main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Freedom in Bondage (2008 DDC; OC; Angst; Drama; Romance) update, 12/21

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Alexis_Wingstar, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Title: Freedom in Bondage
    Author: Alexis_Wingstar
    Character: My new OC, Meb, who is a slave on Tatooine.
    Timeline: Two years before TPM
    Note: This is in response to the Dear Diary Challenge 2000. I have a companion piece called "Those Eyes!" which is told from Asta's POV.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Entry 1:

Hi, my name is Meb. Just Meb. I was born a slave. My mom died giving birth to me and my owners didn't bother to put my family name on my birth record, so I'm just Meb.

I recently got sold to this old guy. He's wierd. He doesn't make me do any real work. He makes me study... reading, writing, math, galactic history and even art... like I'm a regular kid going to school. He gave me this journal to practice writing.

I don't get it. What's his angle? There has to be some catch. No one ever does something good for anyone unless there's something in it for them. He says he's only giving me an education so when he lets me free I will be able to do something with my life. Hell, all he has to do is give me enough credits to get off this ball of dust, and I'll do plenty.

Still, his daughter is kinda pretty, so sticking around isn't too bad. Not that she'd ever be interested in me. I'm just her daddy's slave, and if he actually does free me, I'll still just be the charity project her daddy worked on.

Well, dinner is ready. I guess that's another reason to stick around. The food is good and generously supplied.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Like your character and please put me on your PM list

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Ooohhh very intriguing beginning.

I'm glad to see Meb has been sold to someone who is trying to improve his life.

At least in the future.

Please PM me when you update

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. DarthJainaSolo

DarthJainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2007
    Very interesting start. I'll be watching this. Good job!

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you for reading, DarthJainaSolo, KELIA, and earlybird-obi-wan. I hope to be able to keep this up all year.

PM List:

earlybird-obi-wan
    KELIA

~~~~~~~~~

Entry 2:

I am an idiot! I forgot that my master was going to be reading this journal so he could correct any misspellings, grammar, punctuation and the like. Why did I have to mention his daughter? At least I didn't say anything stupid like... well never mind.

While I stood there watching him read my first entry, I was sweating... and not because of the desert heat. I was afraid he would punish me for what I said. I mean, I practically called him a liar when I doubted his intentions, not to mention showing interest in his daughter. My last master would have me flogged for that... that is if I was lucky and he didn't outright kill me. But like I said, before, my new master is wierd... lucky for me, heh?

All he did was smile as he read my entry, make a few corrective marks and hand it back to me. "Good job, Meb." Was all he said.

I still don't get it. I can't help but feel like he's just waiting to do something awful... I heard a saying among some spacers, "Revenge is a dish best served cold." What if he was offended and is just waiting until I'm off guard to do something?

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. I don't know what to think. No one has ever been nice to me before. He scares me more than any of my other masters. I knew what to expect from them. I don't... I can't trust anyone.

Sorry, Master Ander. It's nothing personal. It's just life.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    A great character you have with his uncertainties. Glad he has a nice master.

7. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...poor Meb!

Though I can completely understand why he isn't able to trust anyone. Especially someone who is being nice to him.

I hope he'll come around, though.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm glad you like Meb. There is both good and bad in this young man.

Thank you.

Yeah, he's afraid to trust anyone. It'll take some time before he can fully shake off his mistrust.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Entry 3:

It has been a week since my last entry. I just didn't have time to write much of anything. Master Ander didn't put as many corrective marks on the second entry. I was careful to look up words I wasn't sure of the spelling and was even more careful of my grammar, but I still get puncuation wrong. Even though I didn't make as many mistakes, in those areas, master didn't seem pleased after reading it. He frowned and seemed as though he were about to say something, but then we heard a rumbling sound, and Caen came in and said that the roof collapsed in the store room.

We're not sure what caused it, but I've been helping out in the repairs. That's why I haven't been able to write. With working so hard on the roof with Caen and Master Ander, and my other studies (I hate math... adding subtraction multiplication division and fractions are easy, but algebra makes no sense! I get a headache studying it), I've been too tired to write anything that made sense.

Master Ander sent me on an errand to get some supplies yesterday. He actually trusted me to handle the credits for the transaction! Not that I'd steal anything, but, it just surprised me. I really don't know what to think about that trust. It kind of makes me feel guilty for not trusting him.

I want to trust him. I really do.

The thought scares me.

Anyway, as I was on my way back to the master's estate, Asta... Master Ander's daughter... rushed over to walk beside me. I am not sure how to act around her. I'm polite of course. I mean, I can't be rude to my master's daughter! What I mean is, she is my master's daughter, and she is BEAUTIFUL. The way she smiles at me makes me want to hold her. There, I said it. Either I'm going to get flogged or killed, but you can't say I didn't write the truth... in good grammar, no less.

I got my desire to hold her, though it wasn't in the way I intended. As we walked together and talked... well, she did most of the speaking and I just stammered like an idiot... a sudden sandstorm hit. We tried to hurry to the estate, but she stumbled and fell. I helped her up and kept a hold of her hand as we struggled together. We were almost there when she suddenly collapsed. I wasn't sure what happened, but I dragged her the rest of the way. I slipped and stumbled down the steps to the door, trying to keep her from getting any more hurt. We landed at the bottom of the stairs, her on top of me. She was unconsious and bleeding at the temple. Her blood stained her beautiful white hair red. I was in pain too, but ignored it as I banged on the door and yelled for help.

Caen was the one who opened the door, and he carefully lifted Asta off me. I'm probably being a fool in confessing this, but I felt an ache when I no longer touched her. I long to touch her again. Is this love? To long for someone and not care if I get killed or knocked around for admitting it? Another thing is, I was more concerned for her injuries... I didn't even realize how badly I was hurt until I tried to get up and my left leg wouldn't support me. I fell flat on my face, and Master Ander helped me.

Asta is alright. She came to my room and stood in the doorway to ask if I was ok. I have a broken leg which was set by a doctor. Master Ander had taken me and Asta to the hospital after the sandstorm left. I lay on my bed with my leg propped up as Asta stood in the doorway. I don't have the words to say how much see

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And now a girl who is friendly to. That will be intriguing.

10. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Aw, Meb! He's getting more and more adorable.

I love how sweet he is with Asta and I'm sure her father will appreciate it. At least he won't have to worry about Meb trying to take advantage of her or anything.

algebra makes no sense! I get a headache studying it

I second that! I never understood it :p

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    As well as potentially heart breaking. [face_whistling]

Thanks. Meb is an interesting character. He's young enough to learn, but has seen so much bad throughout his life that he's not quite innocent.

I think algebra was invented by a mathematician who had too much time on his hands... and was rather insane to boot :p

