main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game of Thrones - HBO

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I dislike the arbitrary changes to the show, and this is one of them. Margaery Tyrell is a teenager, a maiden, a virgin. That is part and parcel of her character. Who is going to believe that a woman in her early 30s is a virgin, or that she would willingly wed a 13-year-old boy? This casting is all wrong.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    And now, some casting news that is absolutely right: Gwendoline Christie is Brienne of Tarth!

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/07/08/game-of-thrones-season-two-casting-brienne/

Christie is 6'3", blond with blue eyes, and despite a few fashion-model-ish pics of her here and there about the 'Net, she is not traditionally beautiful, and can no doubt be made to look considerably less pretty by the HBO make-up staff. (Adding freckles and buck teeth will be a good start! :D)

GRR Martin, who was at the casting session, said:

"... we looked at a dozen actresses who were reading for Brienne and one actress who WAS Brienne. Gwendoline gave a great reading, and her look was just perfect. No, when she auditioned, she did not look she does in the photo above. She came in looking... well, like Brienne."

IMO Christie is too skinny, at present, to perfectly fulfill the role -- but I expect she'll bulk up a bit, learn to ride and fight, join the boys' club as it were. And of course in armor she'll look bulkier than her currently spindly frame. My wife has seen a video of the actress in a stage production, and reports that she has a very masculine style of movement. This is all to the good.

Brienne is my favorite character in the series, and I'm thrilled with this casting.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Game of Thrones has snagged a Best Drama Series nomination for the Emmys, as well as Peter Dinklage getting a nod for Supporting Drama Actor/

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Well deserved. Thanks for the news!

5. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    this just came to mind because I recently saw The Deathly Hallows 2, but doesn't Jason Issacs (Lucius Malfoy) seem like he would be great for playing the Mad King Aerys II Targaryen? Granted, we're not even sure that the Mad King will show up...somehow I doubt that the authors will include flashbacks so casting for Aerys
    II might not even be necessary.

Anyone speculating as to who will be cast as Asha? Also I hope the show runners finish reading Dance With Dragons before they make anymore casting decisions, because the part of Ramsay Snow just got a lot more important

Also, for those who have read the books:

what do you make of the show writers choosing to omit the hallucinations/dreams Ned had while imprisoned--you know, the ones about his sister Lyanna? As you (probably) know, those hallucinations, combined with a detail of Brann's dream that was similarly omitted (in the book, Ned wanted to talk about Jon in Brann's dream) is one of the most frequently cited pieces of "evidence" that Jon Snow is actually Rhaegar and Lyanna's bastard.

6. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The character of Asha has been renamed to Yara, presumably to avoid confusion with the wildling Osha. She will be played by Gemma Whelan. She and Brienne are the only season 2 characters cast so far, IIRC.

7. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Natalie Dormer was cast as Margaery Tyrell I while back.

8. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Stannis and Melisandre have been cast for Season 2. REPORTED AT EW.COM

I don't know who the actress is that is going to be Melisandre but she looks like she can fill the role nicely.

As for Stannis, I liked this guy in John Adams but he's not how I pictured Stannis in my mind at all. I guess we'll see what he looks like in full regalia.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Perfect casting, IMO.

10. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Now that Camelot is canceled, I would have liked Eva Green as Melisandre and Joseph Fiennes as Stannis. But these folks look pretty good for their roles.

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Melisandre looks like one of the better casting choices so far. Stannis, I'm not so sure about.

12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    [image=http://ewinsidetv.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cunningham-liam_240.jpg]

Liam Cunningham has been cast as Davos. I would have preferred Henry Ian Cusick, but this guy will serve.

13. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    I'm happy with this choice. He's a good actor and I can see him in the Davos role just based on appearance alone.

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Works for me. Davos is kind of non-descript; he could be played by almost any sufficiently decent actor who happens to be Caucasian and roughly middle-aged.

15. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    And is missing some fingers...

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Melissandra looks great. Nice casting choice.

I love Natali Dormer but she is going to feel kinda weird to me in the Margeray Tyrell role. She is a hot actress no doubt but I wouldev thought they would a went more teen girl with her....

17. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Oliver Ford Davies has been cast as Maester Cressen.
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/H74JO.gif]
    Joffrey approves of this casting.

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I just knew it was going to be Davies when Martin gave the clue "has hung with droids and Jedis". I'm not a big fan of his work -- I can always spot him acting, you know? -- but Cressen is a minor role, so /shrug/.

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I was kind of hoping for Ian McDiarmid for Cressen, actually. Maybe he'd be good as Qyburn instead.

20. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    When does the new season episodes start have they set a date?

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Probably next spring, around the same time that season 1 started.

22. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Booo - urns.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  24. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Hahaha, OMG that was awesome!

Ned: "I like his mustache."

25. TwoSeven

TwoSeven Jedi Padawan

Aug 6, 2011
    Surprisingly accurate despite the difference in budget :D Loving it, sharing it. Thank you!