main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Here is my unorthodox Star Wars opinion: change my mind!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I can understand that, but I don't think just having experience makes her a better choice. Rey, while not an ideal choice either, was at least around doing stuff in the fight against the FO. Ahsoka wasn't. And again, she's probably dead if her voice is among all the other dead Jedi.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Chosen One star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That we know of, and if Filoni has his way or not

3. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    You have a point. Filoni favoritism is a strong force indeed, logic and necessity be damned.

And speaking of the dead Jedi voices, I don't know if this is really unpopular, but I hate Anakin's "Bring balance like I did" line. Judging by that and the overall treatment of past characters, I'm glad he didn't appear as a Force ghost in the ST.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    wobbits likes this.
  4. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    I bet you wish the writers had "favoritism" when it comes to Luke Skywalker and his treatment in the ST.

TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  5. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    No, but I am for bringing Luke back from the dead and undoing the ST by time travel.

6. Grievous was weak in TCW because if he was like in 2003 show he will stole the protagonism from Maul

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Casual movie people should only have to watch the original SW. And it's called Star Wars, not Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I meant "I don't see why it has to be true forever"

9. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Because they are the ones who can use the force to guide them and it has worked for 25 000 years. Without the jedi there can be no balance in the force. They are like kingts of a kingdom and no comoner takes over a secrets knights duty.

10. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    We can see precursor groups to the Jedi like the Je'Daii Order and the Dai Bendu monks on Ando Prime. And then we have splinter groups to the Jedi Order. There is so much possibility for variety and variation.

11. Jedi Council characters like Ki Adi Mundi Plo Koon even Mace Windu are better in the Multimedia Project than in TCW

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
  12. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I didn't mention this before, but I can sympathize to a certain degree about Ahsoka living too long. I know that when Rebels was airing, I thought Ezra yanking her through the World Between Worlds was a bit of a cop out (but infinitely better than Vader deciding to spare her) and it felt like maybe Filoni just didn't want to kill her.

Time has changed my tune though. I thought Maul coming back was the stupidest thing ever, but it paid off big time. I like to think that Ahsoka wasn't killed during her duel with Vader because her story wasn't complete. And if I think about it... Vader killing Ahsoka felt like the right thing for Vader's character, but what about Ahsoka? It's a pretty downer ending and it makes her whole character arc feel kind of... pointless? At least for Star Wars. If this was something like Game of Thrones it would be another matter. If the Ahsoka series is nothing but Ahsoka wandering around as a lone samurai and that's all her character is forevermore than my optimism will have been proven wrong and, if that happens, maybe she should have just been killed by Vader after all. But I think there's more room for her character to grow, possibly involving reconciliation with the Jedi - or at the very least Anakin, and hopefully it will feel earned in the end.

13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, but knights don’t last forever. Kingdoms change, evolve, become replaced by other systems of government. Nothing lasts forever but the Force itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    I agree with everything you've said here. My biggest concern with the upcoming series is that it feels like Ahsoka has already completed her character arc and thus continuing to follow her story could feel like they're just milking the character without any real purpose (when they announced that they were doing an 'Ahsoka-centric show', I could only think, 'isn't that what Clone Wars and, to a lesser extent, Rebels were for?'). But like you I'm cautiously optimistic, and I'm willing to place my trust in Dave Filoni.

15. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Her being killed by Vader makes too much sense, and it's no less fitting than him killing Obi-Wan. It's his master and his Padawan, both were part of Anakin's story, and Ahsoka was made for that part. But I guess God forbid Ahsoka dies like a normal character would, we gotta introduce time travel in SW to save her.

Sorry for the rant-ish tone, but Ahsoka was always pointless to me, and yes, I think they're milking the character, and that's the only (or at least the biggest) reason she survives ludicrous things and keeps getting inserted into stories. She's always been this OC video game-like character that exists in the gaps of the saga, and if she has to live, then I hope that's where she stays. I don't want her involved in anything crucial.