~~~~~~~~

Entry 4:

Today has certainly been interesting, in both a good and bad way. Master Ander had me run another errand for him... but he asked me if I felt like it first. He was actually concerned about my broken leg. I told him it doesn't really hurt much unless I bump it against something on accident and I get around fairly well on the crutches.

While out, I overheard Watto the junk dealer and Yor Millto talking. Habit has taught me to keep an ear out for things. Past masters have had me spy on the streets for them... some even had me do other things I'm not proud of. When I heard Master Ander's name brought up, I immediately started listening. They were making fun of him for buying slaves and freeing them. They mentioned Cain being a former slave who willingly stayed to work for Master Ander, and took up bets on how long it would be before I was freed. I must confess my heart sped up as they spoke.

Master Ander wasn't deceiving me after all... he has a history of buying then freeing slaves. I wonder why I hadn't heard about it before. I felt happy for the first time in my life. More than happy, I felt hopeful.

?You?re lucky.?

I just about jumped out of my skin at the voice next to me. I had been paying so much attention to Watto and Millto that I had not noticed Anakin Skywalker walk up to me. I looked nervously over at the two slave masters then back down at Anakin. I suddenly felt a little guilty for the promise of freedom I?ve discovered and seeing that this kid and his mother did not have that. ?Yeah,? I said quietly, ?well, maybe I can suggest to Master Ander??

?Don?t do us any favors.? Anakin snapped angrily and walked away.

I frowned as I walked on in deep thought. The excitement of hearing about my good fortune abated as I thought about Anakin. I couldn?t fault him for his anger. I knew exactly how he felt. I also knew that even if Master Ander were amenable to buy Anakin and Shmi and free them, it would not be possible. Anakin is too valuable to Watto to sell? and it would be cruel to free Shmi and not her son.

