main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're NOT moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Can someone who has the ability contact Philip Wise and get a status update on what the heck is going on?

2. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    Well, IGN, it was nice knowing you. The new board looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to it.

Sith Droid out.

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    So, the moderator team is just about as clueless as us. Figures. Yet another example of Wise's fantastic leadership. This was supposed to have happened months ago.

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The lack of a move isn't adversely affecting us in any way, apart from the team who spent so much time setting up a new look for us. Perhaps we should be patient and remember that while we're not moving, we're still using perhaps the best, most efficient board architecture there currently is.

I_F

5. Darth_Apollo

Darth_Apollo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm sorry but that's laughable.

There's not even a simple "move" function here.

I've been to other boards and to be quite frank, this board is kind of in the stone age.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There's not even a simple "move" function here.

Yes, there is one. I could move this thread to the JCC right now if I wanted to.

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, the move function has been available for quite some time now.

8. Darth_Apollo

Darth_Apollo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    I've seen some threads locked here and told to try it on another board.

I assumed that if you HAD a move function, you'd just move the thread there.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I assumed that if you HAD a move function, you'd just move the thread there.

You know what they say about assumptions.

Just because we have a move function doesn't mean we automatically move something.

10. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    The moved thread could very easily be redundant in the recipient forum, particularly in cases of JCC to SWC / ROTS movement.

11. MutantEnemy

MutantEnemy Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2003
    Unless things have changed a lot in three years, DarthApollo is somewhat correct, just not about the right things. As a former CR, these boards don't seem to have nearly the granular permissions as most php based boards do. As I understand it, there's only three levels of permissions (4 if you count VIPs). Admin, Moderator, and User. Now, there might be more but I honestly don't know. All I do know is that it was asked why CRs can't moderate their own forums years ago and the answer was given that if mod powers are bestowed, they can moderate anything. That's a perfectly acceptable answer, but it falls way outside the line of 'best, most efficient board architecture there currently is'.

If it was that good and efficient, making someone a mod of a single area wouldn't be a problem. This is one of many things that make these boards not the 'best, most efficient board architecture there currently is'.

Note that I'm posting with my Halloween sock, hence the registration date of 10/03. I normally post as LordJedi.

12. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    There are five levels of permissions (if you count VIPs): Regular User, VIP, Moderator, Manager and Admin.

I agree it is wrong to assert that we are currently using the best forum architecture / software available, but it should be noted that what we do have has done us extremely well over the years. The truth isn't that we're flogging a dead horse (I've always been very happy with the way these forums work), and it isn't that we're soon to be riding a white horse into perfection either... it's that we've got a good setup here, and are likely to get an improved setup when we move.

I look forward to the move in a general sense, but I'm not going to worry that because we're not moving right now we're missing out on a pot of gold. If I had to choose a forum setup to see me through the wait, this would be it.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So, uh, any news? ;)

14. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
  15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, it was serious, because I haven't been around Communications for quite a while and am a bit behind on the news. Thanks for the link! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.