main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Interesting article. Objectives looks like that necessary layering of tactics over the top of the basic X-Wing minis game combat. So where you would elect to use a focus point or lock-on target in a turn, and set your maneuvers up for the turn, it looks like you would also elect to deploy a hand of objective cards in that round.

I also like that there's tactical depth in the cards based on the faction. Imperials obviously can leverage off their batteries so they will favour objectives which support this - Advanced Gunnery (using all attacks from a hull zone). Rebels are more nimble so they favour most wanted (buffing damage with adding an extra coloured die (red or green) to the attack pool).

Unsurprisingly, this game looks to be brilliant.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    By Christopher Burdett

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ooh, a sourcebook with a checklist of planets to BDZ. Awesome.

Also Nick will be pleased about the Mob Cola coverage.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Is that a CIS ship with Rebel symbols? Sweet.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Originall I thought it was a grounded rebel transport, but now you mention it... maybe?

8. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The bridge makes me think Recusant-class, maybe?

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You mean a "Separatist Destroyer"? :D

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tarkin uses the term Recusant-class, you troll. :p

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh and I've read that.

(Actually I've not been able to find it or a New Dawn in bookstores here. No. Really. And I won't ebook it because bloody awful).
    (EDIT: Also I did look at the Canon status on Wookiepedia before posting the above. It seems they've taken petulant wankery to a higher level...)

12. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Totally called it on the first AoR region book! A bit surprised they didn't roll out Caamasi stats, maybe something like Nosaurians... though I guess they needed to double up on Quarren in order to further detail Mon Calamari. I wouldn't have put money on it, but it also would have been a good time to work in Lasat to begin the slow process of adding Rebels stuff.

Caught up on my book orders today... Stay on Target, Fly Casual, Hutt book all on their way. Went the Amazon Prime route this time, as Coolstuffinc sold out of Fly Casual just as Miniature Market sold out of the other two, and the shipping prices would have evened it out.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    pft. It's a Star Wars book, what's your problem? Ebooks are fine. :p

And yes, I figured you did after looking at the article too. They purposefully want to make the canon articles as terrible as possible because they're still not over it.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    did you pick up Imperial Assault, Praenomen Cognomen?

EDIT:
    GrandAdmiralJello - I just don't like ebooks as a rule. I have held out this long, and wish to be an eccentric well past the fashionable date with respect of actual books > ebooks.

And yes, Wookiepedia's doing the whole "I can't cope" routine and undermining all their good work. I'm surprised any of us can concentrate on their articles with the deafening clamour their whimpering backslapping makes.

my kind of scum likes this.
  15. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Nah, my group's not quite crunch-savvy enough to get into a more technical game. They're a natural fit for the RPG, so I figure that's a benefit I'd rather not risk spoiling.

I do have a few friends moving to town next year who might be more into it, though. I figure I might be able to get it cheaper then. This new distro who bought FFG (I forget the name) apparently isn't so trigger-happy with new editions, so I'm hoping we start to see stuff get discounted over time instead of just being repackaged with built-in expansions, etc the way they have in the past. I'm irritated when I hold off on buying a game and they jack the price up later.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's pretty much combat RPG light - well, I assume it is as I've not played it yet, just based on Descent. Minis are quite nice though, and would be useful for the RPG.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Excellent, about time. I thought they'd go with a region-based one, but that's a good call. Someday I'll get that Tion Cluster sourcebook!

... what would a NEU source have to do with FFG? ;)

Darth Zack likes this.
  18. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, that was the impression I got. My old Saga group would definitely be more into it, but they're in another city. Anyway, once F&D's out, I'll be at my limit; there's no way they'll stick to the 1-per-month release schedule on RPG supplements with three variants out (a suspicion supported by the amount of extra illustrators they're hiring lately). I'm sure I'll be glad not to have to worry about keeping up with Imperial Assault expansions on top of it.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I might end up doing for IA what I did for X-Wing - I own the Moldy Crow and YT-2400 expacs because I love those ships and in the former's case, it was the first iteration of it made.

I will get my Golden Daemon award winning nerdfriend to paint this up in a custom scheme for my campaign, for example:

[​IMG]

You throw a light beard on IG-88 Han Solo, do what was done with the WEG minis and paint that as a jacket, and bam! Generic McSmuggles, galactic scoundrel!

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I want Strongholds of Resistance now! ^:)^

[​IMG]

Dude, I get a book that covers Mon Cala, Chandrila, Sullust, and other key Rebel worlds? Between this and Princess Leia #1, I have had a great SW day. :D

And yes, I had to link a floating city from Mon Cala. I know this book isn't NEU canon, but elements will undoubtedly make there way into it, so seeing floating cities again makes me happy.

[​IMG]

Could this be Chandrila? Next to the Silver Sea?

GrandAdmiralJello

Let's start betting now. Is Mon Cala a pure monarchy or a constitutional monarchy? If they mention the democratic Calamarian Council, I will die with delight. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Nick, they have been inclusive all the way through Season Five of CWAS at this time.

The main AOR lists Mon Calamari as having a "representative council" as their government, for what it's worth.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  22. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

...not to mention, up-and-coming children's show host.

See, even as flimsy as the WotC minis are, I made so many customs that I can't justify buying new ones---especially since the one-year-old makes it unlikely that I'll get around to painting anything for some time. I just put a Juno Eclipse mini to good use with a little blue paint to accommodate the party's new Chiss archaeologist/marshal, and the time-suck + tininess of the pieces made just that a bigger task than I'd have expected. Ain't got the nerves for that mess anymore.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    These aren't soft plastic, they'll be hard plastic - think Warhammer Quest, Hero Quest, or Space Hulk I guess.

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah, it's easier to work with when you're doing a full repaint... but I have to admit, it was nice being able to leave the base coat as-is with WotC, and just change what you need. I'm too lazy for too many coats!

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    AdmiralNick22 As far as I'm concerned, any form of monarchy is a win. But knowing FFG's talent at using EU I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to massage everything together and make it a constitutional monarchy.

King of Alsakan likes this.