main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit General post NJO Discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, May 5, 2021.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its not so much that I can't see them having senior positions in Luke's NJO, it was more annoying that most of the leading Jedi of the Legacy era were actually from the prequel era instead of being from Luke's era.

Part of it was probably the author writing characters he's familiar with (from the Republic comics) and probably partially to avoid overlapping with the novels. Not like Kyp had any kids, and you never know when the novels might have killed off Corran's kids (what happened to them during FotJ was bad enough already).

A family tree would have been nice, but honestly I wanted more AG-37 screen time in Legacy vol 2, he was the best character there (and this was years before the Mandalorian).

JediAvatar, Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  2. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    My family tree comment was just tongue in cheek, I don't think that its necessary for them to fill in how the cast is related to each other and to prior generations (although I certainly wouldn't have minded getting that information). Besides, I had it all figured out and now I will never be proven wrong.

I would have rather the Jedi characters were just new characters. Draw some of them like they might be related to someone from previous works. If they want to end up making them related, you just have your characters have daughters.

Nobody145 and AusStig like this.
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I really like @JediAvatar idea to have Lowie in place of hat man.

The tree person could be that seed from Dark Empire.

Golbolco and JediAvatar like this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That was probably one of my problems with the Legacy comics, a bit too much of it seemed like a distant Republic sequel rather than a post-NJO work. The lore was great (the Legacy Era Sourcebook was one of my favorites) but the comic itself a bit less so.

Like the Chak cameo is one thing, K'kruhk and Tra'saa is another, but then there's Krayt himself which is starting to stretch things.

And actually Obi-wan's record of fighting Sith starts looking really awful around now. Leaving Vader on Mustafar, ok. Then his encounter with A'sharad actually made things worse. And this was years before they brought Maul too actually.

JediAvatar and AusStig like this.
  5. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I also don't like Krayt because he is just another fallen Jedi. He also a meta twist. Plus he would have been better if he was Jacen.

6. Destiny975

Destiny975 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2021
    How could Krayt have been Jacen? Agree on the fallen Jedi thing, though.

7. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So when the Legacy comics started, legacy of the Force also started. In fact I think they started the same month, either way I thought they were a new multi media project with Legacy of the Force starting the Story and Legacy comics tell a later part, thus Jacen would be come Krayt.

But it was not to be.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  8. JediAvatar

JediAvatar Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2020
    @AusStig
    @Riv_Shiel @Nobody145
    I agree with what all of you guys are saying. I’d also like to add that I’m not a fan of most of the NJO members in Legacy wearing prequel Jedi robes. Again it makes it feel like it’s more of a sequel to the Republic comic series rather than the NJO series.

As for the lack of Luke’s students, they wouldn’t all be dead because in Star Wars I’m pretty sure the natural lifespan of humans is longer than it is on our world. I read on Wookiepedia that it’s 100-120 years compared the the 80-90 years for us. So while Jedi like Kyp, Corran, Kyle, Tionne would be dead by this point, I see no reason why the younger generations like Valin Horn can’t be around. Maybe you could even have an elderly Allana around as Queen Mother.

9. Destiny975

Destiny975 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2021
    I think whoever Allana's children were would be Queen Mother by now (if Allana ever became Queen mother).

Even if you ignore the fact that the younger generation aren't around (which I believe can be rationalised) the children or at least grandchildren of the younger generation should be around. The author must have not known any of this. I think that the authors should know enough about the backstory before they write something. How is it that so less of them didn't know anything?

JediAvatar and AusStig like this.
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think Lowie was a MAJOR missed character. Wookies live for a couple hundred years right? he should be an old master by now.

Also some Horns or a Solustar running around.

11. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
    It’s actually a lot longer than that. According to Wookiepedia, the average lifespan for Wookies is over 400 years.

Checking Lowbacca’s Wookiepedia page, it says that he was born in 4ABY, the reference for that being the Official Star Wars Fact File 74. But it also says he appeared as a baby in Rebel Dawn which takes place a few months before ANH. So it’s impossible for him to have been born any time after ANH. It’s most likely that he was born around 3-1BBY, he could have been born earlier depending on how Wookie babies work and how quickly they mature, but this seems reasonable.

