main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Guardian in the Mountains (Bail/Leia/Sabé post-ROTS vignettes) Author's Note 01/30/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I'm loving this--these are such wonderful viggies. If you have a PM list, I'd love to be on it.

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Two for two, two home runs!! Great job! =D= (sorry..I'm a guy. When we're left speechless, we fall back on sports metaphors :p)

One thing that really got to me, though:

?May the Force be with you, then.?

?I would rather it not,? she whispered. With a tip of the head, she was gone.

Wow! That was powerful. =D= Super!!

3. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Laine_Snowtrekker: I'm loving this--these are such wonderful viggies.

I?m loving that you?re loving this :D

If you have a PM list, I'd love to be on it.

I guess I better make one huh?

Souderwan: Two for two, two home runs!! Great job! (sorry..I'm a guy. When we're left speechless, we fall back on sports metaphors )

You had to chose baseball!?!

:oops:

Wow! That was powerful. Super!!

Thanks! :)

Again thank you for all the great replies, guys [:D]

4. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I'd been saving this and Guardian in the Desert for a time when I was going into withdrawals for your writing. :p Anyways, because that time has arrived, I thought I'd pop in here.

This was truly lovely, TKL, of course. Amazing how much you managed to communicate in so few words. Such an fascinating look into what Leia's life might have been like; it's easy to imagine Luke's (it's Tatooine for Force's sake), but Leia's past is more of an enigma. This was a lovely glimpse into the characters of Bail and Sabe, and I love how you can tell what kind of woman Leia will develop into even at this young age. She was perfectly in character, which I don't have to tell you, is difficult to write for such a little girl. Lovely vignette, TKL. I enjoyed it muchly.

Is it too soon to ask for more? :D

5. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Mrs_Durron: I'd been saving this and Guardian in the Desert for a time when I was going into withdrawals for your writing. Anyways, because that time has arrived, I thought I'd pop in here.

Welcome!

Amazing how much you managed to communicate in so few words.

[face_blush] Well I can be voluminous too when I want?

Such an fascinating look into what Leia's life might have been like; it's easy to imagine Luke's (it's Tatooine for Force's sake), but Leia's past is more of an enigma.

Yes, I?m working with a blank slate here. Sort of terrifying [face_worried]

For those of you interested, I have started another parallel series for Mara Jade as a child. I?m running the viggies, considering they are occurring the same year, and have assumed Mara to be a couple years older than the twins for this purpose. It?s an interesting glimpse at how differently Mara?s life would have been?

If you?re interested, check out Keeper of the Siege

6. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Leia - Age 6

A Mother's Gift

"Just a little more, Sabie!"

Instead of responding to her charge?s call, Sabé kept her eyes down for a moment and pretended to study her intended footfalls among the craggy terrain. Sometimes it hurt too much to hear Leia use the same nickname her mother had bestowed on Sabé years ago during handmaiden training. Deep down she knew it to be a cruel coincidence, but there were times she felt as if Leia were Padmé come to life all over again. She took a measured step over a large rock, inhaled sharply and lifted her head. All Leia would notice was a smiling face.

Later, after this special day, Sabé would remind the little girl that princesses didn't use nicknames. It was to be Sabyne or mistress, nothing else. Sabie was too close to Sabé, in more ways than one. It was a name, simply put, that was too dangerous.

"I'm coming," Sabé huffed. For an afternoon excursion, this was turning into quite a climb. Leia had led her over rugged paths and through winding forest trails in some ridiculous pursuit. Even with her specialized training, Sabé was having a hard time staying oriented toward home. And that was starting to worry her. "Leia, it's getting close to the time we should turn around."

"-most there," Leia said, never looking back as she scampered up a large boulder with Wuickly at her side.

"We better be, missy," Sabé grumbled to herself. Today was definitely not the day to deliver her ward home later than expected. The ramifications?

Wiping that thought from her mind, she scurried up the same boulder Leia and the wuicka had just topped. The little girl was waiting there. Sabé?s gaze met Leia's, then followed the brown eyes as they shifted across the wild Alderaanian landscape.

Abruptly the breath left Sabé's lungs and all thought ended in a haze of memories. She was transported back to a spot that now only existed in her dreams.

The boulder upon which they stood wasn't merely a boulder but the lip defining the edge of a vast meadow. Sabé's eyes followed Wuickly as he bounded across a plain of grass. The green sea stretched out endlessly, waving in a gentle breeze. Occasionally a cluster of flowers would peek through, pockets of yellow and white enjoying a rolling dance, or Wuickly would leap into the air in pursuit of a Ployi moth. Beyond all that, far enough away to seem impossible but close enough she could just make out the distant rumble, a wall of falling water provided the scenery its perfect backdrop.

