main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

G.I Joe....the real movie picture

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by whisperjedi, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Ok whatever... You ask our fine troops what they have over there and then come talk to me. Yes, the technology and weaponry is getting better, but you have to understand that putting a soldier in big heavy armor and goofy helmets doesn't help them when their humpin' it out it the field, it hurts 'em. You also don't want to put them in big helmets that might impare their peripheral vision. I guess I could see using some of the items for for a particular op, light night vision, but nothing like that.

If you pay attention to that article it specifically talks about the difference between what is possible and what is being used. The crap in that picture is not being used. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but it ain't bein used. And no, they don't dress our troops or elite whatevers like friggin X-men.... Because leather padding and plastic armor doesn't really do the trick against bullets and grenades. Elite forces dress very much like the squad that invades the X-Mansion in X2.

And Body armor isn't really a new development... Kevlar, what's typically used, has been around since 1965... Unless of course you mean steel plates, wich have been around since the medieval ages. ;)

These outfits are just Hollywood make believe and that's cool, I just wish they'd have stuck to the original look.

D_M_S_L

2. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    That's what the armoured exoskeletons are for. ;)

Unless, of course, said "big helmet" actually aids their peripheral vision.

Yes, and...?

Seriously, I'm pretty sure we're all aware that that particular Future Warrior concept suit is only a mock-up meant to demonstrate what the ideal future soldier might look like.

The thing is, if ever and whenever this concept actually becomes reality (as in the future depicted in the G.I. Joe movie), it's not going to be "leather padding and plastic armour", but rather liquid reactive armour and advanced ballistic polymers.

Again, I'm pretty sure we're all aware of what real-world, contemporary troops look like, but G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero has always been set "somewhere in the near future" in terms of military technology, hence the strength-enhancing armoursuits.

Did anyone say it was? No, the point is not that the concept of body armour in general is a new development, but rather that the types of body armour that continue to be introduced into service most definitely are.

Actually, they've been around a good deal longer than that. They fell out of use after the Fall of Rome, came back into use when Medieval Europe reached a level of technological sophistication that enabled production of it, gradually decreased in use again until disappearing almost completely in the 19th century, saw a resurgence in use amongst German trench raider units in the First World War, fell out of use again, and showed up again amongst some Soviet ground units in traditional steel vest form and among USAAF bomber crews in the form of padded "flack jackets", and finally appeared in the nylon body armour vests worn by US troops in Vietnam, before being replaced completely by the all-Kevlar PASGT, which was in turn replaced by the Interceptor Outer Tactical Vest system in 2003, which introduced the use of ceramic Small Arms Protective Insert plates, and is itself in the process of being replaced by the Improved Outer Tactical Vest for the Army, and the Modular Tactical Vest for the Marines (which are themselves only intermediary designs as more advanced armours are developed), while Special Operations Forces may prefer to wear alternate armour systems such as Eagle Industries' CIRAS, the Paraclete RAV, or any of the wide range of commercially-available SAPI plate carriers worn over a Kevlar ballistic vest.

Yeah, 'cause Duke's pristine khaki dress shirt is just the height of military cool. o_O :p

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I have no problems with the black costume. We've already been through this with X-Men. As long as the characters are good then the costumes will be a non-issue.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Writers' previous credits: Swordfish (mediocre--does have the ironic line by Travolta about bad movies, but otherwise not noteworthy), Hitman (again, not really impressive), and PotC trilogy (OK, the first one was good because they'd been working on it for years, but the other two were awful because they didn't know what they were doing, they'd been pressed into doing them on very little notice, and it all shows). Now, given that they haven't been developing the script for years, I doubt this will be any prize.

If you remember, the first wave of G.I.Joe were uniforms. There were 5 patterns for 11 figures: Rock&Roll with the bandaliers, Scarlet as the only female, Flash & GrandSlam with the laser padds, short fuse & Zap with artillery harness, and everyone else had the same suspenders with grenages & knives. Slalker was the same with a cammo pattern, while snake-eyes was all black. OK, Breaker and Clutch had short sleeves, but otherwise the same.
    It wasn't until wave 2 that the silliness started, and wave 3 when any idea of military uniform was almost dismissed. That was also about when Cobra stopped using real vehicles and relied entirely on fantasy crap.
    As for the movie costumes, eh. Very modern comic-booky movie flick. What they would be for elite troops: exactly the same as normal troops, except they'd have access to all the latest toys on demand, including experimental equipment. They'd even have access to stuff that doesn't officially exist.
    How tough are GIJoe's elite standards: They don't take all the Navey SEALs who apply--only about 3 of them. Their training requirements include having to watch drivers' ed movies for days on end without falling asleep, doing recon for the real team, and other tests of endurance on top of all the specialized training in their individual fields.
    Not people to be taken lightly. At least lvl4 if not 5 (see article "Aragorn was only 5th level).