Though I'm sure Filoni will make it so. She'll probably meet post-RotJ Luke and be the one to teach him Force-projection or something. Oh well.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Mark Pierre, wobbits and Sarge like this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Another one of my unpopular opinions is that too little has been done with this Force ability.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Ah, yes, I too remember Obi-Wan getting "killed"(disappearing out of his clothes) in the first movie he was introduced, and becoming a recurring character glowing blue for the next two films. What a cop out that was for Lucas to introduce force ghosts into Star Wars. Why couldn't he just kill off Obi-Wan for good?
    Here's my unpopular opinion, by the way - Vader should have killed Obi-Wan, like for real, stabbed him in a violent way, too!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    There is a fan edit of the Vader vs. Obi-Wan duel that added more to their fight. It had better choreography and even had Vader brutally punching Obi-Wan. It was pretty cool.

I think it was fitting for Vader to kill Obi-Wan, but I also think it was pretty pointless for Obi-Wan to die in ANH, since he just shows up half the time when Luke is on Dagobah anyway. But unlike him, Ahsoka doesn't know how to Force-ghost (far as I know), so she'd be dead-dead. Obi-Wan was around to give some guidance and exposition, but I don't think being turned into a ghost and having a few cameos is much in the way of fan-pandering.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  19. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    it was a kids film.. family fantasy

20. Anakin fall to the Darkside is better in Legends than in Disney Canon

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  21. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    I guess I'll wade in with my unpopular opinion - I really, really disliked that fan-edit of the Obi-Wan v Vader duel. I certainly respect the craftmanship - the visual effects are great and are integrated into the existing footage surprisingly well. But I just feel that it fundamentally misses the point of just about every choice that Lucas made with that scene, particularly in the substitution of the slow-paced Kurosawa choreography in favour of flashy lightsaber antics.

I really hate criticising well-meaning fan projects like this one as they do represent a genuine love and passion for Star Wars. But at the same time, I feel like a lot of fan films (including one particularly high-profile one that I'll refrain from naming since its creator has become something of a polarising figure in the SW community as of late and I don't really want to start a discussion about that) prioritise cool Prequel-esque fight choreography over anything resembling story or character, and fail to actually capture the essence of what makes Star Wars so endearing in the first place.

22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    What the OT duels lacked in action they more than made up for in drama and emotional power.

Whistling Birb likes this.
  23. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    The original Star Wars film was perfect for its time but it’s a little dated now.

Most things that people bitch about these days actually started with Empire Strikes Back: Too much emphasis on family drama (and using a retcon to do it), turning the emperor into a puppet master when in the first film he was nothing more than a throwaway mention, making the non-Jedi side characters feel regressive and less important, turning the force into a physical superpower, and having Jedi jump really high and flip around like superheroes.

Return of the Jedi doubled-down on all of the problems that Empire created.

Both the old expanded universe and the new expanded universe are hit and miss.

The Phantom Menace is the best-made prequel.

Attack of the Clones, while far from my personal favorite, is the Star Wars movie with the most artistic integrity.

Revenge of the Sith is hit and miss.

The Force Awakens has too many mysteries.

The Last Jedi deserves respect for being the only one brave enough to point out how overrated all of this stuff really is.

The Rise of Skywalker has some good moments but overall it tries way too hard to be a grand finale (and I feel the same way about Endgame).

Rogue One has too much fan service.

Solo is the best film outside of the original and The Last Jedi.

All of the canon cartoon shows (The Clone Wars, Rebels and Resistance) are the best pieces of Star Wars content since the original film and all of Star Wars should just be a big cartoon show at this point.

The Mandalorian season 1 was good but season 2 had too much fan service.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. KaleeshFett

KaleeshFett Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2021
    My favorite Star Wars tv show is the Clone Wars micro series so far.

I love TCW, Rebels and The Mandalorian but the original CW will always carry a special place in my heart, partially because I grew up with it admittedly. The animation is superb, all the OTTP action scenes are divine and the show had more character and nuance then people give it credit for IMO, especially with Anakin and Kenobi. The show also made me a fan of both Shaak Ti and Asajj Ventress before I even read any books or comics from Legends.

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That show is a prime example of economical storytelling. I love it, too! [face_love]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Count Yubnub and KaleeshFett like this.