main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ^^^ ^:)^ [face_laugh] We have a theme video for this thread!

And you're not alone Lazy K, I don't have a middle name either. But I do get to write my name in a fancy alphabet, so I decided that it makes up for it.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Middle names, schmiddle names. My name in Serbian cyrillic makes up for lack of a middle name. Then again, people have been giving me odd names based on how they see me. One person used to call me Alisa, one used to call me Esma.

And my initials are IT. Stephen King loves me.

Also, hey, there's at least three of us with no middle names now. Coincidentally, we're probably the only three non-Anglophone folks who post in this thread. o_O

Sometimes I wonder if the simple fact that most other non-Anglophones on here are either slightly odd in terms of social interaction, struggling with English or, well, both, is the reason they never come here. :(

I think it fits. As in...could not be better. :D And...she does post announcements.

I need one of those silly gifs of a person realising stuff now. :eek:

Findswoman , Exeter and whiskers like this.
  3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    My initials are boring: SMN. The funny thing is that save for one letter difference, my last name is an anagram of my first name.

4. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Are there any non-native English speakers other than us three writing and posting fics right now? I've met a few on other boards, but I don't think I saw anyone else here in a loooong time.

Edit: Not counting AzureAngel2 of course, and if anyone's in touch please say hi from me.

Findswoman likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Blame. I'd definitely go with blame.

My mom and I share a first name but have different middle names and my middle initial is E. My aunt for some reason refused to call me by the nickname everyone else called me (and I liked) so she'd just call me M.E.. I always thought it felt a little strange because she was saying me, but talking about or to me.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Chyntuck, IIRC earlybird-obi-wan is Dutch, and Gamiel is Swedish, plus I think there are a couple of other non-native English speakers as well that I haven't seen recently.

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oops, wrong. There's earlybird too, she's Dutch, isn't she?

Edit again: ninja'ed by Goodwood [face_laugh]

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I think they put some nice drugs in the tap water today, when I managed to...forget that Gamiel existed for a moment here?!

And earlier today, I was convinced that Eros Ramazzotti was a tree frog in a past life.

leiamoody likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have four names counting my last name and I use my second name in daily life.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Gamiel is a horrible tease. He keeps coming up with great ideas for world-building but he never turns them into stories. And now we know that he has four names :eek: :p

Findswoman likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Something to think about:

None of these words rhyme: cough, rough, though, and through.

But pony and bologna rhyme. 8-}

Go home English, you're drunk. :p

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Is that how you pronounce Bologna in English? I DON'T WANNA LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE.

It's bolo-nyah, dangamit. :p

Admiral Volshe and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Bologna isn't an English word; it's Italian. ;)

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Sorry Italy, English stole your word. :p

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    How the bloody hell is it possible to make bologna rhyme with pony? :confused:

In other news, the neighbours across the street are having a very loud party. Of course it had to be on the Friday night when I'm staying at home with plans to go to bed early. This is when it teach you all the word γκαντεμιά (gkantemiá), which is Greek for Murphy's Law.

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    In America, "bologna" is a sandwich meat pronounced "baloney". 8-}8-}8-}

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    You're kidding, right?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Canada too. I always "mispronounce" it as bolo-nyah though, which gets me weird looks.

I hope they quiet down, Chyn!

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Sorry, 'muricans, Italian language and literature was my major at the university and the way Italian words are butchered in English never ceases to amaze me. :p I have a hard time understanding how "ravioli" can be interpreted as singular when it's the plural of "raviolo", how can "bruschetta" be singularia tantum when plural exists and it's "bruschette".

Oddly enough, in Serbian, most people view spaghetti as female (špagete, as opposed to špageti) and bruschette as male (brusketi, as opposed to bruskete)...and yeah, that's our second worst sin in terms of Italy and Italian culture...

...the worst is putting ketchup on pizza, instead of tomati pelati. I don't see a well-made pizza as unhealthy, but the way we make it here, with the said ketchup as the main "topping" and semi-processed cheeses that, the calories, fats and sugars are double the average. Death from the oven and all. Not sure if Rey and Finn's cat would approve. :(

21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hello from Louisville, everyone! I'm at my trade show booth in my Ian Mosh dress with a pounding headache, but still having fun.

As far as I'm concerned, "Bologna" rhymes with "Catalonia," though I can't totally be responsible for the pronunciations of my compatriots. The word you may be looking for is "baloney" (which is a sort of corrupted anglicization of "Bologna" by origin anyway).

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Good grief. The whole city of Lyon would have a heart attack if they knew you guys think their trademark sausage is from Bologna. Mind you, they eat inordinately large amounts of that sausage, so their hearts are probably way past the heart attack stage :p

23. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ewwwww.

Mmm. Rosette de Lyon. [face_love]

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It's not rosette in this case, it's saucisse. Both are amazing though *drools* And now I'm hungry.

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.