main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Greek Myth] The Sun Does Not Rise(Dear Diary Challenge 09, diary of Thanatos and Hypnos)Update 4-15

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Neon Star, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Title: The Sun Does Not Rise
    Author:Neon Star
    Fandom: Greek Myth
    Notes: Here's to hoping this fits. Felt the random urge to try Geek mythology on my favorite twins. Likely no one has ever heard of them. :p The first part is Thanatos, the second will be Hypnos. These two tend to mirror each other, thus why they're currently sharing a journal. They sometimes will be in the same post together.

Entry One:

To the start of a new day, or is it night? Not that it really matters, for I am ever awake, and it is always dark before my eyes. That comes from being death though, so one just learns to live with it.

Besides, darkness helps me do my work, it makes sure that any annoying half gods that are lingering around my prizes can?t see me when I come, thus eliminating the threat of them. Another reason why darkness is good is that it cloaks my feeding habits from my sensitive brother, who has no stomach for blood.

But, as is, I am sure you are wondering who I am, and I have only been vague. Thanatos of gentle death, head minion of Hades, god of the underworld and wealth, son of Nyx of dark night, twin older brother of Hypnos of delicate sleep, and an elder brother to a score of others, at your service. Despite this being really only for my service, and that of my twin?s, as we will be the only two sharing this book.

I should be glad I was feeling generous enough to use my short introduction, the long one usually takes an hour, and several pages to write down, and I always forget something. At any rate, that by which I have made myself known is all that is important to me. The only sibling I really care about is my twin, the rest are either annoying or insane, though I shall not name names, yet.

My mother is someone I would like not to anger. Also, I respect her, and in some odd way, perhaps one could say I love her as my parent, if death can truly love or care for that matter. And as to Hades, my job to him is very important to me, almost as important as it is to him. It also ensures me certain freedoms which I would normally not have, since I am a minor god.

Mind you, being Nyx?s eldest son makes sure I am respected and well treated by my fellow gods and goddesses, thus my freedoms among them are equal, and sometimes greater. But in the mortal world, it would be far less, as I have no temple in my name and sacrifices only at the death of someone. No one prays to death, except at death, for I have no pity for those I am to take. I can?t afford to have that.

So you can see why my existence, as well as my freedoms, are compromised in the mortal realm. My job as Hades?s right hand ensures that my business is constant in that realm, and my presence is never forgotten.

I am rather proud of the fear I strike into men?s hearts, almost as proud of that as I am of purely doing the task for which I am born to do.

Enough of that though, I do not wish to sound obsessed, as it were.

You are probably wondering why one such as I would care to have a journal, if you are not me, and I shall keep you wondering, for that is my business.

Speaking of business, it seems I am being summoned, so I shall leave this for later.

Until night falls, or day breaks, we shall speak again.
    Thanatos

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Guess what? I have actually heard of Thanatos and Hypnos.
    Especially Thanatos.

This is very, very interesting.
    His feeding habits have me intrigued. ;)

Would you PM me when you update, please?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Most interesting! :D

This was a great idea and I very much liked this start!
    I look forward to more!

Great job!

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I only know a little about Thanatos and Hypnos, but this looks raelly interesting so far! :D

5. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    So, reader of Hesiod are you ... ?

[image=http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn75/miaokuancha/hypnos-thanatos.jpg]

(Painting by John William Waterhouse, 1849-1917).

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Geek mythology? Or should that be Greek? I guess it doesn't matter when you're talking to people who enjoy this stuff - like me. :p

From what I know, Thanatos faded into the background once Hades and the other big whigs took center stage. Poor guy. But then, when you're Death, you don't really need sympathy. [face_mischief]

7. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Ceillean: I'm impressed that so many have. It's usually pretty rare for me to find others that have heard of them. Thank you, and I'll get to those soon likely. ;)

mavjade: Thank you, hopefully it remains intresting and a good idea. I'd hate to slaughter my favorites. ;)

NYCitygurl: You'll likely know a lot more by the end of it. ;) Thanks. :)

ratna: I admit to not reading all of the Theogony yet, I actually first heard about the twins from The Iliad. And I've always loved that painting.

