main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO MOD Future of the Games Forum Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Delay mostly on my part but the next step will be a Comms thread to discuss it with the wider user base, factoring the input here into the proposal options presented. I'll post a link to it in here once it's posted.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I still stand on the side of negative over this. I really don't get the Community threads. You have threads for potatoes, the shape of helmets, and McDonald's breakfast; and yet when I post something in reference to a new Marvel TV series that really has nothing to do with any other Marvel-related thread; some people have gotten anal about it. Why should I have to feel apprehensive about posting a new thread in the Community forum?

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Don't take it personally. People are just tired of all things Marvel, which is why threads about potatoes and helmets are more welcomed.

jp-30 likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I do kind of take it personally; because I've seen new Marvel threads emerge that don't get the "PUT IT IN ______" thread treatment that mine got.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well I can't really comment on that since I almost never read or post in any Marvel thread.

But I did mention in my first reply that there is the potential of some people treating new game threads like Marvel threads in that they're just adding to the clutter. At the end of the day I just want one forum to discuss video games and I honestly don't care if it's here or Community. My preference is the latter only because all of my friends/acquaintances only post there.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But the way I see it, you'll get a new video game thread for every new game just like you get new ones for movies. It gets so cluttered in there that unless you or your friends are constantly posting in the thread than it won't take long before it's lost on page three or four in Community. You know what I mean.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's what the tags are for. By clicking on the 'Video' tag (or whatever it gets called) you only see threads with that tag. Existing threads that get moved over would be tagged as part of the move. For new threads it's up to the thread starter to put a tag on or a mod can do it after the fact if you ask.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I posted about the "What if" animated comic series that will be part of Disney's Marvel lineup for the subscription service. Which tag would that go under?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Since it's a TV series probably in the TV forum. If in Community probably Amph (under the current tag setup). I'm not a forum mod in either forum, so it would really be a question for them.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah, I put it as Amph. I guess if the games threads must be merged over into the Community threads, at least they could create a new VIDEO GAMES tag for them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, as mentioned in the opening post, creating a new tag (ie: "Video Games" or "Gaming", etc) would be part of any merger proposal. This way, a single click would effectively replicate the setup of the current Games forum for when you want to filter out potatoes & Big Macs ;).

Major threads from here would be carried over while the rest would be archived. Redundant threads for new games would be redirected to the appropriate series thread (or if a specific entry in a series has enough traffic/interest to warrant it's own thread, then we can break one off). We did the same thing to both the Amphitheater and Sci-Fi & Fantasy forums years ago when we merged them into Community.

As for the "What If?" thread in Amph- as Boba mentioned above, the quantity of individual Marvel threads is sometimes a concern some users have (especially when events like Comic-Con happen that often result in updates to multiple shows simultaneously when they are normally only active in rotation), but the post activity and specifics of the titles (regarding interconnectivity, spoilers or being lost amongst general discussion) warrants them in cases such as The Defenders. By contrast, we'll probably restrict the recently-announced Marvel "Offenders" animated shows to a single thread like the DC CW thread or Foxverse films/shows.

Another factor is it's still pretty early to discuss the show since we only have the initial announcement and creative talent behind them, but not much in the way of casting, character designs, trailers, etc. We've usually held off on making a new series thread until it's closer and we have more information to sustain discussion, and simply kept the initial updates to the general thread. Now, that's not a written rule or anything, so it's not like you did anything wrong- "What if?" is sort of a unique circumstance being that it's spun-off from the MCU but not part of the MCU, Offenders or Ultimate franchises, but we have that thread now for when info does come along.

But the point I'm getting at with that is that there are more special circumstances to the crabbiness people had that I wouldn't consider to be what a normal video game thread would experience, if we were to merge the forums.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well for sure you'd need the tag to be either "Video Games" or "Gaming"; because there's already a "Games" tag that really has nothing to do with the games referred to in here. That's just for voluntary games within the forum that anyone can participate in.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, also mentioned in the opening post is the need to rename the existing Games tag there if we merge.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So you mean the "Games" would be merged with "Gaming"?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, that sub-forum of Community would just likely be renamed so as to not be confused with the Gaming/Videogames/whatever sub-forum.

EDIT- Here is a link to the Comms thread.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    If you kill this forum I won't know what to do with myself.

jp-30 and Dan like this.
  17. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Reported.

Do not let this guy loose in your forum. The “culture” could return.

That being said, this proposal is outrageous and unacceptable. Think of howlrunner22’s childhood.

jp-30 likes this.
  18. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I think Howlrunner's childhood is still going on, isn't it?

jp-30 likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Now I might have posted in this sub forum less then 10 times, but the reason of that being it’s inactivity. I would agree with moving all non Star Wars games to the JCC and I would recommend moving the Star Wars games discussion to the EU section as I do not think it would completely fit with SWC. Although I would be fine with any of the mentioned options as it will likely get more people in discussions. I know I will be.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Seconded on all counts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.