main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    What about the two new Rep pilots? they seem cool!

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It should also be noted that she didn’t work for Lucasfilm. She had a short-term contract with them. And Lucasfilm just didn’t renew it.

Juliet316 , Rew, solojones and 3 others like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    it says she's seeking $75,000 in damages. I assume they'll also try to sue for lawyers being paid? Or that Disney will settle for such a pittance so then GinaMux can claim victory?

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The two great things about this 'cancelling':
    1. The 'not a conservative!' conservatives that feel compelled to break cover for her - drawn like moths to the flame. No actual apolitical person gives a **** about a mediocre actor in a bit supporting role the way that they do.
    2. That conservatives absolutely dismissed her as 'woke' when she was originally cast because they felt she was taking the job of a male actor because of wokeness but did a 180 when her opinions became public knowledge and also denied ever disliking her

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

She worked for them, but as a contractor. All people on all shows are contractors. You can be fired any time, you can come back any time. Especially absolutely ludicrous to argue you can't do this with actors. Imagine being ordered to have this character you don't want in your show... Wild.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant to say she wasn’t an employee. And so she wasn’t fired. They didn’t even break her existing contract either! Her contract expired and they simply…didn’t renew it. And yet to some, allegedly apolitical, defenders of hers, this is somehow a colossal violation of an inalienable right to be Cara Dune.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I know, I had this happen to me once when my contract wasn't renewed after a season of a show..it happens like all the time to tons of crew. Actors thinking they are special is stupid.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-comedian-paul-currie-jewish-audience-members

Help me understand one thing.

If the Jewish audience member claims that the existence of a Palestinian flag is an attack on his Jewishness, then what's the difference between Jews and Israel? That audience member is basically saying "there is fundementally no difference between my identity as a Jewish people person and the state of Israel."

First we were expected to not say the phrase of Palestinian liberation because some Jewish members here feel threatened by it. Where is this going to end? Will it be the Palestinian flag next? How much can they expect us to suppress because they are supposedly uncomfortable?

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I had thought the final solution was to just rid of the Palestinian people to avoid unpleasantness.

10. Clone8looper

Clone8looper Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2023
    This is easy to understand. 'If' meaning in the event of. The event you're describing didn't happen. You've either fabricated it, or misunderstood the event. Either way, the question you pose is moot. Your own conclusion as to what the audience members is 'basically saying' is critically floored. Because it's an answer to a fictional scenario.

This incident was well reported across many media platforms. An Israeli man (not just some random Jew as you suggest) didn't stand up to applaud a flag waving idiot. As a result he got abuse. How much abuse he got seems to vary dependent upon which source is read.

Paul Currie exploited the situation in the Ukraine and Palestine by waving their respective flags around at the end of his show in order to bag himself a standing ovation. It was a crass, hollow, meaningless piece of moral grandstanding.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Lmao whose sock are you?

>“The young man, who we discovered soon after was Israeli, replied: ‘I enjoyed your show until you brought out the Palestinian Authority flag.’”

So here is where he is against the existence of the Palestinian flag.

>The witness and his friends also decided to leave the theatre. “It felt like we were welcome in the theatre as long as our identities [as] Jews weren’t known, and the minute our identities were known, we felt threatened,” they told the CAA.

Here is where Jewish people who were in the audience claim to feel threatened as Jews over the Palestinian flag. They are conflating their Jewishness with their opposition to the Palestinian flag. Telling someone to get out because they don't like the Palestinian flag isn't an attack on Jews, yet Jewish people in the audience made it about their Jewishness. This is well documented in the article.

solojones likes this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

One of the things about cancellation of historical figures, if you will, is that it's pretty necessary. Those who are deemed great in their time do not need to be considered as such here. Anyhow, sorry if it sounded like I was saying that autistic people would do the sorts of things that Jefferson committed. Rather, I've met plenty of autistic kids and adults who are professorial in their understanding of things like music, science, and the like. I was giving a bit too much credit to Jefferson's cerebral side, which, while impressive, should have helped him to understand that his actions were wrong. What I should have said was that Jefferson's conflict between his mind and heart is fascinating in an almost morbid way. He wrote about his dialogue between his mind and heart with regard to that affair he had with the English lady in France. Then he kind of had the same debate between his mind and heart on slavery. But his words never came close to his actions. I suppose that's one reason that I became fixated on him during the tenth grade. He may have abolished the Atlantic slave trade, but he enslaved hundreds of people, including his own children by Sally Hemings, his de facto concubine. I mean, the fact that Sally was the half-sister of his late wife? Ugh. I know Benjamin Harrison married his late wife's niece or younger cousin later, and that is also weird as heck and terrible. But what Jefferson did was pretty much the same in terms of vileness and abuse of power. It's bizarre that this man wrote the things he did and seemed to be unaware of how hypocritical he was.

As to the whole Hamilton thing, I think Hamilton was a de facto monarchist. He may not have wanted our presidents to be kings, but he wanted them to have way too much power over the state. He would have approved of things like the Patriot Act. So, I'm glad Jefferson deflated presidential power to an extent outside of his swift purchase of the then-vast Louisiana territory. Of course, I think that Jabba-wocky is right to say that Napoleon's faults outweighed his accomplishments. In short, I don't think we should have statues to historical figures like Bonaparte or Jefferson. Books? Of course. But we shouldn't glorify or deify them.

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    When ya get on FB and you see wild and bizarre things on your feed, ya think, "Man, these conservatives are fools to think that they can cancel or control the internet." Lol.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    USC is refusing to allow their Muslim valedictorian to give her speech at the 2024 commencement ceremonies. They cite vague "security concerns," but refuse to provide details. It's clear that they don't want her to talk about Palestine. I expect more drama over student graduation speeches as the season approaches.

solojones and Point Given like this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Wow what a shocker that Zionist's "concerns" end up just being about bigotry at Muslims.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I hope they have the salutatorian give the speech and that they suddenly turn it into an anti-zionist speech too.

anakinfansince1983 and Rew like this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What's happening today in Columbia, this is the result that the people who went after University presidents over plagiarism wanted. That Bill Ackman wanted. Everything I wrote in this post has come true.

Rew, Point Given , mnjedi and 4 others like this.
  18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: "Vivec was right again."

Rew, Point Given , mnjedi and 4 others like this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Bor is just trying to save himself from that wall when Commissar Vivec is tasked with liquidating the social democrats from his district.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I mean, that's a lot of work. My plan is to just throw a stack of Magic cards into the air and scatter

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    By the same token, he may have also approved of the Civil Rights Act. Or the EPA.

Federal power can cut both ways.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Update: in response to pressure, USC has canceled all commencement speeches. lol

mnjedi and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Like seeds for a vampire. Foolproof strat!

blackmyron and Lowbacca_1977 like this.