main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas ended my childhood at Leicester Square

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by NoLongerAFan, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoLongerAFan

NoLongerAFan Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    I was at the premiere of Star Wars on Monday. I have since changed my views on Star Wars. So much so that I will not be seeing the new movie and will be dropping my 400 odd strong Star Wars memorabelia collection off at the local tip. I have been a Star Wars fan since I was 6, when my father took me to see the first Movie. I am now 33, and up untill yesterday I was still a die hard fan.
    I spent the entire day, from 6am in the morning, at Leicester Square, just to see one man and hopefully get his autograph, George Lucas.
    The entire day was bloody great, despite the fact that it rained and was freezing. The Storm Troopers and Jedi walking around were a lot of fun and really took the time to make sure the fans were entertained. The orchastra was incredible, and the whole thing was very well organised. Steve Sansweet arrived very early and spent hours talking to fans like myself, and signing autographs for us. The whole atmosphere was incredible.
    I had secured a place right opposite the entrance to the theatre, on the fence. When George Lucas finally arrived and started signing autographs, he came straght over to where I was and started about 10 people up from me. He signed everything that was put in front of him, until it came to me. I had brought an official Lucasfilm Stormtrooper that I have had and treasured for years, and up untill yesterday had never taken out of its box. George signed the person next to me's Light Saber, took hold of the leg of my storm trooper, pen poised, looked me straight in the eye, mouthed "No", and without signing, moved on to sign the person next to me's photo.
    I was, and still am, in shock. When he eventually finished signing and walked back up the carpet, he turned his head and shook it as he looked at me as he passed by.
    What the hell?
    I have bought every movie that he made. I bought the the original edition VHS tapes when they came out. I bought the remastered version when they came out. I then bought the DVD's when they came out. I have over 400 toys, books, posters and various Star Wars Items. I loved everthing Star Wars and George Lucas. The pride of my collection was the Stormtrooper. I couldn't believe it when it looked like I was going to get my hero's autograph on it. In that one split second after George Lucas refused my autograph, my love for Star Wars died. I know I am 33 years and probably to old to collect toys, look up to my hero George Lucas and love Star Wars. Well now I really know it.
    Was it because the toy was an older one and he thought I hadn't paid good money on a newer one? Is it a case of for every 20 people he graces with his autograph he destroys one's heart? Didn't like my face? I would really like to know.

When was the last time you couldn't sleep because you were too excited about the coming day?

2. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    Maybe he didn't sign it because he thought you would try to sell it. I'm fairly certain that George isn't familiar with your history of dedication but he probably was aware of how much money your stormtrooper would fetch.

3. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    As aposed to the people who WILL sell thier signed photos? He had to have known that for me to be in that position at the premier I would have had to have been one of the first people there. And I was, apart from the 18 nuts that slept there overnight.

4. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    And, no-one in thier right mind, especially a die hard fan willing to stand in the rain for 14 hours, would sell an autographed item like that.

5. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    they would if it would sell for enough, and i wasn't suggesting you're not a big fan

maybe he thought signing a figure would be complicated because it is pen on plastic and would have taken a lot more time than signing a photo on paper (which is meant to be written on). he did have other things to do that day. how was he to know you were there for hours, he may have had no idea the square was that busy until he turned up. I think it's stupid to stop being a fan because Lucas didn't give you an autograph. does that suddenly make the films bad? if somebody else had written and directed them in exactly the same way would you have not liked them because it wasn't George?

6. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    He was about to sign it, stoped, looked me in the eye, mouthed "NO" and moved on! When he walked back up the carpet he looked at me again and shook his head. Even the people around me were shocked. And as for it being to hard to sign, he was signing lightsabres that were thinner than the leg of my ST.

7. Master_Solo

Master_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2004
    I don't believe this...I refuse to.

Dude if this is genuine then I definately feel for you.

8. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    you still think it's worth stopping liking the films?

exactly the same thing has happened to me, the lead singer of my favourite band came and sat next to me a gig once. i've been a fan of this band for years. i asked him for an autograph, he asked me to wait a bit, then he ran off. I still think they make great music, what's that got to do with the person who makes it?

9. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Maybe it was a genuine misunderstanding - he saw that you had a pristine stormtrooper doll, and that you were trying to increase its value. Maybe he thought you were someone else he had a run-in with previously, and didn't quite like...... I'm sure there must be a reason!

I can understand you must feel gutted, but give him a second chance - I'm sure he'll come through for you in the end!

10. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    we;; put Raj. I'm sorry if i sounded harsh earlier but the films are bigger than being mistreated by one man. i feel sorry for you and would be angry if it happened to me, but does that ruin the Battle of Yavin? does it make it any less impressive when Luke gets his hand cut off?

11. Master_Solo

Aug 20, 2004
    Yeah but when Qui Gonn/Ben die it may bring up unpleasant memories of the word NO! XD

12. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    Master_Solo, unfortunately it is very genuine. I am absolutely gutted. I skipped being upset and jumped straight to pissed off.

Stuey, For me, Star Wars and Lucas were the same thing. A great movie made by a great man. A man who got the better of the Big Shots. Turns out he is nothing but one of them in the end. The movies are still good, but now I see them for what they are, a lie. I used to believe he did it for the love of it, for the creativity. Now I know it was the money all along. Forget everything he has said to the contrary in interviews. All a lie.

Raj_Vader, how am I supposed to give him another chance? Attend the next premier? Sorry, but what he did to me was pure ugly. The only thing I can think of is he thought I would sell the item (and, sorry, but so what if i did?) and he wouldn't get his slice of the pie. $4Billion not enough Georgie boy?

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Nowadays signed photos are not worth that much since loads of people have them.
    Either Lucas has had a falling out with Lucasfilm and that Stormtrooper got him annoyed or he genuanly thought you'd try and sell it.
    After all, there were a lot of dishonest people who bought galactic passports and sold them for vast sums of money.

14. Master_Solo

Aug 20, 2004
    Hey,at least Lucas interacted with you.

I got an amazing grin from Rick McCullum after ROTS though when I told him it was "****ing awesome!".

15. Sebulba_Sloan

Sebulba_Sloan RSA Alumni star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 2002
    I can feel you hate!

Don't fall to the Dark Side dude! Hate leads to suffering - Lucas is the figurehead but by no means do the films embody him.

Seb

16. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    Anyone know Steve Sansweets email addy? Or how to get hold of him? I seriously want an explanation and after talking to him on Monday I'm pretty sure he could explain it.

17. aisha1

aisha1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    even if he signed your ST or not I think what has hurt the most is his reaction. I am sure he could of just ignored you ( sorry to sound harsh ) rather then look you in the eye and say "no".

I don't blame you for being so peeved, it would put me off too. But maybe you should try and see it as "ok the whole star wars was his idea , but its people like Carrie fisher, Samual L Jackson and Ian Mcdirmaid ( sorry probably spealt that completely wrong) that really make the film.

18. Sebulba_Sloan

Sebulba_Sloan RSA Alumni star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 2002
    ^---- what I said :)

Seb

19. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    Sorry, I disagree, or would have if I was still a fan. The actors were never part of the star wars thing. For me it was always about the story, about Lucas and about the love of Star Wars. Sometimes the acting was great, sometimes it was ****te, same thing goes for the actors, but for me that never mattered.

20. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Hmm - I forgot the bit about writing him a letter or dropping him an e-mail [face_blush] - but you figured that out already :D

Ask for an explanation - I'm sure if you say what you have on this forum you'll get some sort of reply!

21. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    But where to send it to be sure of a response?

22. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I really feel for you, George is not always great with the fans. Write a e-mail ASAP and send it to all the Lucas companies (This way you can be sure you get lots of infor back).

Send it soon because your e-mail will lose affect the longer you wait.

23. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    I can imagine that really hurts. George Lucas always comes across as a very genial guy and its really surprising to hear your story.

It doesn't sound like it was personal so hang in there.

24. Newteh

Newteh Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    I think you should e-mail it to them.. ask for an explination, and also ask them to query the man himself over this.

If it wasn't for the fans, he would be nowhere.. i think Lucas is great but if there is a reason and he probally remembers that moment then ask for it.

Regards

(p.s. you could allways forgive him for it, it might help :p)

25. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    Anyone got any suggestions on where to send the email?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.