main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gallifrey Outpost: New Dr Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by AmberStarbright, Jan 3, 2006.

1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Now we have had the Christmas Invasion with clips from the upcomming new series it is time for a Dr Who discussion.

What do people think of David Tennant?
    What do people think of the characters like Sarah Jane Smith and K9?
    And what about Anthony Steward Head being in the new series?

BBC Dr Who Website

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Tennant > Ecclestone, to be sure. He just exudes the charisma that Ecclestone lacked, in my opinion.

3. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I agree, I liked Ecclestone. But when watching the Christmas Invasion Tennant just had the extra something for the part that Ecclestone didn't have. I am seriously looking forward to the new series and seeing what else Tennant adds to the role.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    QFT.

However I don't prefer Tennant because I didn't like Eccleston. I thought Eccleston was perfectly fine as The Doctor, but was disgraceful in his treatment of the role. One series is a cop out.

Anyway, as another comment about teh Doctor, I'll confess that it was on Christmas Day this year that I first discovered the character isn't called 'Doctor Who' but simply 'The Doctor', and that 'Doctor Who' is really a question. :p

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I though Ecclestone was an excellent Doctor, I think Tennant will be good but I thikn he'll bring something a little different to the role.

I don't know what it is but I think he'll be a different sort of timelord altogether.

Any one know what happened in the last great time war or is this something that is yet to be revealed?

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I for one was really impressed with the Christmas special. For the last series, I loved Eccleston as the Doctor, but I think Tennant is doing a much better job. I loved the bits when he was going on about "I really don't know who I am." and the mocking of the Sycorax leader and him quoting the Lion King. Watching Tennant as the Doctor in the second series isn't going to be great. I can't wait until it comes out. The trailer for it looked awesome, although the scene where Rose kisses him seemed sort of "whoa, she just sort of jumped on him". It'll be great to see K9. My dad has been a long-time fan of the series and he talks about it a lot. I have only seen the last series and the Dalek Invasion of Earth from the time of the very first Doctor, so I'm curious to see old characters from series' I haven't seen come back.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm still extremely bothered by the potential for new episodes in the upcoming series. The majority of them, once again, will be set on Earth. I can't stress how much this annoys me. I know the new seasons have been rooted in character development and family drama (a more serious Who), but I really don't think that can last very much longer. We need to get out of the our Solar System and explore the galaxy. Leave Mickey behind, leave the annoying Mother behind, and jusy ruddy explore the weird and wonderful Universe. If the series stays too rooted in Earth based stories in this next season, then I'm going to get annoyed with it. There comes a point where the quality of the show, and the performances, and the emotional involvement of the writing becomes irrevelatn and secondary to a fundamental lack of risk.

So yeah. No more Earth please.

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Hmmm...

What do you think of the Doctor going slightly "domestic" (meaning actually having Christmas dinner with Rose, Jackie and Mickey) in The Christmas Invasion after all the "Don't you dare turn this place domestic!" in the previous series?

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    If contradictions within his character can't be played with across a regeneration, then when can they? Besides, Eccleston's Doctor was always a fairly grizzly presence when faced with Mickey and Rose's mother... so a flip flop of sorts after a regeneration is maybe a nice touch, and a little bit of conflict / character resolution.

10. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] How did I know that I'd find you hear Amber? :p

On topic: I'm new to Dr. Who, only just starting to get into the fandom, but I like Anthony Stewart Head and I'm happy to see him in something new. :D

11. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    O:)

I am slowly turning you into a convert eh?

I think it works well with the domestication as it can be explained through the regeneration like Everton said

12. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Oops, looks like someone started another DW thread. [face_blush]

I do like David Tennant as the Doctor. He's got the same slightly manic edge to the character that Eccleston had - well, I suppose no Time Lord can ever be what anyone'd call normal - but it seems to manifest itself more as a rather pointed sense of humour than anything else. The Lion King quote, the Arthur Dent reference, "I need you to shut up!".

I'm still extremely bothered by the potential for new episodes in the upcoming series. The majority of them, once again, will be set on Earth.

Haven't most of the past ones been? (Genuine question - the old Doctor Who finished pretty much before I was born.) In Christmas Invasion in particular I got the feel that the Doctor, when he's got the whole of time and space to gallivant about in, has for some little time taken Earth under his wing: "It is defended."

