main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Yoda did that Infinites Empire Strikes Back lmao.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    So I was playing the Dark Forces 1 Remaster, and noticed something that seems to be missing from nearly every depiction of the Moldy Crow
    There's a decal on the nose, which I think is meant to be the same emblem on the bottom left of the PDA. The the textures artists for the remastered graphics went with that as well.

It's missing in every other depiction of the ship, including in the pre-rendered cutscenes in DF1 itself.

[​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Chrissonofpear2 and MercenaryAce like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 31x Wacky Wednesday Winner/24x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    Infinities ANH actually, but yes. He follows that up by deliberately crashing it onto Coruscant to kill the Emperor.

Alpha-Red and Tuskin38 like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    One of the most absolute WTF moments in the entire 40+ year history of Star Wars.

"Become am I Yoda, destroyer of worlds." Good grief.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am pretty sure the super laser, as powerful as it is, is strictly a one target at a time thing, rather than a broadband fleet killer like a wave motion gun or thor's hammer in legend of the galactic heroes.

Otherwise the Empire could have taken out the whole rebel fleet in one shot rather than picking off one mon cal cruiser at a time.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 31x Wacky Wednesday Winner/24x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    The out-of-character-ishness of it combined with the fact that Yoda's eyes glow whenever he's using his powers throughout those scenes, make me think Yoda had embraced his inner darksider.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Alpha-Red, MercenaryAce and Tuskin38 like this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've always wondered if it was supposed to be some weird homage to the original drafts for ROTJ where instead of a second Death Star, the Rebels destroyed the Imperial capital planet of Had Abaddon... but then the fact that nobody ever seemed to pick up on the bonkers ethics of that was itself one of the things I found most surprising in Rinzler's Making of ROTJ.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Haha damn it, I had originally written ROTJ as well. I would have been wrong either way.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    KKKad Habaddon

unlimited genocide on the core worlds

10. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Wait what, they destroyed the world? I thought they just liberated it while destroying the two death stars in orbit.

11. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    They introduced a new ship design in Bad Batch, the CX Dagger, and I really love it[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    Scimitar vibes

MercenaryAce likes this.
  13. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Stumbled across this art of a starship hanger from Young Jedi Adventures:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DvRyy0

The main ship featured is neat, though I can't help but notice one of the ships is a pt-era design. Course, given the Halycion Legacy is noted to have served from the High Republic up to the ST, never mind its overall class, I guess I will just have to get used to ship designs being used for a long time.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  14. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Oh, good eyes. There's actually a very faint version visible in the pre-rendered cutscene - I think I'd just taken it to be rust or some sort of impact scoring, but you're not wrong about it being the emblem... I guess that's the JAN version of the Rebel starbird, or something... [face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

Tuskin38 likes this.
  15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Season 3 of Bad Batch is pissing me off even more that the Dawn Of Rebellion VG did not have lots and lots of cross sections. The book should have been held off til after Bad Batch S3 and should have been filled with cross sections from Bad Batch, Kenobi, Andor, Rebels, and the Kanan comic.

16. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    I usually use youtube because, even with people uploading videos with the wrong framerate (so you end up with duplicate frames), I find it still has better controls than Disney Plus on a browser; things like frame by frame, slowing or speeding up the video and the timeline preview making it easier to find specific sequences.

Yeah, it's definitely a scene that can be interpreted in a few ways, so unless something official comes out I'm going to agree it's an interesting question.
    The idea of the Republic class being built on a MC80b frame is intriguing. So much so that I ended up modifying an early wip I made of the MC80b so I could get an idea of what it could look like.
    [​IMG]
    Having the storage and extra hangar facilities above the hangar really does make sense. While there is room on either side of the hangars and under it, the slope of the hull greatly limits how much space is available - this is especially true of the forward hangar bays.

This makes a lot of sense. I know when I've looked into this in the past I found that the AT-AT was possibly too tall to fit through the main hangar door (without folding the legs) and dropships like the Y-85 Titan would be too tall to fit through it (based of the cross section image).

I think the guns are fine, adds a bit more visible weapons on the bottom and they're not too large so don't standout froma distance. Hopefully when we next see the Chimaera it'll be repaired and have the bottom medium turrets added back along side these new guns.

The hangar layout is another matter. There's a lot of problems with it, from size of the hangars, ship storage capacity (partially related to size) and the rear main hangar doesn't really fit what the original studio models details implied.
    Honestly, I don't think the old 1.2km size really worked with what we see of Home One in ROTJ.
    Using the studio model hangar dimensions (hangar is a bit taller than the interior view) the smallest size that works with the hangar bay is around 1.6km. Any smaller and the shuttle wouldn't fit.

The hangars in Ahsoka are a bit confusing as for the most part they are supposed to be the port hangars, except for when the Ghost launches from the starboard side, where they flipped the whole Home One model, so the port hangars ended up on the starboard side (made this post about the flipped model).
    The Ahsoka hangar interiors aren't exactly the same as the RotJ hangar. From what I could see in the movie the RotJ hangar stretches back a far bit further (there looks to be a far bit of space behind the Millenium Falcon, compared to the Ghost which is close to the back wall), and the side bays are also deeper.

Also while I do like the idea of there being the ability of moving a ship internally from the port hangars to the starboard one(something missing from a few hangars designs), it doesn't really make sense with what we see in RotJ. The hangar we see has to be the starboard hangar, as the direction the ships outside the hangar match the direction they would be facing when looking out the starboard side. It also wouldn't make sense for it to go from one side of the ship to the other when it could just fly out nearby entrance.

17. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I found this in the bonus features. So it's specifically meant to be Kyle's crest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    Grevious_Coward and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Makes sense. I still want to try and get a clear count of the impacts, but I'm not expecting it to reveal anything conclusive...

Exactly! :eek: :D

I honestly doubt there's much room for anything in the forward hangar except deck parking - the aft hangar is the one that has the access to deep storage...

Oh, absolutely. Anyway, I found the image I was thinking of from the Rogue Squadron comics - the scaling seems a little off, but it seems like the most practical way to do it...

[​IMG]

I still like the old-fashioned abstraction of the original design with less obvious weaponry, though...

I'm trying not to think too much about it, if I'm honest. :p

But how tall is a Lambda? There isn't actually a consistent answer. :p

Well, that all depends whether the hangar opening on that side is large enough, no? ;)

I'd persuaded myself that the new CGI was very deliberately trying to retcon the hangar interior from Return of the Jedi over to the port side, to separate it from the (visually distinct) external aperture on the starboard side and upscale the ship - we can assume that the ships seen outside were circling back for some reason, though it was obviously the intention for it to be the single starboard hangar....

But now I need to rewatch to be sure... [face_thinking]

Oh, nice. Any explanation why he has it? :D

- The Imperial Ewok

19. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Not that I can find.

20. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Was Dark Forces the first visual depiction of a Hutt starship?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Thought I'd continue this over in this thread instead.

So what's a "battle carrier" and how's it different from an ISD?

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The main example of a battle carrier is very similar to an ISD, and the "battle carrier" rather than "star destroyer" terminology is used because it's less evocative of the old Empire:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic-class_battle_carrier

"Although it was considered a new, large Star Destroyer, the designation "battle carrier" was chosen to avoid reminding people of the old Imperial terror symbols."

Alpha-Red likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah but they already used "Star Destroyer" for so long, why change?

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Cal Omas being arbitrary and micromanaging maybe.

Slater, Alpha-Red and MercenaryAce like this.
  25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Doesn't Star Defender also get used as an alternative to Star Destroyer?

Alpha-Red and Iron_lord like this.