With this in mind he would have been 138-140 years old during the events of the Legacy comics, as those take place in 137ABY, which means he wouldn’t even be middle-aged for a Wookie, in fact he’d still be quite young by Wookie standards, which makes it even more annoying that he didn’t appear in the Legacy comics.

Slater, AusStig and Destiny975 like this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The writers of Legacy explicitly said they didn’t include characters like Lowbacca so as not to limit the creative freedom of the writers at Del Rey. I believe Jon and Jan did an interview on TFN itself where they explicitly said this.

Doompup and Riv_Shiel like this.
  13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Wow that´s quite rich given how much Legacy limited future inbetween content. Honestly Lowie was only really a bit character from NJO onwards, so confirming his survival would have been really a minor thing compared to the other stuff they set in stone...

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If Legacy was written later on, what from TOR, DOTJ, Darth Plagueis, KE, LOTF, FOTJ, etc. would you have liked to see referenced?

15. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
    I’m aware but given the quality of the post NJO novels I don’t think it was worth it. Besides I highly doubt they could come up with a compelling story where Lowbacca dies in a meaningful way that has a huge impact and results in a great story. All the big character deaths in the post NJO were done only to result in a plot device that serves as a cheap gimmick for the authors to use to get around certain problems. Like Mara being killed by Caedus so Luke can’t just finish him off otherwise he’ll fall to the dark side and become an evil cackling Sith Lord. Either that or they were just done for shock value.

It seems as though the only way for the post-NJO to have any gravitas is for the authors to kill off all the characters and for the readers to have that constant fear that anyone could die at any moment.

If Lowbacca appeared in Legacy then a good writer would be able to tell interesting stories about him in the books between Crucible and Legacy. If a writer can’t do that because a character is alive in stories that take place after theirs, then that just goes to show their limited ability as a writer.

Riv_Shiel, Slater and AusStig like this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    And they couldn’t do that, because they were forbidden from killing off the big three.

Slater likes this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    They could have just had the big three out of events. I mean they are old and have suffered a lot of wounds.

Riv_Shiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    TUF was pretty clearly seeding the idea that Luke's wounds from his fight with Shimmrra were going to permanently knock him out of his prime and Jacen was going to step up as the new leading figure in the Order.

Which could have obviously lead to Luke getting a nice retirement from always having to be front and center. But lolllll we all know how that went.

19. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
    @Slater
    You just reminded about something.

Luke at the end of TUF: every Jedi has to follow his or her own path, I realise now that there’s more to being a Jedi than running around and swinging your lightsaber at the nearest bad guy.

Luke in DNT and basically the entire Denningverse: if you’re not in the Jedi Temple (cause that’s where all the good stories are at), wearing Jedi robes, and wielding a lightsaber GTFO!

Slater, Nom von Anor, AusStig and 3 others like this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That was one of Denning’s pet obsessions. Everything had to be at the Jedi temple. Apparently the galaxy barely existed outside of it.

I don’t know if that was because he was just fixated on that location, or he legitimately could not imagine stories outside of it and Coruscant.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He preferred Jaina/Zekk, because he couldn't think of a plot for Jaina/Jag in Imperial Space.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah that is weird. He pretty much says that in Dark Nest. It is such a weird thing to repudiate. Though I guess it fits his views.

I don't think they were related. I think he preferred Jaina/Zekk AND he couldn't think of a story for her in Imp space.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    You know, as much as we criticize Denning, I’ve always felt it was unfair-both to the fans and the man himself that he was never given a serious and prolonged interview about all this.

He has a TFN account, or he did at any rate. I’d love to hear his unfiltered and candid word on this-or as much as he can give, given he has mentioned still in effect NDAs.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

He's responded to people on Twitter and facebook (Though it might just be twitter) certain questions.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So does anyone think anything interesting or at least notable happened in the periods between book series.

Important to note that there is a five year gap between the NJO and DNT(or six arguably), four years between DNT and LOTF, and two years between LOTF and FOTJ.

Combined that’s a period of 12 IU years that we have only stuff from the essential guides to fill in.