That's pretty unambiguous, but I hope we get more elaboration on that. Why does he keep coming back to Earth? It's not as though he loses the memories of his previous incarnations and doesn't know that he's spent a lot of time hanging around with humans. Why come back? Why come back now? One of my favourite lines from the new series: "I've seen the fall of Troy - World War V - and now I'm going to die in a dungeon. In Cardiff!" Why does he keep getting mixed up with pathetic Earthlings?

From a slightly different point of view, though, I like the fact that Doctor Who isn't Star Trek. We're not seeking out new life and new civilizations here - this is a bunch of ordinary people who get thrown into a lot of extraordinary situations because the Doctor shows up.

I'd be interested to know if people are less bothered by Earth-based stories set in exotic time periods. Do the oddities of future Earth compensate for a familiar(ish) setting?

13. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    If you've seen the Eight Doctor (Paul McGann) meh Doctor Who movie, it gives a possible reason: his mother is a human. So that could have something to do with it. But who knows? (Heh, heh... I made a funny... Sort of.)

Gods, I love this show. I've been watching it since I was four. [face_love]

I'm very excited for the new season and I think it's cool we'll get to see Sarah Jane and K9 who I adored as a little girl. Even thought they did that silly 'K9 and Company' special. Anthony Stewert Head has already been involved in the 'whoverse' working with the Fifth (Peter Davidson), Sixth (Colin Baker) and Seventh (Sylvestor McCoy) in a three part series for the audio dramas that were done. I wonder if he's taking on a new role or reprising it? Most likely the former.

It looks as though we'll be sticking around Earth for much of the season again, if so, I hope we get to see more of U.N.I.T. since they played an integral part to the classic series, especially with the Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee).

Does anyone know if the actor who player Brigadier Gordon Lethbridge-Stewert (his name escapes me now) is still alive and kicking? He would be the most awesome blast from the past on the show having been, what could be deemed, the Doctor's longest companion.

So, I have a positive outlook on the new season.

Jellybaby anyone?

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I read that a large part of the reason that the Eccleston's series was based entirely on and around Earth was risk. The BBC were very unsure about putting alien worlds and such like on BBC ONE prime time Saturday night TV. The Doctor had been away for a long long while, and despite the new found SFX techniques available to the production nobody really knew what a Saturday night BBC ONE audience would make of it. So... they played it 'safe', they stayed within (relatively) familiar territory and kept human drama very much at the centre of things.

15. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    So... they played it 'safe', they stayed within (relatively) familiar territory and kept human drama very much at the centre of things.

And it worked well. I think one factor here though is that Eccleston left after one series - with a new Doctor for everyone to get used to, it'd be understandable if the BBC want to keep things familiar for a bit so we can get used to his new character.

However, IMO it'd be a pity if they didn't open it up at least for Tennant's second series. There've been noises about Rose leaving then, so with the loss of the Tyler household there's the potential to lose some of the 'domestic' aspect.

16. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    I read the reason Eccleston left was because he didn't want to be "typecast". Which is nuts because Tom Baker IS Doctor Who and always will be.

17. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    And really should have thought about that before taking the role

18. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I liked Eccleston alot as The Doctor, but from the first episode, I like Tennant more. He's just a little more quirky, which was nice. It's a tough balance but hopefully they'll strike it. I'll really have to see more of him, though, as he was unconcious for a good portion. I'm hoping they'llget off earth a wee bit more, too. Cheesy aliens are the tops!

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I absolutely love the new series.

Eccelstone was good, and had that zaniness, but I like Tennant better.

By the way, does anyone know when the CBC will be airing the new episodes?

20. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Apparantly after Hockey season finishes as they didn't want it clashing, that is what I heard anyway. When I find out more I will post it :)

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Fantastic!

22. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    The new series screens here in GB "in the spring". Which probably means April, maybe March if we're lucky. I can't wait to see Tennant's Doctor in action - he was brilliant in Christmas Invasion, but he did spend half the time unconscious and Rose took up a lot of screen time.

I like Tennant's Doctor's costume, too - formal and scruffy in about the right measure. Unique.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I was amazed at the size of the Tardis' wardrobe! :p

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I like Tennant's Doctor's costume, too - formal and scruffy in about the right measure. Unique.

After seeing it, my mum said: "Very retro."

I said: "It's brilliant!"

I was amazed at the size of the Tardis' wardrobe!

LOL -- I loved that scene -- very amusing, going through all the stuff in the wardrobe!

25. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    LOL -- I loved that scene -- very amusing, going through all the stuff in the wardrobe!

I liked the Davies in-joke with the Casanova costume.