main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Flooding/Weather

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Feb 12, 2014.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So the BBC News crew have set up shop in my town (Staines) due to the flooding and the PM came walkabout in the Staines area yesterday. I'm near to, but not on, the Thames and the water is over the towpath in my area. The intersection of my road has been flooded by water coming up the storm drains. There is worse flooding up toward where the Staines Town Football Club is located. My immediate area is still dry but given the weather forecast for today and Friday, that may not last.
    Anyone else treading water? This is from the towpath yesterday:

towpathleft.jpg

Yoshee likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Note that the towpath is pretty high from the river here and in my 20+ years in this area it's the first time the Thames has topped it.

3. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Jon Snow is reporting for Channel 4 News tonight from in front of the laundrette I usually go to every week. You can't see the shops but I saw them setting up earlier and I recognize the houses in the background.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Gloucester is normally susceptible to flooding, but it's completely passed us by here fortunately.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Nothing here in Mancland

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The landlady from my local pub was on BBC Breakfast this morning. Luckily the Thames has gone down a little - you can now see the towpath in the area of the pic I posted up top. However we have another storm tomorrow into Saturday so that won't help with the flooding caused by the ground water coming up through the storm drains. My immediate area is still dry (knock on wood).
    And my postman was on Ch 4 News last nite. Footage taken earlier in the day showed him riding his cycle through the flood waters to deliver post!

7. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    No flooding here in Southend. Yet!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    My neighborhood has been busy today - police, press, and these guys:

army3.jpg

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The Gurkhas have been installing flood defenses around the area and they arrive on my street during the late afternoon to work on the towpath.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Here's hoping the Barrier protects many other parts of London.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    River has gone down quite a bit - I took a look this morning. Here's what the Army put up:

towpathleft.jpg

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There's another stretch to the right of this image and across a nearby field that has been flooded to protect houses that back onto the field. Police have been stationed so metal thieves or vandals don't take the lot.