So, it this going to be a good movie? Well, there's a remote possiblility, but don't count on it. At least neither Michael Bay nor Jerry Bruckheimer seem to be involved. That's the only possitive sign I've seen. Wait & see. Won't be rushing to the theaters, that's for sure.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Many and myself are quite happy with the POTC trilogy as a whole and as individual movies. So this guy writing GI Joe is a good thing.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Swordfish and Hitman were decent, middle-of-the-road flicks. Not great, but bad either. POTC was at least pretty well plotted and integrated into one another, and juggled multiple storylines and characters pretty effectively (the only place it fell short on was it was perhaps too subtle at times, as people who weren't really paying attention tended to miss certain points they later complained or wondered about, even though the film outright addresses most of them). It's a good start on the writing end, with hopes they can raie their game a little.

8. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    It's not the costumes that bother me.

It's the change of EVERY major character's nationality and background.

"A Real American Hero"? Not in this movie, more like "A Real United Nations Hero".

And no Cobra.

Snake Eyes talks?

Joes aren't based in America?

Smells like Politically Correct crap to me.

9. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Debates about the possible advances of military gear aside...

The costumes, for me, just take away some of the character's individuality. The same way it did, for me, with the X-Men. With that, though, I was able to look past it because it wasn't a huge part of the flick... Maybe it's the same here, I don't know. I'm probably not gonna waste the $15 to go see it anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

D_M_S_L

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not sure what you're talking about- most of the characters I've seen so far have the same nationality. We're told this is an origins story for Cobra and Cobra Commander. They've specifically dispelled the rumor that the Joes are based in Belgium- they're based out of The Pit. Haven't heard about Snake Eyes talking, from what I can recall- though I could see him talking early in the film or via flashback if they're showing why he took a vow of silence.

11. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Dig around for the info. It's out there. A reliable person on hisstank.com did a script review a month or so ago, and according to the site moderators and the vets on that site he DOES have contacts with Paramount.

No, the Pit isn't in Brussels anymore. It's in Egypt.
    Hawk is British
    Scarlett is Australian
    Snake Eyes is FRENCH
    Storm Shadow is Korean, and a "throw-away" character, like Maul in TPM
    The Baroness is American
    And Cobra Commander is an ex-U.S. Soldier with a grudge against Duke.

Cobra isn't in the movie. It's Destro and MARS, with Cobra Commander in a "Background" role. Think Palpatine in TPM.

Here's a link to the heated discussion on hisstank. Warning, some bad language!

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7723

12. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    So they're multi-national. *shrug* I've been a fan of GI Joe since the early 70s, and oddly enough, this doesn't bother me. I think it's actually kind of forward thinking and globally inclusive... if it even proves correct.

13. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah I'm not really bothered about thier nationality, but most of the team should probably be American just for traditions sake.

14. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Although it is weird that Baroness is now American, when she was German before -- right? And how can Hawk be British -- isn't Dennis Quaid playing Hawk? Why would the filmmakers hire an all-American guy like Quaid and cast him as a Brit? I think this so-called "reliable person" at the above-linked site just miiight be pulling our collective leg.

15. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah I'm pretty sure Hawks an American, all the pictures I've seen he appeared wearing an American uniform.

16. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ ... which totally invalidates this supposed "reliable" source.

17. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    So I spent a little time reading through the above-linked thread. What loki41872 neglects to mention is that the reviewed script is a draft version, written prior to Larry Hama's involvement in the project. Since Hama created Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, among many other Joe characters, I sincerely doubt he will allow those characters to be re-cast as French. And saying "Cobra isn't in the movie" when Destro, Cobra Commander, Zartan and Baroness are the villains is like saying there are no Sith in The Empire Strikes Back.

18. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Hawk is wearing a U.S. Military uniform? In what picture?

This one?

[image=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/loki41872/gijoehawk2.jpg]

This is not a uniform currently worn by ANY of or branches.

It's close to U.S. Army Dress Blues, but not quite.

Larry Hama? He was on set for HALF OF ONE DAY. In an interview posted on the web the day after his set visit, many people remarked that he looked drunk or confused. We finally decided that he was trying to figure out how to describe his experience on-set without loosing the check they wrote him to get his "blessing".

There are at least 2 people on hisstank that are known to work for Hasbro. How is it known? Cause they've done panels at the G.I. Joe convention and can verify who they are. They say the toys and packaging that Hasbro is working on right now for the spring release of the movie toys next year agrees with the script. AICN posted a synopsis of this same script that was removed by request of Paramount.

