main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph HBO's Watchmen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 8, 2019.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    They did. It was "SAVE ME D" and that was what we saw. The "D" meant to throw us into speculating it was "Dr" or possibly "Dan" but in all likelihood it was "Daughter."

Also...

The lyrics to Bowie's "Life on Mars" are eerily parallel to Angela's story. I don't know if that's intentional (it has to be) but it's yet another level of meta-genius that this show has going for it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks now I'm gonna be listening to Bowie all day. Good day.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    You're welcome! I can think of worse things...much much worse.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Weirdly, I had Life on Mars? stuck in my head yesterday, but just the music. For the life of me I couldn't remember the lyrics or even what song I had stuck in my head. Really weird that it was then brought up today... coincidence, or DESTINY?!

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Yup ... okay ... this is the best thing currently unfolding on TV/streaming right now. It has the most absolutely "What the ..." moments with a satisfying follow through using comic book material since the first season of Legion (which also had fantabulous musical pairings).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Mortimer Snerd and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Another wonderful episode last night. So happy that it picks up where the previous episode ended. I hate when that doesn't happen. Anyway, a lot of questions were answered and so the show is certainly paying off the audience for tuning week after week.

"The chicken and the egg" theme really does play well in this last episode.

Still a good amount of loose ends to tie up and I hope it does in a very satisfying way in the finale.

8. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only thing I did not get is the horseshoe. Ok, a tool for digging out. But why a horseshoe?

10. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm anxious for an answer to that too.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I couldn't see much point in last night's ep . it was mostly just a re-tread of the story in the comic.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    What? Which part?

13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    the romance stuff , all the conversations where he's saying what will happen and being in 2 places at once.

14. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Ah. Yeah I don't like that his name is Jon either. It's exactly the same as in the book.

15. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Isn't that a callback to Ep 1 when Phillips gave him a horseshoe to cut the cake on his first anniversary? Maybe it's just a quirk of the clones that they think of a horseshoe as an all purpose tool, since they baked it into the cake as if it were also a file.

I also noticed that this isn't happening at the same time as the events on Earth at the end, judging by the candles on the cake.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    VadersLaMent and Outsourced like this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    You're right, it's a completely different time. There's another horseshoe reference when Adrian is walking through the big dining room full of dead Phillips and Crookshanks. He pulls one out of the dead hand of a Phillips and says something to the effect of "Not yet."

solojones, Yodaminch and VadersLaMent like this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I agree there are some similarities between the latest episode and the comic book, such as Dr. Manhattan knowing the future, being in multiple places and points in time at once. However, in the latest episode, we actually see it captured really well. I mean, when Dr. Manhattan...
    is speaking to Angela by the pool in current time and speaking to her grandfather in the past in New York at the same time, to where Angela asks about Judd's connection to the 7th Calvary.

But the entire episode is actually that. From the moment Dr. Manhattan first meets Angela and sits at the table everything is actually happening at the same time; to their first meeting to ten years later where Angela breaks out the hammer to wake up Jon. Side note, I love Regina King's performance in this episode especially the scene where she first meets Jon. She starts off very anti-social and skeptic, but then becomes intrigued and then becomes very smitten by Jon as her eyes and smile emote the perfect feelings and expression for that moment.

More, I thought the interactions between Angela and Jon explained how Dr. Manhattan could romantically capture someone's heart. To me, that was important because for the most part, Dr. Manhattan was portrayed as an emotionless and disconnected being. Through his own exile and creation of life, Dr. Manhattan found himself lonely and devoid of fulfillment. The relationship with Angela brings Jon back to earth and connects him with human emotions. It's a very important development in the character. In the comic books, Dr. Manhattan moves beyond humanity and feels no connection to it and leaves earth.

Yeah, I don't know the meaning of the horseshoe either. So, taking a guess, a horseshoe is a symbol of luck. So, in addition to years of planning and preparation, Adrian is going to need luck. Also, being the nerd that I am, I see the horseshoe as the Omega symbol (thanks to DC comics/Darkseid).

[​IMG]

18. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah .... this is one heckuva show.

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    How many candles did you count? We now know how long Adrian has been on Europa- 10 years. We know that based on Jon’s conversations. 6 months from meeting Angela he says Adrian tells him he lacks imagination. At that meeting, he sends Adrian to Europa. He also told Angela they would have 10 years together, then tragedy. So if we assume, the 8 episodes we have seen are each a year in Adrian’s life, we’ve pretty much seen almost all 10 years of his time on Europa.

20. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    It looked like 7. Coulda been 8. Definitely less than 10 though.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I hate the stuff where Batman dresses up and goes to fight criminals who are also in costume. What's with that? It's the exact plot of the comics!

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So watching this scene again, my thinking is it has been a year since Adrian has been on Europa. He's more patient with Philips and Crookshanks and this is the first time he gets cake by the way he reacts. Also the first time the horseshoe is brought up:

I watched a scene from episode 3 and the cake has three candles. And in Episode 4 at the catapult scene, he flat out states "4 years since I was sent here"
    He makes his escape in Episode 5.
    The end credit scene is also on youtube. You are correct that there are 7 candles. So, I think we can presume that episodes 7 and 8 show a scene closely tied together for Veidt. Soon after being found guilty, we see him in jail, but he has not been there for a long. We can assume that based on the trial. It was a year since he was arrested after trying to escape. And given the cake only had 7 candles, this is only year 7.

So yeah, not sure what exactly Veidt is doing with the horseshoe, but we can definitely presume we have been watching is deterioration over a decade and that we are almost caught up to present day. Which again begs the question of whether or not that is in fact a statue in Lady Trieu's office

What if the Millennium Clock is a device designed to reverse whatever happened to Adrian because only Adrian is smart enough to save Jon and stop the 7th Kalvary?

VadersLaMent likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think there's a good chance that what fell to earth on Trieu's just-purchased property was Adrian in statue form. I can't quite think of how else someone would get to Europa to save him.

Ahhhh can't believe this is about to end :(

24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    sarcasm aside thats not a great comparison . Batman is a franchise , a continuing comic . Watchmen was more akin to a novel . So if someone did a sequel to Great Expectations I would hope they did more than a re-tread.
    Especially with a character like Dr. M who can be and do virtually anything .

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm just saying, you're literally just describing how Dr. Manhattan experiences time. How else are they supposed to portray his character? It's integral to who he is and how he sees things.