main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Here is my unorthodox Star Wars opinion: change my mind!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They can love, but it has to be unconditional love.

Jedi can get angry, but the anger born from ambition and attachment is the worst. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were angry when arguing about Anakin and the Council. Obi-Wan and Anakin were angry when it came to their arguments. Yoda is irritated with Luke's impatience. But uncontrolled anger born from fear, those are dangerous. The Tusken slaughter and Anakin fighting Rush Clovis are prime examples.

Once a Jedi begins to train, they have to learn to master their emotions in order to help others including their loved ones.

"Part of the going into the tree is learning about the Force. Learning about the fact that the Force is within you, and at the same time, you create your own bad vibes. So, if you think badly about things or you act badly, or you bring fear into a situation, you're going to have to defend yourself or you're going to have to suffer the consequences for that. In this particular case, he takes his sword in with him which means he's going to have combat. If he didn't, he wouldn't. He's creating this situation in his mind because, on a larger level, what caused Darth Vader to become Darth Vader is the same thing that makes Luke bring that sword in with him. And so, just as later on we find out Darth Vader is actually his father - so he is part of himself - but he has the capacity to become Darth Vader simply by using hate and fear and using weapons as oppose to using compassion and caring and kindness. But that's the big danger of the series, is that he will become Darth Vader."

--George Lucas, TESB DVD Commentary.

Luke can help his loved ones, but he has to do it for the right reasons. He was doing it because he was thinking about himself and what he wanted and not about them.

"The key issue in these movies is for a Jedi not to use anger when he’s fighting. So the final confrontation here is primarily about trying to make Luke become angry, so that when he fights his father he’s fighting in anger, therefore begins to use the dark side of the Force, and therefore sort of succumbs to the dark side of the Force. In The Empire Strikes Back we had them confront each other and fight together. But in this film Luke has become more mature so that now he knows he shouldn’t be fighting him—that is the path to the dark side. So it’s basically a confrontation between two people and one of them doesn’t want to fight, and the other one keeps trying to push him into it. And then in the end when he gives up and they really do fight, what’s happening there is that ultimately Luke is turning to the dark side, and all is going to be lost."

--George Lucas, ROTJ DVD Commentary, 2004.

"It will be about how young Anakin Skywalker became evil and then was redeemed by his son. But it's also about the transformation of how his son came to find the call and then ultimately realize what it was. Because Luke works intuitively through most of the original trilogy until he gets to the very end. And it’s only in the last act—when he throws his sword down and says, “I’m not going to fight this”—that he makes a more conscious, rational decision. And he does it at the risk of his life because the Emperor is going to kill him. It’s only that way that he is able to redeem his father. It’s not as apparent in the earlier movies, but when you see the next trilogy, then you see the issue is, how do we get Darth Vader back? How do we get him back to that little boy that he was in the first movie, that good person who loved and was generous and kind? Who had a good heart."

--George Lucas, Star Wars Trilogy VHS Boxset 2000.

Luke lashes out because he is afraid that the Alliance will die if he doesn't kill Sidious. He is being selfish here. When he loses it over Leia being discovered by Vader, he is doing so because he is mad and afraid over everything. His fear is that she will turn and join the Sith. He wants destroy his father right now. He stops because he realizes that he is wrong here. He has to have faith in his friends and Leia. If they are meant to die, then they die.

EZRA: "Was it wrong for the Jedi to fight? Is it wrong for me to protect my friends?"

YODA: "Wrong? A long time, fought I did. Consumed by fear I was... though see it I did not."

EZRA: "You were afraid?"

YODA: "Yes, afraid. Surprised are you? A challenge lifelong it is, not to bend fear into anger."

Luke can help his loved ones for the right reasons. He helped Han and it was right. Obi-Wan helped Satine and it was right. What is right is how and why you fight.

Ripley doesn't have the Force, either. She confronts the Queen to rescue Newt because she is thinking about her and not herself. She knows that not only will she, Newt and Hicks die if she doesn't, but the Sulacco will be found and the Queen will be used by the bio weapons division. The correct comparison is Ripley wanting to die instead of helping the others destroy the Alien first, which is why Dillon tells her he won't do it first. Why he makes her agree to help him.