It was?Naboo. Home. A happier time and place. Memories swam before her eyes as her vision blurred.

"Finista Valley," Sabe whispered breathlessly.

A tiny hand clasped hers. "What did you say?"

Sabé inhaled with a start. Padmé. She could feel her lost friend here, in this place. Her breath was in the breeze, her laugh in the whisper of the bobbing flowers. Even her determined spirit thundered over the falls.

They were a fitting tribute to a woman who had given everything to the galaxy and expected nothing in return. It was an appropriate reminder to Sabé of her duty, to her countrymen and an old friend. Reliving a lost youth would gain them all nothing. Her shoulders drew tall; her eyes blinked away the threat of tears. "Nothing. I said nothing of import."

Leia yanked on her protector's hand. "It sounded like Finest Valley to me."

The former handmaiden bit back a gasp. Instead she simply smiled politely, bending down to Leia's eye level. "What did you say?"

The child blinked and drew in an exasperated breath. "I said, it sounded to me like you said, Finest Valley. How did you know what I had named this place?"

Not even years of practiced indifference could dispel the shock that washed through Sabé. Somehow she managed to sit on the hardened ground before gravity overcame her trembling limbs.

?Sabyne, are you all right??

She swallowed, then swallowed again. She could do this. While posing as Queen Amidala during the blockade she had endured worse. S

7. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    So sweet! I loved this, and how you saved the jappor snippet after all. Thanks for the PM. It really helped.

8. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Sabe gave Leia this something that Anakin earlier gave Padme, right?

Nice post :D

Ok fever is gone so I get everything now :)

9. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    I really love reading these! Even though I'm usually a complete mess by the end of them. Wonderful job!

Edited to say: After reading this I had to go back and re-read Luke's viggie at 6 years and fell right back into tears. While reading I was also noticing the differences in Luke and Leia's situation. While Sabé is allowed to be physically close to Leia, Ben is kept at a physical distance. Where it is Owen's fear for Luke's safety that he pushes Ben away, it seems to be Breuh's insecurity that hinders Sabé in some respects.

I like how you use the Life Day celebrations to showcase the differences of the twins' lives. In some ways their actions and reactions show how much they are alike. Where Luke's Force sensitivity is manifesting itself in his physical abilities, Leia's seems to be more emotional and psychic/spiritual.

It is also very interesting that Sabé was able to find as much comfort in handling the japor snipet as Padmé considering how angry she is with Vader/Anakin. After reading Lukes' viggie I think I like this one more than I did before. I hope you keep going with both these series.

bran
    _ThatJediScum_

10. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :_| Oh that ending was so bittersweet. I loved how Leia is already resembling her mother in so many ways. Lovely touch having her being a bit Force sensitive. Padme offering guidance from beyond made me a bit sad. :( Great post! =D=

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I can't believe I hadn't been here before, such wonderful viggies. I love that Luke and Leia each have their own series of them.

Unbroken Bonds - As I'm only beginning to read the EU and get and even deeper understanding of Leai, I still cannot see Leia being anything but what you've shown at 5.
    ?May the Force be with you, then.?

?I would rather it not,? she whispered.
    - Wow, that just was an incredibly powerful line, so much said in "I would rather it not."

A Mother's Gift - I really enjoy Sabé's view of the Force, so very different. I had so much more to say of this viggie, but it seems that end has left me speechless and quite teary eyed. That was truly beautiful, TKL. [:D]

12. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    That was eerie, Leia's naming of the valley..but what a perfect gift Sabe gave her.

So sad, yet so poignant.

Nice Addition!

13. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    I'm finding your take on Leia's childhood to be sort of sad... which is interesting, because I've always had that feeling myself. Even though she seemed to be loved, she seemed so driven... and she never mentions her adoptive mother. [face_thinking] Just a little odd. Like it was distant relationship or something.

Sabe' is so sad, but I do love how she seems to hear Padme' in her thoughts. She and Owen should join a denile group together about force powers in young children. :rolleyes:

14. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Good afternoon!

Man I am finding that I am way behind on replies! Catching up though...

Laine_Snowtrekker: So sweet! I loved this, and how you saved the jappor snippet after all.

Oh I couldn't let it go. There is a whole uber plot bunny about Sabe and Obi-Wan and the Padme's grave, but that's for another day.

