main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Feminization of TPM & SW

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TrueJedi, Nov 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Still waiting for a valid example of a female character in a male role in Star Wars though...

He used the examples of Aura Sung and the female pilot in the battle of Naboo. My problem is that I don't consider those "roles" -- forget the gender, those parts just didn't matter in the film to begin with.

2. Star-Queen

Star-Queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2001
    No decent admins to close this thread ?
    What's next ? to many black people in high ranking position in the saga ?

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  3. Ransom

Ransom Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    You can ban me if you want, but TJ's opinions are about as sexist as you can get.

Sexism: 2. behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex.

But you'll have to ban Merriam Webster while you're at it. ;)

The question, as usual, is not the label but whether the opinion is a valid/sensible one. I say that it is not. Besides the fact that his argument is hogwash. How will portraying women in so-called "masculine" roles (assuming there are any) castrate or emasculate young men? Isn't it more likely to encourage them to be even more manly -- "if a girl can do it, I certainly can."

Incidentally, I have seen far worse flamings of people who dared to suggest that some of the images in TPM were stereotypical. And I can't see any difference between saying that someone is "PC" or that they're "racist." Both are simply poor excuses for actual arguments.

Ban the guy for spoiling people, just don't ban him for correctly applying the word "sexist" according to its dictionary definition.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.