JadeSolo: I say it could be either really. ;) And it seems so, though you are right, he doesn't need sympathy. ;)

Entry One

I suppose I am to follow my brother?s example in whatever may be done, even in the keeping of a journal. Not that I mind, it does seem like a good idea, though he will not tell me the reason, and I shall not press him about it. I respect my elder brother enough not to pry, even though he would tell me if I asked.

Ah well, it is not a matter of mine. If anything appears to be wrong, I shall draw it from his lips, not the words of his hands.

As it is, I suppose I should introduce myself. I am Hypnos, minor go of sleep. Usually about this time of day, I am sleeping, but I feel no mood for it today for some reason. Maybe because Eris?s screeching is shaking the walls of my home, despite it being a cave?.

A marvel, my eldest sister is. Eris is a goddess of strife, and may I say this, she has the loudest voice in the Underworld. My head may split in two from it, and unlike mighty Zeus, I won?t be producing any goddesses from it, merely just bleed out essence until she stops.

Ah, I shall manage it, it is not as if it where the first time, and it will be far from the last. As to why she?s yelling, sounds like she is angry at my twin again?.

Thanatos always manages to make her upset. I don?t know how he does it, only that he does it to amuse himself.

Normally she?s just silently bitter, he makes her explode.

I can hear him laughing, in his mind of course, he would die if anyone knew Death could laugh. Especially over simple amusement.

And here I now notice my wife is gone again. I don?t fault her, she has her duties beyond her husband, but I do rarely see her. It makes me question sometimes whether angering mighty Zeus twice was worth it. He has perhaps somewhat forgiven me for the matter with the Trojans, but I don?t think he ever will about his son.

Nevertheless, I hear Thanatos beginning to speak, and it seems Eris has struck something in him to make him sound that grave. I had best cool tempers now before things grow too ill.

Until night comes,

Hypnos

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I love the sibling bickering :D Poor Hypnos having to deal with it all.

Very cool entry!!

9. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    enchanting

[image=http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn75/miaokuancha/NyxHypnos.jpg]

Hypnos with his mother, Nyx ( image source http://www.kabsyn.com/hypnos.html )

"Casting the Petals of Sleep"

[image=http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn75/miaokuancha/img_eris.jpg]

Eris / Discordia ( image source http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Eris.html )

10. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    NYCitygurl: Glad you like it. :) And yes, sadly he always has to. ;) Thank you. :)

ratna: Okay. And thanks.

Sorry for the short entries, will hope to change that soon.

Thanatos: Entry Two

I do sometimes grieve that what I am cannot extend to gods. Even minor, annoying ones who should have died at birth. Especially ones from my brother, who?s offspring drive me to distraction. I may love him dearly, as much as I can being as I am.

But that does not dictate that I have to deal with Morpheus. Hades have mercy, I will throw my misguided nephew from a cliff into depths if he continues on. And I cannot even blame that wife of Hypnos ?s for him. This alone was my brother?s doing, much as we are my mother?s alone.

And yet he acts the complete opposite of Hypnos. It?s mind boggling to say the least. He?s loud, impulsive, irritating. And comes at bad times, like just now. If he hadn?t egged on that little affair, I would have been done sooner.

As is, I have just gotten finished with that minor war I?ve more or less started with Eris. I did not think she would take it to such a level, but then again, she does hold grudges. Though, she didn?t have to bring up the whole chaining incident, I was not distracted, and I was not overpowered. I still don?t know how that man did it, but I won in the end regardless.

And that?s all that matters.

I should probably check on my twin at some point. Hypnos had to give up after the first day, our rages far too much for him. He should not get involved, he knows he has not the real strength for such.

I had best check on him now.

Until night falls, or day breaks,
    Thanatos

`

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Excellent entry!! Poor guy. Annoying family members are the worst.

12. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    I love this, love the voice you are giving to each of the twins. The myth of Admetus and Alkestis is one of my favorites, interesting to get a glimpse of it from Death's point of view. :) Love also the 'until night falls or day breaks' ... nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.