Thanks for the PM. It really helped.

You're welcome :)

Chimpo: Sabe gave Leia this something that Anakin earlier gave Padme, right?

Yeppers, the little pendant he had carved for her in TPM, the same one we see in her hand in the funeral scene of ROTS.

Ok fever is gone so I get everything now

:oops: Glad you Fee-l better ;)

_ThatJediScum_ : I really love reading these!

Great compliment! Thank you :D

Even though I'm usually a complete mess by the end of them.

Uh oh [face_worried] Should I put up tissue warnings? :_|

After reading this I had to go back and re-read Luke's viggie at 6 years and fell right back into tears. While reading I was also noticing the differences in Luke and Leia's situation. While Sabé is allowed to be physically close to Leia, Ben is kept at a physical distance. Where it is Owen's fear for Luke's safety that he pushes Ben away, it seems to be Breuh's insecurity that hinders Sabé in some respects.

Perfect =D= Couldn't have said it better.

I like how you use the Life Day celebrations to showcase the differences of the twins' lives. In some ways their actions and reactions show how much they are alike. Where Luke's Force sensitivity is manifesting itself in his physical abilities, Leia's seems to be more emotional and psychic/spiritual.

Yes, and I think we see that reflected later in life. I want to explore a bit how that comes to be. I imagine in some way Bail encouraged Leia to "trust" her instincts, much like Luke was raised to be physical and learned to "trust" his prowess.

It is also very interesting that Sabé was able to find as much comfort in handling the japor snipet as Padmé considering how angry she is with Vader/Anakin.

I knew that would be a tough one, but really it's about what the snippet meant to Padme (that would matter to Sabe) as opposed to the fact it was Anakin who made it. Or at least that's how I interpret Sabe.

After reading Lukes' viggie I think I like this one more than I did before. I hope you keep going with both these series.

Most definitely! There is a new vignetter scheduled for next week, in this series. It will parallel the recent one I posted for Luke, called Forged.

Thanks again for the great feedback :D

obi_ew: Oh that ending was so bittersweet.

I love that word. Bitter-sweet. It says everything.

I loved how Leia is already resembling her mother in so many ways.

Well, I think that was George's intention so I love to stick with it and give it some development. Watching them as kids and knowing their parents makes telling L/L's stories so much fun and yet a challenge at the same time.

Lovely touch having her being a bit Force sensitive.

We'll see more in the posts to come of the Force talent. Of course, we have all Force blind folks dealing with her, so it should prove eventful.

Leona: I can't believe I hadn't been here before, such wonderful viggies.

And I even had a typo in there for you :p

Unbroken Bonds - As I'm only beginning to read the EU and get and even deeper understanding of Leai, I still cannot see Leia being anything but what you've shown at 5.

I am humbled. Thank you for the praise. [:D]

Wow, that just was an incredibly powerful line, so much said in "I would rather it not."

Ah yes, and a whole 'nother story too ;)

I really enjoy Sabé's view of the Force, so very different.

Yes, we all tend to see things differently. It's our experiences and knowledge that taints out perception. So Sabe must have had some bad experiences...

I h

15. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    There is a whole uber plot bunny about Sabe and Obi-Wan and the Padme's grave, but that's for another day.

=P~

16. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    She of the dirty mind. Trust me, there's no Sabewan to it. Besides, she'd hurt him :p

17. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Oh come on... you know you want an excuse to give us just a little mush! [face_batting] :p

18. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Glad you Fee-l better

o_O Wrong story :p But thx anyway... I had some weird day that day. It was like one day flu attack... [face_plain]

Ok but when is the update ;)

19. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    She of the dirty mind.

Aw, c'mon! Just cause I thought you could make it touching and beliveble? I haven't lost touch with reality, I know where they wind up (not together!) [face_not_talking] 8-}

20. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    For some reason touching and believable between those two I imagine as a good sparring match, no holds barred. Sabe wins of course :p

In all seriousness though, the bunny is biting. Until that time as I can satisfy its rabid bite, you'll see glimpses in the coming posts (both series) of the chance meeting between the two Guardians on Naboo.

21. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm glade Sabe gave Leia Padme's Jaspor necklace. Now she has a link to her real family without even knowing it.

22. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Good evening!

Shinar: Aw, c'mon! Just cause I thought you could make it touching and beliveble? I haven't lost touch with reality, I know where they wind up (not together!)

Nope not together. Although I could definitely imagine hints of sexual tension between these two I picture their relationship as more antagonistic [face_mischief]

Auntie: Oh come on... you know you want an excuse to give us just a little mush!

