main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

G.I Joe....the real movie picture

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by whisperjedi, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    It's nonsensical, that's what.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    So don't go see it, and quit complaining then.

You realize both of those pictures were taken at the same location, and probably the same scene shoot, right?

You're automatically assuming that's the way she goes around in the whole movie.

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    No.

And I am going to go see it, if only out of loyalty to Ray Park. [face_peace]

If she isn't wearing armour in a situation where she's toting a submachine gun and has blood running down her face, it's unlikely she'll be wearing armour anywhere else. ;)

4. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I cannot believe what people are arguing about with this flick... I mean really?

D_M_S_L

5. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Here's my nickle on these photos, personally, they look like something outta a "B-movie" like Roger Corman's Fantastic Four. Have no indicator whether these make the movie look promising or not. It could be shot like the "Bourne films" & I'd be happy or even the earlier "Jack Ryan" films. Not too crazy about advance photos- it's all spoilers 2 me. Don't betray my youth, again...Hollywood.

Worse case...it'll turn out 2 be "Navy Seals".

Let's remember what G.I.Joe is really all about...selling plastic.

Yo-joe!

6. ZodVertigo

ZodVertigo Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sold on the movie already, as a huge fan of GI Joe, even if it is crappy, which from screenshots, doesn't seem to be the case

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Considering how incrediblly crappy the prequels were, I lost all hope of good movies coming out of hollywood.
    I automatically expect everything to suck. I am seldom disappointed, and every once in a long rare while, pleasantly surprized.
    Given the source material for Transformers, there was no excuse for that movie being the utter crapfest it was. Yet in spide of that, the writers managed.
    We'll see what happens with this one eventually. You'll probablly see it next year. I'll see it 3 months later when it reaches DVD.

8. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000

Setting aside the fact that I actually enjoyed the Prequels, I thought I'd point out that they didn't come out of Hollywood. George Lucas doesn't work within the Hollywood structure, doesn't answer to any studio execs, etc, so if there are issues, they can't be pointed at some 'studio hack' disrupting the process....

The reason you never see Lucas up for any of the big awards, even back in the day w/ Empire and RotJ, and the reason Spielberg didn't direct any of the SW movies (as he wanted to) is because they weren't DGA or Academy-sanctioned productions.

The point I'm making? If this is your basis for mistrusting movies as a whole, it's misguided. And if you think that good adaptation movies can't come out of the Hollywood system, take a look at Iron Man....the creators cared, and the product shows it...

and I'm STILL psyched for this movie!

9. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005

I have no expectations for anything...that comes out. That's why I have no faith in trailers/spoilers etc. My "crazy" thinking would be not 2 be shown or told anything..it would be "G.I.Joe..May 7th, 2009" and that's it. I reserve judgement til after the movie.

My last "G.I. Joe" experience was meeting Larry Hama...and he said that he wasn't involved...2 years ago." And I just nodded...in agreement.

10. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I for one am cautiously optimistic. I like what I'm seeing so far, and I don't mind a few changes to costumes and origins so long as the spirit of the thing is maintained and the movie is entertaining and character-driven. Sommers has a spotty record, but the first two Mummy movies are certainly a fun ride. I hope he'll deliver here.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Actually, it's just my example that was off, not my mistrust. The last few times I was interested or excited about movies I was totally underwhelmed.
    Yes, I've heard about the problems with ESB--the industry wanted to fine all the actors, so Lucas paid all the fines for them and thumbed a raspberry at "The Academy" to secure his rep as an outsider. Of course, the real reason he hasn't secured an oscar or whatever is because while he has good ideas, it's the people arround him executing them that make them work as well as they do. I find it interesting that the movies that Lucas has the least outside "interference" from are actually the better ones. SW was under 20th C Fox, answering to higher authority. ESB was mostly done by others, with Lucas rubberstamping. RotJ & Prequels were almost entirely Lucas' show. SW was good. ESB was Great. Then you have the rest.

I was mildly interested in Transformers. PotC2 was a major letdown after the first, and 3 was almost even worse. Mummy 2 could and should have been excellent, but flubbed. While technically brilliant, Curse of the WereRabbit had a story that was pretty weak. And Crouching Tiger was just boring wirefu with industry PR--guess hollywood had no idea what Hong-kong cinema had been doing for so long that it was old-hat there. (Wirefu is so developed that it's even used in some adult movies)

Now, on the other hand, V for Vendetta proved both that the Wachaski (or however you spell it) brothers could actually produce a good movie, and that Natalie Portman could act (thus also proving that her stilted, wooden, boring performances in the Prequels were entirely Lucas' failure, not hers).

In general, I assume a movie will stink.
    To augment that assumption, I have a rule: any movie in which the trailer uses music from another film, and is not a sequel to that movie, will stink. Example: The Saint trailer used music from The Shadow and The Rock, and stunk worse than both combined. (actually, I liked The Shadow, but it did have some flimsy bits)

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I was under the assumption that Larry Hama was at the very least a consultant on this film.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Not at first. He was brought in later, after (supposedly) much script revision

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Um, you realise that the vast majority of non-sequel movies uses music from other movies in their trailers? Some reuse music made specifically for use in trailers and a few use music made especially for that trailer (and later reused by others), but most reuse music from other films because their own scores haven't been recorded yet.

Some examples: Conan the Barbarian music was heavily used in the Gladuiator trailer, Dark City in X-Men's, etc. There are also several old standbys used in lots of trailers- "Bishop's Countdown" from Aliens, "Fire in a Brooklyn Theater" from Come See the Paradise, the theme from Stargate and the theme from Dragonheart being among the most notable.

Now, not all are so noticeable and use less recognizable themes, but still, very few movies have original music in their trailers.

15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yes, I do realize that. "Last Starfighter" and "The Rocketeer" are other commonly used themes.
    Most movies use music from other films in their trailers. Most movies are awful.

My point holds. ;)

16. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    Larry Hama wrote every issue of Marvel's "G.I.Joe", and character file...if they brought him on board then that bodes well, however, the Hollywood machine can still mess it up.

I'll just continue 2 watch my G.I.JOE cartoons in the meantime.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] ok, I disagree, but fair enough.

I love that most trailers use other film music, though- tons of tracks I've hunted down cause I heard them in a trailer but never saw the movie they were made for :D

18. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Here's a pic of the GI Joe display at The Licensing International Expo 2008

[image=http://superherohype.com/nextraimages/gijoeexpo.jpg]

Edit: Clicking my image won't bring up the page so Here's a link so everyone can get a better look at it.

19. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000

That's not QUITE true...there were a few guest writers....

He was the architect, though, and I think it was smart move to bring him in. Even if it turns out to just be a PR deal (which I don't believe it was), it shows that the movie makers at least pay ATTENTION to the fanbase and what they want....

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So, what? They're making a new RoboCop? Or are they remaking it? Sheesh. Why?

21. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Patriotic plastic. ;)

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Some teaser posters have been released, which also reveal the full title of the film: G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra.

[image=http://www.film1.nl/images/plaatjes/44288.jpg]

[image=http://www.film1.nl/images/plaatjes/44285.jpg]

[image=http://www.film1.nl/images/plaatjes/44286.jpg]

Also, a rather bizarre anecdote regarding Sienna Miller's costume.

23. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Saw those a few days ago. I'm not really impressed with them as far as posters go.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    They seem like your typical character posters, but I like them. I like the full title as well.

25. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005

These posters just made me "wet"...well Miller's anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.