that programme, and LSMaker offers me a quick and easy solution to my rotoscoping needs.

The glow effect, when on a light background is pretty poor, but the blades themselves appear to be fine.

24. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Welshguy posted on 7/30/05 9:56am
    Actually it is LSMaker. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I don't think it's that bad?
    [hr][/blockquote]

I just looked at a screenshot of it, believe me when you can get better results with a bit more time, it is that bad. :p

25. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Yes, but i'm really, really lazy! I'm so lazy I was going to put 3 "lazies" in this sentence, but I lost interest after the first one.

Maybe it's not laziness so much, as it is a need to have stuff done right now.

And in the absense of any other option, LSMaker should do for now.

Unless that is I can get anyone to rotoscope it for me????? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.