On my way back I saw Asta, though this time I saw her first, and she was with a boy. He was about our age, 15, and I could tell he was rich... and she liked him. She kept laughing at his jokes, and they leaned towards each other. She even let him put his arm around her shoulder.

I tried to hide so she wouldn't see me, but just as I trip over my words when she's around, I became clumsy and tripped over my crutches. The most embarrassing thing happened next. They saw me, and both came over to help me up.

I would like to say Asta?s boyfriend was an ugly stuck up jerk. That would be lying. He was very polite and didn?t look down on me even though I was a slave. Asta introduced us, ?Meb, this is Undar Windcaller, Undar, Meb.?

When Undar asked what my family name was, I couldn?t keep the bitterness out of my voice. ?I?m just Meb? a mutt.?

Asta gasped when I said it, and I looked anywhere besides her and Undar. ?Um, Undar is going to be eating dinner with us tonight.?

?That?s nice,? I said flatly. I know I made Asta uncomfortable, but I didn?t know how

12. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Wonderful, wonderful! =D= Your OC's are so original and full of life. I found myself wanting to read much more than you had written.

PM list, please? [face_praying] And update soon!

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    wonderful update with that meeting with Anakin and to see that Meb has such a kind master

14. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I am loving this. Meb is such a great character, so innocent in so many ways and so not in others. It's easy to feel for him.

15. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I hope Meb will now start to trust his Master.

Loved seeing Anakin show up - though it's heartbreaking he was lost to Watto and not Ander.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This is really quite interesting. Poor Meb. At least he knows that his master was telling the truth. I would imagine that the other slaves would be jealous, like Anakin.

Good job.

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    It's late for me, and i'm much too tired to reply to everyone individually, but thank you all for reading and responding. [:D]

