main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA General Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AboutaSith, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
  2. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    [image=http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/Parkersuperpics/pseudoblog_ironman2poster500.jpg]

Towards the end of 2008's "Iron Man," James "Rhodey" Rhodes (played by Terrence Howard) looked at the early silver version of Tony Stark's high-tech armor and said to himself, "Next time, baby."

That "next time" is coming on May 7, when "Iron Man 2" hits theaters. And Rhodey will get his wish, donning the heavily-armored metallic suit that turns him into War Machine, a character that has been a part of the "Iron Man" comic books for 30 years. But getting superpowers isn't the only change for the character.

In a much-publicized contract dispute, Terrence Howard was dropped from the sequel and replaced by actor Don Cheadle. While the exact details of why Marvel Studios made the switch, Entertainment Weekly reported that Howard's original contract made him the highest-paid actor in the first film, and when the producers tried to scale back his paycheck for the sequel, Howard's representatives balked. Cheadle told IGN that he was approached for the role after Howard had already left the project, and he only had a few hours to decide if he wanted to step in.

A brief reference to the casting switch was revealed in footage director Jon Favreau screened for fans at this summer's San Diego Comic Con. In an early scene in the movie, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is being questioned by a Senate panel about Iron Man and James Rhodes is called to testify. When Rhodes' face is revealed to be Don Cheadle, he says, "It's me. I'm here. Get over it."

Of course, the moment in the Comic Con presentation that got the biggest reaction from the crowd was the reveal of Rhodey in his full War Machine armor. In the film, Rhodes takes the silver Iron Man suit to Stark's rival, Justin Hammer (played by Sam Rockwell), who outfits it with an array of weapons, including a machine gun turret on the shoulder. The preview ended with a quick shot of War Machine in full attack mode, and the 6,500 fans in attendance burst out in cheers at the sight.

So far, no official footage of War Machine has been released, but the first image of the suit debuted Monday here on Yahoo! Movies. In this teaser poster, the War Machine suit stands behind the updated Mark IV Iron Man armor.

It raises the question: are Stark and Rhodes standing together, back-to-back, in solidarity against a common enemy, or are they in opposition to each other. In the comic books, conflict between the two escalated into a feud, but later they were able to work together as friends. To find out if the two are comrades or combatants, we'll have to wait for "Iron Man 2" to arrive in theaters on May 7.

3. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Did you see the new trailer for Alice in Wonderland? I didn't realize it wasn't just a remake, but a different story altogether. Looks really cool!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbiizn_alice-in-wonderland-trailer-2-hd_shortfilms

4. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I didn't realize it either. Figured it was a remake of the old stuff. Looks like we get to see a lot of Johnny. Bummer. ;) To say the least, it looks interesting!

5. DarthMalum

DarthMalum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2006
    I totaly loved Sherlock Holmes it was funny and awsome

6. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    We saw it too. I didn't like it much. I thought it was really slow. But we've seen Avatar twice and it is all kinds of awesomeness.

7. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm looking forward to seeing Sherlock! Saw Avatar. For me, it was a good movie, but ran about 30 minutes too long.

8. delta_1138

delta_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2006
    I've never had to use the restroom more than I did at the end of that movie. But it was really good.

9. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    Iron Man 2 trailer...Fun fun fun!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026429/video/17204809/20091218/149/17204809-300-flash

10. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I saw Sherlock Holms last night. It was fun, interesting, a good story but I kept dozing off. Hmmm????

11. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    I just saw this on yahoo.com

Johnny Depp Sets Sail on Fourth 'Pirates' Movie by Matt McDaniel · January 20, 2010
    Captain Jack Sparrow will soon take to the seas again, and this time he is after the most sought-after treasure imaginable: the Fountain of Youth.

It was announced this week that the fourth installment of Disney's highly successful "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise will begin filming in Hawaii this summer. Johnny Depp once again plays the flamboyant Captain Jack, and Geoffrey Rush reprises his role as his adversary, Barbossa. However, costars Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are not expected to return.

The film's story is loosely based on the 1987 pirate novel, "On Stranger Tides" by award-winning fantasy author Tim Powers. The book tells the story of a young man -- coincidentally named "Jack" -- who is captured by the pirate Blackbeard and forced to join in the search for the Fountain of Youth.

Ted Elliott, the co-writer of the first three "Pirates" movies, said that the story of the novel just happened to align with where they wanted to take the fourth film. He told Empire magazine, "We wanted to do a story about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth, and Tim Powers wrote a book about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth... it just turns out that to do that story you would need that book."

Johnny Depp signed on to appear in the fourth movie in 2008, before there was a script. It was announced at the same time he would also be playing Tonto in a film version of "The Lone Ranger," but that project has been delayed until after "Pirates" is finished.

Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom have both said they had no desire to return for a fourth movie. Knightley said in an interview, "It was a completely fantastic experience, and it was an amazingly large portion of my life, but I don't think I need to go there again. I think that it's done." Also, the director of the original trilogy, Gore Verbinski, will not be coming back. He is being replaced by Rob Marshall, the director of "Chicago" and "Nine."

12. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    4 Color Fantasies will be having Midnight viewings of Iron Man 2 and Kick Ass. You may have rec'd the invite on facebook already, if not let me know and i'll pass it along.

13. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    No invite for me. Would you please pass it along? Thanks!!

14. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    Invite for Kari only or the whole group?:p

15. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    New Pirates movie, so cool. We will be to that one. Chrissy is sooo excited about it. Not sure how to get hold of that novel? I am sure it will pop up sooner or later.

16. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    The New Harry Potter movies will both be released in 3D as well as Clash of the Titans. The studio apparently really liked the look of it so spent the extra $5m to convert them. This has to bode well for eventually seeing Star Wars converted to 3D!

Also saw that Lucas's next film will be an animated 3d musical about fairies?!?

17. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Penelope Cruz has apparently signed on for the new Pirates movie. [face_dancing] Ian McShane is also close to signing on as blackbeard!

The Black Pearl is also in Hawaii getting prepared for filming in the summer. There's a story on it at aintitcool.com

18. delta_1138

delta_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2006
    Ian McShane would be a great Blackbeard.

19. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    Been a while since we've posted on this thread so here you go...

If you haven't seen "Toy Story 3," it's worth reading on for some fun facts you can impress your friends with. Slashfilm and ComingSoon.net have put together exhaustive lists of the Easter eggs hiding in "Toy Story 3," and the New Orleans Times-Picayune also did some digging and found a few pieces of trivia that bear repeating. Highlights of those lists include:

? "A113," the number of a classroom at CalTech where many Pixar animators studied, shows up as an Easter egg in every Pixar film. In the "Toy Story" series, it's the license plate on Andy's mother's car.

? Sid, the bully from the first movie who wears a skull T-shirt, appears as a garbage man in the new film wearing the same skull T-shirt.

? There's a postcard on Andy's dresser addressed from the featured characters from last year's "Up," Carl and Ellie Fredrickson.

? Lightning McQueen from "Cars" is referenced a few times throughout the film: A miniature toy car at the daycare center, on a child's shirt at the center and on a fictional train that shares McQueen's number, 95. That number is itself an Easter egg, referring to 1995, the year the first "Toy Story" was released.

? A calendar from Pizza Planet is clearly seen. Pizza Planet has appeared in every Pixar film except "The Incredibles."

? Pixar has a history of hiding a character to be featured in a later movie somewhere in a current film. Nemo first appeared in "Monsters, Inc." and "Toy Story 3" newcomer, Lots-o-Huggins Bear (who, ironically, is not very huggable), first appeared alongside a bed in "Up." A poster on Andy's wall shows a character from next year's "Cars 2." It shows Finn McMissile, a British sports car/secret agent who plays a major role in the sequel.

? Buzz Lightyear's batteries are from "Buy 'N' Large," the giant corporation responsible for ruining the planet in "WALL-E."

? Totoro, the furry, friendly creature from Hayao Miyazaki's Japanese animated classic "My Neighbor Totoro," shows up as a toy that Woody meets. Pixar founder John Lasseter has called Miyazaki an inspiration for his work, and Lasseter produced his most recent film, "Ponyo."

? A significant amount of the film takes place at a daycare center. At the daycare center, Mr. Ray the Scientific Stingray from "Finding Nemo" makes a cameo. Nemo himself appears as a sticker on Andy's toybox.

? "Toy Story 3" director Lee Unkrich performs one line in the movie, as the voice of the Jack in the Box character.

? The "Toy Story 3" screenplay took 2 1/2 years to write and storyboard.

? John Ratzenberger keeps his streak alive of appearing in every single Pixar film made to this point. For "Toy Story 3," he reprises his role as Hamm.

? Ken, voiced by Michael Keaton, was based on a 1988 version of him called "Animal Lovin' Ken" which included his "own chimpanzee to care for and love." Um, okay. The Barbie featured in the film is based on a 1983 version titled "Great Shape Barbie."

? Ken wears 21 different outfits in the movie.

? Woody has 229 animation points of movement in his face. Buzz has 215 animation avatars in his face.

? There are 302 characters in the film.

Full article:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-toy-story-3-easter-eggs.html

20. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    One word...TRON...check this out...holy business!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IpPpB3iWI

21. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    Your right! The trailer is great. Glad to see Jeff Bridges is back. Loved the movie in the first place. Would be a good time to get everyone together and go see this.

22. Sillof

Sillof Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks for the pixar trivia

23. Sillof

Sillof Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2010
    here is an image of pixar characters as star wars characters that I recently did

[image=http://www.sillof.com/images/drawing/group5.jpg]

24. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Awesome! Great job!

25. han-shot-first

May 6, 2006
    That is too cool...very original...I like it!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.