main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're NOT moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azanulbizar

Azanulbizar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 22, 2003
    We don?t have any firm dates, but we hope to be completely moved by March 1st, and April 1st at the latest. Ideally, we?ll be moved even sooner than that. Otherwise, we risk not being here for the biggest Star Wars event in quite some time.

Would it be possible to get a date for when the move will actually start? I see a lot of people are worried about backing up fan fiction and PM's, and it would be great if we all could know the safest deadline for when we should have that done by.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Would it be possible to get a date for when the move will actually start? I see a lot of people are worried about backing up fan fiction and PM's, and it would be great if we all could know the safest deadline for when we should have that done by.

I suggest backing them up now anyways. If you start backing them up now, no matter what happens, you're going to have them. If you procrastinate, there is the chance that you'll run out of time or that you'll forget something when the time comes. Having said that, I'll repeat: we want to move every single post. So, be cautious but don't panic.

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Good thread. There needed to be a one place for all the official announcements to be. It's good to know the mods are also afraid. And its good to know I was right about the mods and the dark side.

UKS, you rock! :cool:

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    The mods aren't afraid.

5. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    You will be. You will be

/Jeffffffffffffffff

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've just discovered that Adobe saves internal links as well. I'll be able to save my entire PM suite with this. :D

7. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Jello, how do you do that? I have adobe, too, but don't really know anything about the program and its workings. Thanks. :)

8. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    will there be a direct link on TFN main?

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Thanks for the update Raven.

I know a lot of users have expressed concern over the fact that some of their posts or profile details may be lost in the move. I don't think that will happen however in the case that it were to happen, I thought I would offer some of my services.

If any user wants to save some threads or profile info on another site, anyone can feel free to use this one,

http://seldonjediforum.proboards18.com/index.cgi

I created it today as a storage center of sorts to save any info from the JC. I don't think we will lose our posts, but as a safety net. Feel free to use that site for storage and PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

I'm not trying to put an ad up for that site. That site was made only to help users who wanted to save some info.

Thanks
    -Seldon

10. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    1: how much of a chance is there we'll loose posts or names or things like that?

2: how similar format will it be, I really dont like some oter boards foramts as much as this one

3: will we be informed, todays the move or is it going to be we sign on one time and its this one, and we sign on the next and itll be new?

4: will there be alot of down time because of this?

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Might try reading the FAQ at the top of the page for more information.

12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Good thing is hopefully some of these pop ups that even my pop up blocker isn't blocking might be gone. That makes me happy.

~PK~

13. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Thanks for the heads up Gandy.

14. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Sounds great, just for the love of God, don't forget to have a strong Forum Search feature this time around, if that's one of those things that has to be implemented at the beginning. The current one is AWFUL.

~Neszis~

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    http://forums.gencon.com/

I don't know what type of forum it is. But it has pm's and some of what we have here. Minus the things I think are important. All I really need to have is pm's and WUL. I'll be happy with that. But I know they have PM's on that board but no WUL. Which I love cause its easier to pm your friends that way. Okay thats my latest input.

~PK~

16. MARCOLAS

MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer star 6

Apr 3, 2001
    A notice was posted in the City Rep forum referring to this thread and another...hopefully if they are doing their jobs they'll read that thread and take care of passing the info along to their repective groups.

Yep, done.

17. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    This is really a shame. But, it certainly appears unavoidable.

I mean this most sincerely:
    My heart goes out to the techy nerds that are responsible for not only setting up a system that can handle the load of this forum, but moving this forum as well.

That's a collosal undertaking.

Best of luck, you guys!!

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Han: It'll work...It'll work.

19. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    [Jango] They'll do their job well, I'll guarantee that.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Han: It'll work...It'll work.

[Lando]They told me they fixed it. I trusted them to fix it. It's not my fault![/Lando]

Oh, erm... hehe...

21. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Thx for the update, Raven. It is greatly appreciated.

22. pzgamer825

pzgamer825 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2005
    May I suggest Invision Board?

It is one of the largest and best forum systems available, features like you wouldn't believe, and amazing skinning options. There official forum (which also is a demo of the forum itself) is available here: http://forums.invisionpower.com/ or to see one in action I recommend http://forums.gamemaker.nl/ . I have seen and heard nothing bad about IPB.

PHPBB is also good, but as they are in development you don't always know what to expect.

pzgamer825

23. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Invision's quite good for smaller boards. However, for something of the JC's size (250+ boards, average of about 10,000 posts per day, and God knows how many members), it isn't quite good enough for our needs, IMHO. phpBB would require a lot of tweaking and a lot of constant maintenence too, IIRC, to maintain a board of this size... :(

I_F

24. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Neither Invision nor phpBB really have the power to handle a board like this without major streamlining of the processes and alteration to the base coding.

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    how much of a chance is there we'll loose posts or names or things like that?

Even if we did, would it be that big a deal? All the names can be re-registered on a new site, with mods checking IPs to make sure no one's taking over another person's name if necessary. And post counts... well, I agree with UKS that they're clearly the most important thing on these boards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.