main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Dark_Jedi_Kenobi, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    This thread is for the discussion of the next Harry Potter movie, The Order of the Phoenix. The writers/producers of the Goblet of Fire were able to adapt a very long book into a short period of time pretty well in my opinion and even though Order of the Phoenix is longer than GOF I'm hoping we'll still see a great product.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    What interests me most about this one is that the director, David Yates, is pretty much an unknown. He's done TV movies and so forth, but this is his big-screen début. Those who've seen his stuff are adamant that he's a good choice, and I certainly hope so. Also, the screenwriter of the first four, Steve Kloves, is out, replaced by Michael Goldenberg.

I'm hoping for the best!

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    OOTP is my favorite of the books. So far the casting that I've heard of seems spot on.

I'm still curious to know who they're going to cast as Tonks. Any word on that yet?

4. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    None yet as far as I know. I know they are supposed to be announcing Luna this month so perhaps the same for Tonks?

5. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I haven't heard anything about Tonks yet but Umbridge will be interesting to see onscreen.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'll be interested to see how much stuff they'll have to cut. I read an article on Mugglenet that described what might be cut and the author thinks that they might cut Harry's entire court case plot and Dudley Demented and have Umbridge enter in a different way. Another thing he said was that they'll be putting a lot of emphasis on Sirius, since he dies at the end and they'll want it to be a very forceful event. I'll like the emphasis on Sirius, since he had like thirty seconds in GOF.

I want to see Umbridge -- and I want to see her get attacked and taken away by the centaurs! And I can't wait to see Luna; I hope they do a good job on her, since she's one of my favourite characters!

7. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I hope so, I was dissapointed Sirius wise for GOF :(

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    OOTP will definitely be difficult to do. It's longer than GOF and it's darker than GOF. First of all you have a tyrannical DADA professor and it's basically the year of hell. The only thing memorable is the end. Don't get me wrong it'll end up being above GOF theatrically, but it has a lot of work to get there.

9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    OOTP has a lot of details. I don't know how the filmakers will put that in a single ovie. IMO, they will have to make it a 2-part movie or something...

I like Luna too. Butterbeer cork necklace pwns! :p

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    There's a ton of stuff at Sirus's house that can be cut out. They can mostly just jump from Dudley and Harry getting attacked by Dementors to the inquisition w/ a few small scenes at Siruses house before they head off to school. That'll cut out a couple hundred pages of the book.

11. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Some of the classes and detentions will be cut as well

12. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    But isn't Sirius's house important? Becouse of the black family history and R.A.B....

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yes, well that's a given...considering they live to chop out class scenes in general in the films.

I do hope they keep in most of the DA classes though. I love seeing all of our kids flourishing as young Wizards in this book. One of my favorite things about it is seeing them all go from being kids to young wizards and finally coming into their own.

14. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Only part of it, a lot of it is going to be useless to the movie.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    They can show the kids cleaning the living room and breezing over the locket and we can see Molly crying over the boggart changing into all of her family members dying. We can also see how miserable Sirius is being locked away and Snape taunting him, waiting for Harry's trial, and meeting Tonks.

That's pretty much all we need from their house...well and meeting Kreatcher.

16. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    yeah, Kreatcher is very important.

Well, the things that are very necessary for understanding the story are DA classes, Harry's relationship with Sirious, Umbridge, dreams of that corridor and fight in the Ministry.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    And Dumbledore's explanation about the Prophecy.

SPEW's going to be out of it again, but that's expected, even though it's quite funny. I can just hear Hermione -- "It's not spew, Ron, it's S.P.E.W!"

I wonder about Grawp though... and Hagrid's giant stuff.

18. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I wonder about Grawp though... and Hagrid's giant stuff.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Well, Grawp is important becouse Harry and others lead Umbridge to the Forbidden forest becouse of him, when they run into centaurs. But the story of giants had not yet proove to be important for the general thing.

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    That's true. But they have to mention it, because Hagrid's away and then he comes back and that's part of Umbridge's stuff. But it could just be mentioned in passing, would take like two or three seconds...

I'm wondering whether they'll keep Snape's Worst Memory[/b] or not. It would be cool to have Harry see his parents on screen. I guess there's an easy way to find out if they have it or not -- has there been any casting news about young James, young Lily, young Snape or young Marauders?

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    If Grawp is in it, I wonder who'll play him :p

21. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    According to Mugglenet they are currently searching for actors to play young James, Sirius and the others so that scene will most likely be in the film.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Wooohooo! I'm so excited I didn't know how they could have Harry and Snape having their lessons w/o Snape's worst memory being included. It's important because Harry finally starts to see that his father, who he's placed on a pedestal for so long, wasn't perfect, but was a bit of a bully.

It also sets up for a lovely, heart-felt chat between Harry and Sirius :( :_|

23. han_solo_321

Dec 14, 2002
    I also read that Grawp is going to be CGI.

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    It also sets up for a lovely, heart-felt chat between Harry and Sirius which adds to the lovely Sirius emphasis they apparently want. :)

I wonder who's playing Bellatrix... ugh. Evil Bellatrix.

25. han_solo_321

Dec 14, 2002
    Well it is rumored that Helen McCrory will be playing her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.