No Cobra in the movie, yes it's true. The villian is Destro and his MARS forces. The Baroness, Storm Shadow and Zartan all work for Destro, not Cobra Commander. Cobra Commander is only called that because calling him "The Evil Doctor" is stupid. By the end of the movie, CC has taken control of Destro and his forces and will apparently re-name the whole thing Cobra for part 2.

If there is one.

19. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Sorry, but I remember huge, GAPING holes and plot idocies in the latter 2 PotC movies. Things that just
    did
    not
    make
    sense.

So, with Davey Jones dead, is it now Bill Turner's locker?
    Pirates are criminal scum. Always have been. Closest thing you could find to them being "good guys" is if one of them was honorable criminal scum. Letters of Marque were briefly discussed, but not in depth. Thus, people aspiring to be Pirates doesn't make a lot of sense.
    the waterwheel battle was just stupid
    Let's see... on the one side, we have over a thousand ships, lead by the supreme supernatural bad___ vessel. On the other side, we have less than 100 ships. What happens? One ship from each side goes forward. That's it. Just one. OK, so the supreme supernatural freakshow goes down. The ship that took it out is also going down. So... why do the 1000+ships turn & run? Why not wipe the silly pirates out while they're assembled in one place? Why?... Um...
    Yeah.
    And the whole bit about becoming part of the ship almost made sense, until they turned around & changed the rules.
    And the sword-fighting <wince>. Boy, you can sure tell that Bob Anderson wasn't helping them out anymore.
    So, no, I can't aggree that the three movies are well integrated and consisantly logical. My understanding is that the DVD commentary has the writers and director pretty much saying the same things: "We put this together on the fly. We had no idea what we were going to do. We had no idea what we were doing."
    But enough of that--it belongs in the PotC thread.

Uh, the nationalities themselves aren't a problem. Where they've chosen to assign them is.
    Barroness should be Eastern European (Hungary, Austria, Germany, balkans...)
    Snake eyes vow of silence??? That's NOT why he doesn't talk.
    StormShadow is supposed to be Japanese-American. Korea is not famous for Ninja.
    Quick-Kick could be Korean.
    Have to go with Cobra Commander being a disgruntled used car salesman who followed the KKK/Dewey Long path to glory & power. Much better than the mad scientist in the basement or the freak alien monster from the Caucauses.
    In Europe (and I presume elsewhere), G.I.Joe was marketed as "Action Force" with modified nationalities. Don't know what all of them were.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree on the fleet battle, actually. The waterwheel was really, really fun, though!

21. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah I thought that final seabattle in POTC was a big disappointment, hopefully the writers have learned thier lessons.

22. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    It certainly evokes the US Military uniform, even if it doesn't belong to any specific branch but is more of an amalgamation. In any case it defintely isn't British, and neither is Quaid. The day he effects an English accent to play a military leader wearing that outfit is the day I enroll in the Marines.

Not all screenwriting partners or creative consultants -- which I understand is the capacity Hama has been hired to serve in -- visit or are even allowed on set. For example, Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the final screenplays of ESB, ROTJ and Raiders of the Lost Ark, never visited the set of any of those films. That Hama came to the GI Joe set for a few hours of one day is no indication of his lack of involvement in the writing process.

Okay, but with a year to go changes could easily be made to the character backstories printed on the backs of the cards, reverting to their Hama-authored origins.

Great, so the film establishes Cobra's origins. This is a far cry from your earlier assertion that "Cobra is not in the movie", to which I objected.

23. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Having Hama as creative consultant instills some confidence, Skip Woods & Stuart Beattie....Swordfish.

24. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    I wish I could have your positive outlook for this movie, Vortigern, but everything I've seen and read so far doesn't give me much hope.

All indications are:

Hama did no such thing as consult. He has brought in to look around, get a check, and tell the world how much we were gonna loooove this movie.

They are three-fourths of the way through filming. It's too late to change much. And set-spies (We had those for the Prequels, remember?) say that they ARE filming that script. Changing something on the back of a filecard does nothing to change Dennis Quaid trying to pull off an English accent.

I hope I'm wrong, but this thing just screams "Godzilla '98".

We shall see. Spoilers should soon start hitting all over the net. They aren't really keeping a tight lid on this thing. Reportedly people can wander on and off the set like it's a Denny's buffet.

25. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    Really? I guess that's why Paramount was so fast to issue C&D orders to folks posting the newest pictures and to Latino Review with they review of the SHOOTING script rather than an 18-month old script that was completely re-written...

...Yup....guess Paramount has no cares what's out there.....

BTW, I read that review before Latino Review had to take it down, and it was absolutely NOTHING like those earlier drafts. The review gave detailed - as it, nearly-shot-by-shot detail - of the first act of the film, and it comes across as exciting, action-packed, and....well, good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.