main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We had silenced TIEs in Legends for commando atmospheric infiltration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Are we sure about this? Because the TIE fighter owner's workshop manual mentions that Tarkin specifically directed Sienar to make his fighters sound like "birds of prey", and the TIE/ln was originally supposed to be unable to fly in atmosphere. Plus they could hear Mynocs around the Falcon in vacuum, and rocket battle droids talk with each other in space in The Clone Wars.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    There is no sound in space.

Fire Dog, vncredleader and Daneira like this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wait, about the mynocks around the Falcon...we're talking about the space slug in ESB right? Or is there another Falcon-mynock encounter that I don't know about? Leia said "there's an awful lot of moisture in here" which means there's an atmosphere.

CernStormrunner, JABoomer and Daneira like this.
  5. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Forgot about that one, I suppose sound would make sense in that context.
    I know, but Star Wars is hardly known for its realism when it comes to physics; it doesn't really sound too far fetched that sound in space would be canon in-universe, especially given the battle droids talk I meantioned before. Also, I'm pretty sure in that same episode clone troopers communicate with Plo Koon while they're all in space.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Fire Dog and Delta-7 like this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    There. Is. No. Sound. In. Space. Full stop. It's a patently ridiculous claim that, instead of the multitude of explanations on hand (Communicators, Thin atmospheres, Articstic License), Star Wars eschews all possible relation with what we know as space and makes sound travel through the void.

Daneira likes this.
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The mynocks are in an atmosphere. Look again at the scene, there's fog throughout the area the Falcon is resting in. The space slug is big enough to maintain an atmosphere, I guess.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    The noise the TIEs make is inspired by the noise that Stukas made, which was a deliberate psychological trick created by building special musical instruments into the undercarriage. :p As there's no sound in space, I'm guessing that some sort of signal generated by the TIEs' comm or engine systems sets off the intercom speakers in nearby ships - possibly a replica of a sound they actually make when they're in an atmosphere...? [face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

Fire Dog and vncredleader like this.
  9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Also the clones have helmets on and Plo's face apparatus likely has a communicator or he has one in his ear. I don't see the problem

Fire Dog and Daneira like this.
  10. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I believe this is basically confirmed in Big Inside, from The Legends of Luke Skywalker. Being a non-factual book to start with though, who knows.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Wouldn't droids, with no vocal cords, always communicate through radio signals? Much like Stormtroopers with their helmets?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Droids are capable of making sound (in atmosphere). I mean, how does Luke talk to Threepio? Surely Luke doesn't have a radio in his head.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Whether there is sound in space in the SW universe is unimportant. A silent stealth ship in space is pointless either way because there is no one outside in space to hear it. Everyone is inside their own ship/station with its own, much closer sounds.

14. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Here is a thing I have been working on, that is relevant to this thread.

Sean_Connery likes this.
  15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Having read the Mass Effect codex and TV Tropes, I know that the primary means of detecting ships in space is via infrared sensors, and this occurs at very long distances. So even if there were sound in space, by the time you hear a TIE fighter, you'd have already detected it a long time ago.

16. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    The LAAT/le is going to have an appearence in Jedi Fallen Order, making this the first time we see it in a realistically-styled project:

[​IMG]

Snafu55, Senator Wan and Wrinty like this.
  17. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    EC Henry never ceases to amaze... Here's his take on the Imperial-spec Nebulon B. Next up, the mystery Mon Cal cruiser![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  18. Ketan-Shej

Ketan-Shej Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    Holy crap...best version ive ever seen of this

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

King of Alsakan likes this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Is that actually a thing? I'm pretty sure Imperial Nebulon Bs looked just like Rebel ones. There's no way the Rebellion spent so much time completely redoing the exterior of each and every captured ship, especially in such a uniform manner.

20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    In the video, he develops a backstory as to why the design went from his fan design to the canon design.

21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The front looks like a Starhawk. Speaking of, I wonder if he'd do a realistic Starhawk design.

22. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Another shot of the Y-Wing
    [​IMG]

The Starhawk is already a realistic design though.

Pons and Senator Wan like this.
  23. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Meaning a computer model, sorry.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  24. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Ah ok.

25. Sans_Fi

Sans_Fi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    Ok, so the whole thing about the TIE Whisper is getting confusing.
    In the Trailer it has the TIE Silencer's wings and a underside turret:
    [​IMG]
    The funko calls this ship a TIE Whisper
    [​IMG]
    Every image of that ship doesn't have an underside turret.
    [​IMG]
    And now there appears this other TIE Whisper wich has an underside turret and TIE Fighter wings.
    [​IMG]
    I'm confused.

Also... Apparently the TIE Dagger is a Sith TIE Fighter? And not it's fully red? I don't know. I've seen that ship grey, grey with a red stripe and all red.