That said, let me assure you, the spelling and grammar mistakes I put in this next entry, especially the ones near the end are intentional. Meb is even more tired than I am right now. [face_laugh]

~~~~~~~~~~~

Entry 5:

Ok, it?s three hours later and I haven?t slept a wink. My mind is just too busy to sleep, even though my body cries out for it. So? I might as well write. Perhaps it will help me clear my head so I can go to sleep already. Just don?t expect my grammar to be good.

Dinner dragged on longer than an anooba?s tail. I can?t even remember what I ate or even how much. I just remember listening to everyone talking at the table. Undar?s family and Master Ander?s have apparently been close since the beginning of time. I could tell my master was fond of Undar.

Let?s see now. Undar is good looking, tall, rich, has a good personality? though his laugh sounds like a cross between a tauntaun and a worrt? and is in my master?s good graces. I, on the other hand, have had my nose broken in several places, a jagged scar from the middle of my left cheek to the corner of my mouth that made my mouth stretch funny, I?m barely taller than Asta, am beyond poor, and can?t complete a sentence in front of her without stuttering every other word. On top of everything, my voice squeaks a lot when I talk. Sometimes it?s high, sometimes low. No contest; I?m the winner.

Right?

Only of the biggest loser in the galaxy contest.

At least my laugh is decent.

After dinner and Undar left, Master Ander asked to speak to me. I followed him obediently into his study.

?There are a couple of things I?ve been wanting to bring up, but haven?t had a chance.? I remained quiet as he sat the chair behind his desk. He indicated for me to sit as well, and I did so in the chair opposite him. ?Meb, have I been harsh with you in any way??

The question took me by surprise, and I stammered, ?N-no, sir!?

?I realize you have had a harsh life, but I hope someday you can come to trust me.?

I looked down at my rough hands and bit my lip. Swallowing, I looked back up at him. For some reason I couldn?t speak above a whisper. ?I do, sir.? I had to smile, though it was shaky, when he blinked in surprise.

?You do,? he asked, the surprise in his eyes was in his voice as well.

I nodded and told him about the conversation between Watto and Millto.

?Ah, so you believe me now.?

I nodded once more, and frowned. There was a question on my mind I didn?t feel confident in voicing. Even though I trusted him as much as I could at this point, I didn?t feel certain enough to pry.

?However, you have a question??

Swallowing, I nodded. After he requested me to ask away, I did. ?Why do you do it? I mean, why do you buy slaves and then free them??

?I had a sister who was four years older than I. We lived on Garqi in Pesktda. One day, she had taken me to a park, when two guys jumped us. I got away, but she didn?t. They took her while I ran home and told my parents. They called the authorities, and to make a long story short, they found her, but when they tried to rescue her from pirates who were into the slave-trade, she and others were killed.?

Master, you stood and turned away from me then. I wanted to get up and go to you? to comfort you, because I could tell you were upset. But, I just sat there like an idiot. I don?t know why.

?I never forgave myself for running away, even though I know I couldn?t have helped her. I know I can?t stop slavery itself, but I can end it for a few. I buy slaves one at a time, make sure they have the skills to make it on their own, then free them.?

Gods, I can only imagine the pain the guilt has put on you. I?ve done things as a slave for masters in the past that I?m not proud of. But nothing I?ve done has caused anyone?s death. Well, you didn?t really cause your sister?s death! You did what you could. I so s

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    nice to see the background to his master revealed.

Great update

19. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww :_| :_| :_|

I wish Meb wouldn't be so hard on himself. He may not be the pretty boy charmer Undar is, but he is a wonderful human being. That's much more important.

Perhaps Asta will come to see that one day as well.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

20. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    Hee hee. I liked the way his Grammar deteriorated. That was cute.

With all do respect, sir, you are wrong. I may be an uneducated slaveboy, but that doesn?t mean I?m stupid.

=D= Amen.

Meb is so sweet. [face_love]I just wanna hug him. [:D]

Thanks for teh PM! Can't wait for the next.

Meb, get some sleep, than write us some more! :p

21. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    Ooooh... this is really good so far!

It takes a great writer to make it so easy to identify with an OC, but you did it. Hat's off to you!=D=

Please pm me with any updates!:)

22. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you :)
    Being raised from birth as a slave doesn't exactly breed a healthy self-esteem. Undar isn't the typical pretty boy charmer... there is some substance to him, which is why... well I'll keep my mouth shut before I give a plot point away. :p

I'm glad you liked the deterioration. It was funny that while I was writing that part, I kept writing it in proper grammar and had to keep changing it! My brain was working in reverse to my muse. 8-}
    Thank you! [face_blush] A PM will be coming your way shortly. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Entry 6:

I feel like I am a different person somehow. I'm not sure how to explain it. I mean, I'm still Meb, orphaned slave boy, but inside something has changed.

I guess I should say what happened today...

Master Ander read the last three entries. He chuckled at how my grammar and spelling became exceptionally poor toward the end of the last entry, and I couldn't help but laugh as well. Then he became serious. He apologized to me!

"Meb," he said, "I'm sorry for making you feel like I thought of you as stupid or unworthy."

I didn't know what to say, so I just shrugged as I looked away from him and mumbled that it was alright. That's when he came over to me and laid a hand on my shoulder. It was an automatic reflex for me to flinch away from him, though I knew he wasn't going to hurt me. All my life, I've been beaten and smacked around by those who owned me. Before Master Ander bought me, there have been only two people who have cared for me. The first was a woman who nursed me as a baby and until I was four, raised me as her own... then she was killed. The second was Shmi Skywalker... until she and Anakin were sold to Watto, we were owned by Gardula the Hutt. Anyway, Master Ander seems to understand why I flinch, though I can tell it saddens him.

He explained to me that he knew I was sincere in my feelings toward Asta, and that what he meant was that he would prefer we wait to become serious... I guess he means becoming engaged and such... about each other until we are older. He also told me he doesn't look down on me because of my status as a slave.

"Meb, you are special. You have a good heart, and are very intelligent. I have no doubt that you can do anything you set your mind on doing! In a few years, if you wish to persue a relationship with Asta, and she feels the same way, I have no objections to that."

I stood there in stunned silence as he spoke to me... like an equal. He also told me that he signed the papers to free me. He said it may take a few months for the emancipation to become official, but at least it is in the works. I couldn't say anything or even move.

That's when he gave me a hug and called me son.

And I wept.

Son.

I feel like I never heard that word before. Well, I never have in reference to me. I never realized how much I longed for th

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the update and what a lovely master Meb has. He will be alright.

24. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm so glad to see Meb being shown by his Master what he really thinks of him

What a wonderful gift to give him. [face_love] [face_love]

I can only hope Asta will come to see how wonderful Meb is.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

25. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    That was so wonderful. [face_love] It brought happy tears to my eyes.

The last line made me smile. Silly old Meb. [face_mischief]

More soon, please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.