I've got plenty of mush coming, including a T/R missing PM scene (Legacy era) and a couple missing scenes from COJF. [face_love] Lots of mush, but not Sabe/Obi-Wan mush [face_shame_on_you]

[face_chicken]

Chimpo: Ok but when is the update

This post will go up next weekend. I've got Gpa Wars and TMoar planned first.

Lucid_Lady: I'm glade Sabe gave Leia Padme's Jaspor necklace. Now she has a link to her real family without even knowing it.

Just a little something, but as you'll see it was destined to be Leia's. [face_thinking]

Again, posting an update next weekend.

23. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Leia ? Age 7

Annealed

Water engulfed her.

Lungs burned with the desire for air. Her limbs shivered from the liquid?s chill. Amid the cruel juxtaposition swirling blues tinged her vision. It hurt to exist, let alone endure.

For the briefest of moments, her head shot above the foaming cacophony. Time enough to start a breath, not enough to finish. Sucked back down into the noiseless churn she choked on a lungful of water. Her body began to seize in panic, yet her mind fell eerily calm. She did not fear death.

In the instant of serene acceptance, a powerful force overcame her, surrounded her in a warm layer of assurance. Her face erupted from the surface of her tomb.

?You're safe. I?ve got you,? a smooth voice said in her ear.

She wanted to yell at him.
    Safe! We?re in the middle of River Theed, heading towards the falls! But all her haggard body could muster was sputtering hacks.

?Can you swim??

They seemed to be moving toward the bank. Yes, toward the bank. She could make out the growing orbs of the lights that lined Theed's riverwalk balustrade. Spurred on by renewed hope, her arms tugged and her legs kicked.

She kicked and stroked, then kicked some more, the other?s grip holding her securely the whole time.

?That?s it,? he encouraged after a ceaseless struggle.

?How?much fur-ther?? she gasped when their progress became intangible.

?Ever closer,? he replied, and tried to offer a faint smile.

?Can?t your Force just save you?? Really she meant
    us. Can?t it save us? It was a modicum of optimism, but it was all she had.

He had no answer; he just cast his blue eyes back toward the island, toward the crypt and the awful truth.

The truth. Her mind still grappled with it all. Padmé was gone; her beauty snuffed out forever. The bank was getting no closer; in fact she was sure the current was pulling them faster toward the falls. She was caught in the embrace of a Jedi of all things, a Jedi who couldn?t use the Force for fear that the monster they fled would find them out.

This was surely hell.

She wanted to scream for the madness of it all. She
    was screaming for the madness of it all. Her voice shrieked in her ears. Her hands slapped the water sucking away her life. Her feet kicked off her savior.

Then suddenly she was being tugged down. Into the water. No more screams. Just weight. Cold. Dark. Nothingness?

Save fingers pinching her shoulder in a desperate hold.

"Sabyne," the voice rumbled through the watery grave. "Sabyne." More insistent this time.

"Sabé!"

A whispered shout jolted her back to reality. She blinked in the darkness, searching for the one who knew her real name. Framed against the moonlight, she recognized Bail's grim features. Her eyes darted to the window streaked with raindrops. Lightning sizzled in the night sky, flashing illumination into the room, and the heavens grumbled ominously ? a thunderstorm. Of course, the dreams always came with the rain.

As had many other terrible events of her life.

Sabé shot from the bed, her feet slipping instinctively into the leggings placed at the ready on the floor. "What is it?" she asked as she shimmied them over her hips.

"He's here." Bail spoke softly, but the words boomed like hammerdrops in her ears. "On planet. He just arrived unannounced ?"

"Who?" she interrupted, her fingers deftly lacing her boots. She had to be sure.

"Vader." The name exploded inside her mind like a planet shattered with an immeasurable force.

Her body wanted to wilt in fear, but Sabé harnessed decades of training and fueled it with years of unadulterated hate. That monster had crushed the life out of her friend. It would be a disservice to Padmé's memory to let that knowledge paralyze her in a moment of reckoning. Armed with duty she crossed the room, sweeping off her nightshirt as she went.

"What does he want?" she asked, her back to him as she grabbed a dark shirt off the top of the bureau.

"No one knows." Bail

24. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    :eek: Wow! Good post. The dynamics that have developed between Sabe and Leia are great.

25. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Excellent post. =D= The action was written so well I almost gasped when Vader paused saying he sensed something. I'm so glad Leia has someone so dedicated to protecting her. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.