main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Heart of a Mother" The Story of Beru Whitesun- - COMPLETED!!! Reader replies 01/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sache8, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    This is my second fic here on the forums. It is vastly different from my first one in many ways, such as length, style, tone, and era.

I just wondered if anyone ever wondered what went on in the head of Luke's other mother.

The introductory post is kind of short, as is the second one. Then they get a little meatier.

Let me know what you think!

2. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000

Heart of a Mother: The Story of Beru Whitesun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke is finally asleep and I have a chance to begin. He?s growing up so fast, I can hardly believe it. Pretty soon, I?m sure, he won?t want me to tuck him in anymore.

Owen once asked me why I never kept a journal. I still don?t know why he did. We were just very young then, and the question came out of the blue. He said, ?Every other girl I?ve ever met has tried to write one.? I laughed and told him that I had never seen the point. The truth is, I never saw that there was anything overly interesting in the life of a Tatooine farmgirl worth writing about.

But it occurred to me yesterday that it might not be true anymore. Obi-Wan Kenobi warned us, Owen and I, of the seriousness of our decision. He said it was far more dangerous than we could imagine. And I realize he is right. Although my life won?t mean much in the annals of the future, there is one small boy I love who doesn?t even realize the burden that is his birthright.

And so I will tell my story. Even if it?s for my benefit alone. I know that for the most part it will be quite different from Luke?s. He is destined for great things. But for a little while our stories have been the same. And that makes my life whole. I have undertaken this task with joy, despite the danger. No matter what happens, I will never have regrets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like I said, short.

EDIT: For those of you who're Jane Austen fans, the idea of all girls keeping a journal comes from a very funny conversation between Henry Tilney and Catherine Morland when they first meet in Northanger Abbey.

~Saché

3. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Awww! This looks good! Post more soon! Very well written!
    Interesting story line too!
    Anyways, this is awesomeness!
    God bless!
    <3-Moose

4. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Heeey now. If this is as good as it sounds, I may well nominate this for Best Interpretation of a Non-Original Character in the next fanfic awards.

5. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    This could be interesting. I like Beru.

6. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Saché, this is so awesome. :)
    I always felt that Beru loved Luke as her own child but no one has given her much consideration and credit for how Luke turned out to be the "farmboy" and Jedi Master

But for a little while our stories have been the same. And that makes my life whole. I have undertaken this task with joy, despite the danger. No matter what happens, I will never have regrets. Beautiful!. I love it already. [face_love]

7. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Whohoo! Yeah! That's my Beru!!

Beru is my favorite female character besides Mara! I can't wait for more!

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    this looks like a sweet story.....keep up the good work!

9. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    "Owen he can't stay here forever. Most of his friends are gone ... it means so much to him......."

This is very well crafted. I can see that much. You seem to nail Beru very very well.

From whatever I read, I aquire ideas. And this short piec has already given me many.

My thanks to you,
    PROPHET

10. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Nice start, Sache :)

I've wondered how the girl in AotC turns into the woman of ANH.

11. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    This looks good, Sache. I'm sure raising Luke was exhausting. Beru's a little used character but I'm sure that Luke would have been different if not for her. :)

12. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
  13. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Wow, great start, Sache! I've always thought it would be interesting to hear about Luke's childhood through his guardians' eyes. Keep it up! :)

14. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Wow! This was rather unexpected! I can't tell you all how delighted I am.

Malz: Thanks and God bless you too! ;)

Sebulba: *Saché chokes* Er, sorry? Did you say nomination? *She furiously checks the rest of the written material so far* I guess I'll do my best. Thank-you!

DANA: My best friend when I lived in NC was named Dana..... Hope you stick around!

Admiral: Looks like we're on the same page. I hope you enjoy! ;)

Emmi: I'm so glad you're here! Now we're both reading each other's fic!

Jedi_Liz: Thanks and I will! I really think I'm going to enjoy this!

PROPHET: Any chance I might be let in on some of those ideas? ;) :p

Pallas: Well, now you'll get to find out....uh, according to me, that is. :D

RebelMom: I haven't even started to think about raising Luke yet, but I'm looking forward to those parts. Mostly I've been working on a backstory that will kind of fit into TPM, AotC, and speculative EIII. But I think it's going well. Thanks for checking in!

Admiral: :p

Danni: Glad you're here! Hope ya stick around!

I actually was going to wait two days on this, but since there were so many delightful replies, I'll do it today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tatooine.

I have lived here all my life. There are people I?ve met throughout my years who?ve been amazed that anyone could live here and be happy. I guess that if I came from the outside I would probably share their point of view, but this is my home. It is in my blood. I have never been anywhere else, and have never had an overwhelming desire to leave. The only things I ever wanted to make me happy were a home and a family. I?m just a simple girl.

Besides, there?s something invigorating about conquering this planet. To survive here is to be strong. Truthfully, Tatooine can?t really be conquered at all, only adapted to. If you?re strong enough, she will tolerate you. You become part of her. You stand in awe of her rough, strange beauty. I am proud to call this my home.

I was born Beru Whitesun. My father, Pasco Whitesun was a shop keeper in Mos Eisley. He was a good man. He worked hard for his family and never asked for much. I miss him very much. We had many happy memories together. Just the two of us, on windy days when the sand kept the customers from our shop.

My mother died when I was born. Father never spoke of her much. He told me what I asked, in a straight-forward manner and left it at that. She was like us both. Simple. Unassuming. Another victim of Tatooine.

