main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK Midlands Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Happy Ninja, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Okay, gang.

There seems to be some real interest in getting a Fan Force chapter to be set up here in the Midlands, which, I for one am happy to be involved in. I?m making this thread here and now, just to gauge what sort of interest there is exactly, and some of the details of what the chapter is going to encompass ? things like central base of operations, ideas for meetings, group outings, and any other fun stuff we can get into all sorts of trouble over, heh! [face_mischief]

First of all, I think at this point in time, I think we should, not so much limit ourselves to ideas, but I think you?ll agree that while this chapter is in its infancy, I don?t think it would be wise to get too ahead of ourselves.

If anyone has any ideas, then please feel free to share them. The more we have, I think the better off we will be.

Personally, at this moment, I think we should start off small. I say this, because I know that a lot of us are going to have different concerns, especially things like age, location, travel, and things like that are going to have different issues?e.g. if people who are interested in joining, but are perhaps under the age of 18, then any issues relating to alcohol are going cause complications, especially if we decide to meet in a pub, for instance.

One idea that I had this afternoon that I thought I would share with you ? with the proposed meeting at Alton Towers, how many people from this area are interested in going to that? I only ask because to have an official chapter, we need to have three meetings with at least three members in attendance. I think that Alton Towers would be an awesome inaugural meeting for this chapter!

?Of course this is all open to debate. :)

So, come on gang! Let?s toss around a few ideas and get this show on the road. What do you say?

Anyone from any of the other chapters, i.e. London, the North, the South West, Wales, Scotland, etc, that have any ideas, then feel free to chime in!

EDIT: Please check out the Midlands Questionaire thread if you live in the Midlands

This is the link http://boards.theforce.net/UK_Regional_Forum/b10027/20385754

2. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    A bit of advice here is to bounce your thread if it looks like it could sink, that is until the mods see sense and make them all sticky.

Good luck, by the way. :)

3. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    i would like to get involved with a midlands chapter, but being somewhat of a newbie i have no idea of whats involved other than meeting up with like minded citizens. alton towers is out for me due to prior personal commitments;gutted! however, some of you guys went to star city for the midnight showing (i went to the 10.15 showing on the 19th, and then the 1.30pm showing straight after) so travelling doesnt appear to be that great a problem. a meet-up anywhere in the midlands, and any time else would be cool. i only live 5 mins from star city, and i drive, so to infringe adidas` copyright; nothing is impossible.

4. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Oh, Star City is definetly a possibility. That's the idea of this thread...kicking around ideas! :)

You were at the 1:30pm showing on the 19th? So was I!

Were you in the regular theatre, or the Gold Class?

5. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    screen 12. i sat towards the back with the republic commando t-shirt on: who`s watching your back?

6. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Ah, I was in screen 18.

Chances are, I've probably seen you, and not even realised it! :p

7. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    ditto. but i only signed up here after seeing the film and accidentaly stumbling across this form via theforce.net.
    i beg forgiveness for not being here sooner!!! [-o|
    [face_whistling]

8. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Deffo. Interested in meeting other midlanders but I cant make Alton towers.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, if theres enough interest in a FFMidlands then perhaps it should go ahead

Personally I think its easier if everyone posts in here

But it seems a popular idea

10. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, why do we HAVE to have a seperate board, cant we make it a 'social' chapter but every one still posts here.? or am I just dreaming

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    well, the old UK area threads were sperate to this place, like FFLondon is.

But most were neglected cos not enough people in those areas did meet ups and ended up posting in here most of the time in order to talk to others from the other UK regions.

But there seems to be a lot of support for a midlands area, and if they do meet ups regularly then it should stay up & running

12. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    why not. sounds like a good idea to me- just keep bouncing this thread if need be just for 'local' people!

13. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    Hello Dave !

(99.9% of the forum turn round in response)

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Thats HAL's job, not yours :p

[image=http://www.homestead.com/flowstate/files/hal9000.gif]

15. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    Hello Dave !

hi. i presume its me, but with all the Daves on here, who can tell?

16. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Hi guy's.

I can't let Happy Ninja take all the flak for this idea and post, it was a subject we discussed at Star City whilst being screwed around by their staff but that was a whole other story. I agree that a Midlands FF chapter wouldn't need it's own forum, so posting any messages for the chapter would be done on here, mainly so the rest of you guys can see what we're up to and if you'd like to join in on various occasions then that would be great.

As for Alton Towers I'm in providing my second youngling is born by then and yes I've ok'd it with Mrs Tay-mar however, if the dates for Alton Towers aren't suitable for some, bearing in mind that they haven't been set in stone yet, then I'm sure between us we can come up with another date, time and place for a meet.

As for interest I've PM'd Lord Wiz, thanks for the reply m8 and spoken at length to JangoFett9, who was also present at the Star City discussion, so it looks like we have four people that have expressed an interest and that is a good place to start in my humble opinion.

A Midlands chapter has the potential to thrive with events like Memorabillia being on our doorstep and it's something I'm willing to put time and effort in to see up and running.

Finally I would like to thank Otto for his advice and recent post-bumps on this subject, cheers m8.

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Thats HAL's job, not yours

What do you mean, MY job? :p

I'm in the Midlands, so I would be most interested in how this pans out :)

18. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Another midlander here.

19. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm a midlander too...

20. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm a Midlander and so is my wife.

21. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    "Well, why do we HAVE to have a seperate board, cant we make it a 'social' chapter but every one still posts here.? or am I just dreaming"

Oh, I agree...For the time being, this thread is more than suitable to serve as a base of operations. I also agree that if the momentum keeps going, and there is persistant renewed interest, then this thread will stay at the top, and there will be no need for a sticky.

As for a seperate forum: Well, we'll see in time - I just thought, with the fact there are only a certain amount of posters from the Midlands area, it will most likely be the same 15-20 people that will only post in there. I think that will be a difference between us and another chapter such as London - There are more posters from the London area, but not only that, there are a lot of people from overseas that post in the London forum that will most likely not post in the Midlands forum for the simple reason, why? It's London! No one knows where the Midlands are...I know a ****load of people from overseas, and the first thing that they ask me when I tell them I live around Birmingham is: "Is that near London?"

So, I think for now, just containing it to this thread will be sufficent enough - besides, what topics are we going to cover that can't be covered in the main FFUK forum anyway?

Hal, I didn't know you were from the Midlands...I always thought you were from Lincoln? Or am I wrong, there?

Anyway, there are some good thoughts coming from you lot, and all of them look good; sweet! Keep them coming, 'cause it seems there is a lot of enthusiasm in here.

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Midland = middle of the land

Lincoln is just west of East Anglia, so it's in the Midlands in my book :D

23. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Close enough...And besides, you're a fellow filmmaker, so I'd rather have you in our group than someone elses! :)

24. Princess_Amidala

Princess_Amidala Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    I was wondering after reading your discussions how old do you have to be and you havent thought about people who dont drive becuse they might have a problem to come go to some places. I am from the Wrensnest in the West Midlands but i am under 18.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Welcome!!!

To be brutally honest, meet-ups would require you to be able to transport yourself, and I also expect most of them would involve visiting taverns of some description. People of all ages are welcome at events such as the Alton Towers trip, but under 16s would need parental supervision. FFUK cannot take responsibility for anyone attending such an event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.