When her time came, she had difficulties, and there was not enough help in Mos Eisley for her. The season had been hard that year, and supplies were low because of the poor harvest. The commerce of the whole are was affected by it. And for a spaceport that was downright poor even at the best of times, this was hard indeed. And so I came into this universe as my mother left it. I often think about her. Wondering how my life might have been different had she lived? But I do not waste myself in grief. That is part of living here as well. Sometimes, Tatooine will claim her own.

We struggled, but we were content. Father worked very hard, every year just managing to scrape up enough for a few luxuries. We had a speeder shop, and I in a pinch I could be pretty handy with a wrench and a hydrospanner, even though it didn?t interest me very much. All in all, it was a quick and pleasant childhood.

Then one day some visitors came to our shop. They signaled one major turning point in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little longer but still pretty short. The next one is better.

15. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Wow, love the insight on Beru's past. And the descriptions of life on Tatooine were beautifully written. :)

16. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    ?So this is how you're having her meet Owen. Intriguing.

If you really want to hear these ideas, you need only ask. I wouldn't want to clutter your thread with my plot points. A PM conversation will more than suffice.

17. Hoya94

Hoya94 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2001
    Great story! Looking forward to your next post. ;)

Hoya

18. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    I think that Beru and Owen's love is stronger than Pad and Ani. They lived their whole lives loving each other and they died together. It's actually bittersweet.

19. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Good post, are we gonna have some Beru/Owen romance? :D Okay, that sound kinda strange comming from me and I've never had the desire to read about how they got together before, but now I'm oddly inclined to ....

More soon! ;)

20. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    Great post. Very creative and imaginative . :)

21. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Awwww...here comes Owen and Cliegg!!!

22. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    *whistles*

Oh yes, I said nomination. You've got plenty of time before the next fanfic awards, but it doesn't look like you'll have to work too hard. :) I wish I knew how you do it.

23. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Whoa! That's cool! Aww! I didn't think about how Owen and Beru got together either!
    The last line was cool! :)
    Post more soon! :)
    God bless y'all!
    <3-Moose

24. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Lovely story Saché!! I'm so glad you've started to write this, and I can't wait to see how Beru's life progresses.

Just seeing how her father will let her leave to go live with her Boyfriend will be priceless!! [face_laugh] Unless it's sad... :(

Can't wait for more!!

~Obischick

25. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    In honor of this Tatooine story, I give you Tatooine colors!!!!

Danni
    : Thank-you! I actually put some thought into making that plausible, because I don't think I would want to live on Tatooine! ;)

PROPHET: [face_innocent] Meet Owen? Did I say that? And sure, I'll send you a PM.

Hoya: Thanks, here it is?

DANA: Wow, I never thought of it like that before, but I really think you're right? (Of course, for someone who didn't buy the AotC love story, I wasn't hard to convince ;))

]Pallas
    : Well, we'll just have to wait and see now won't we? :D Honestly, the romance will of course be a part, but not the whole focus.

Admiral: Why thank-you!

Emmi: *sigh of exhasperation* Again, I didn't say that!

Sebulba: And I don't see how you can write action like a pro, so in your face! :D :p

Malz
    : What does <3-Moose mean?

Chiquita!!!: Back from orientation! And as usual, you hit a nail on the head.....

This one is my favorite so far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was seven. My father was inside the speeder shop, haggling with a particularly nasty customer about a swoop.

The speeder shop is a very boring place for a seven-year-old girl. Well, maybe not for all girls, but it was in my opinion. So I was sitting outside by the door with a pile of rocks, making designs with them in the sand.

?That?s pretty,? said a gruff voice.

I looked up. There were two figures standing above me, a silhouette of a tall man and a smaller one beside him. I squinted. The sun was behind them, and their faces were in shadow.

?Thank-you,? I said politely, but I didn?t want to say anything else. Tatooine is known for its rough customers, and it was wise to be cautious, especially in Mos Eisley. I learned that almost before I could walk.

?Son,? said the taller figure. ?Stay out here for a moment. I won?t be but a few minutes.?

The boy didn?t say anything, only nodded.

The tall man went in the shop.

I could feel the boy watching me for a while. I didn?t look at him, just kept pushing stones around in the sand.

?Can I sit down?? he finally said.

I squinted back up at him again. He?d shifted a little, and now it was easier to see his face. I liked it. It was plain and open. An honest face, I decided. And my father was just inside the door. He?d hear me if I called for him.

I shrugged my assent.

He sat. ?How old are you??

?Seven,? I said defensively. ?How old are you?? If he wanted to ask nosy questions than I would ask them too.

?Ten,? he promptly replied. ?Do you like speeders??

I shrugged. ?They?re okay I guess.?

?Are you getting a new speeder??

I shook my head. ?My father?s the shop keeper.?

?Well, we came to get one. My father?s going to get the XP-31 model. I wanted to get the XP-33 but he says we need to save the extra money for our expansion.? He said this last word with particular emphasis, as if making a great declaration. Then he sighed. ?He?s been saving money for that for so long. I hope it?s soon, but? we want to buy the farm next to ours. It?s really big, it will take a long time to save up for.?

I cocked my head and studied him, wondering why in the name of the suns he was telling me all this. I stared for a moment more and went back to shuffling rocks. I was working on a sunburst pattern I?d seen in a book at home. To my surprise, the boy started helping me. After a moment, we?d completed the design, and I was amazed that he?d known it.

I wanted to ask him about it, but I was still stubbornly trying not to speak to him. My father had taught me well.

After several more long, hot minutes, the ta