Anakin had dreams, but he didn't see that she was in danger until the last one. He saw her during a reunion and she twisted and vanished, right as he wakes up. That's just before the mission to Ansion. Ten years earlier he saw himself coming back as an adult and she vanishes before they can embrace. This is the dream that he refers to Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan and Anakin both had no idea what it meant.

There's no law on Tatooine, other than the Hutts. And the Jedi don't have visions of total strangers. Usually they are connected to the mission or to the Jedi. Yoda did not dismiss Ahsoka's visions of Padme being shot, which Anakin didn't have. Kanan didn't ignore Ezra's visions. But they have to be careful to not lose control over it.

Marvel did a story where Sabe was sent to Tatooine to rescue Shmi and as many slaves as she could, but Shmi was already freed. She couldn't find Watto and had no idea where Shmi was now. This was the "Queen's Shadow" arc.

Anakin didn't contact Obi-Wan or the Council about his final vision. Obi-Wan would have either gone himself or spoke with Yoda and Mace, who would have sent someone to Tatooine. Anakin takes off without doing the very thing that Obi-Wan said to do.

OBI-WAN: "Anakin, don't do anything without first either consulting myself or the Council."

Kind of hard to help if you are unaware of the situation.

Too many. Most of the Jedi who fell did so because of attachments or out of ambition.

"Sometimes it’s ambition, but sometimes, like in the case of Anakin, it was fear of losing his wife. He knew she was going to die. He didn’t quite know how, so he was able to make a pact with a devil that if he could learn how to keep people from dying, he would help the Emperor. And he became a Sith Lord. Once he started saying, “Well, we could take over the galaxy, I could take over from the Emperor, I could have ultimate power,” Padmé saw right through him immediately. She said, “You’re not the person I married. You’re a greedy person.” So that’s ultimately how he fell and he went to the dark side.

And then Luke had the chance to do the same thing. He didn’t do it."

--George Lucas, Star Wars.com interview, 2019.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 35X Wacky Wednesday/25x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    To be exact, it was the YA novel Queen's Shadow, published by Egmont. Marvel SW's Sabe-centric arc is set in the TESB era, not between TPM and AOTC.

3. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    I dunno when they adopted this rule in canon. The Republic giving Jedi the legal right to recruit children while denying it to other Force sects thus creating the situation in The Acolyte should be response to the tyranny of the Sith otherwise I feel it is very hard to justify but the no attachments rule can be much older then the existence of the Sith in canon.

But Vader wasn't irredeemably evil, Dooku was executed by Anakin at the behest of the Emperor rather then be given the chance (and his very truthful information he gave about his master to Obi-Wan fell on deaf ears), quite a few of the Inquisitors proved redeemable in the end, as did Ventress and Quinlan.

In Legends quite a few Exiles other then Ajunta Pall, Freedon Nadd and Exar Kun went pretty irredeemably evil. Where Ajunta Pall eventually saw the futility of his ways, we got a fair few Force Ghosts who believe in the Dark Side after spending several millenia conciously alone with their thoughts to mull it over. But Darth Desolous is like that too and he is post attachment rules.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Considering that the Jedi philosophy has its basis in Buddhism, where attachment is one of the three poisons (along with ignorance and aversion), we should probably assume that non-attachment was a thing very early on in the Jedi Order.

The most widely spread version of the Jedi Code mantra, by the way, is:

There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

...but it's not the only official version:

Emotion, yet peace.
    Ignorance, yet knowledge.
    Passion, yet serenity.
    Chaos, yet harmony.
    Death, yet the Force.

(Source: Wookieepedia)

You see, the Jedi don't deny the existence of their own emotions. They just look beyond them, because emotions are not the point - they are a function; indicators, warnings, reassurance etc. All part of our survival instincts. Not something to dwell on. So they just let them be. They don't feed their emotions because they have nothing to gain by doing so.
    Instead, they focus their beings on mindfulness, knowledge and balance. That way lies true strength and harmony.

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Who the ****'s opinion am i supposed to change?

Dandelo and BlackRanger like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not mine. Cuz mine is the right one.

Dandelo and only one kenobi like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    They were “friends with benefits” the same way people in a healthy marriage are - which is why Kanan dies/why he and Hera only consummate their relationship when he’s scheduled for a death episode, because if Filoni has that relationship consummate earlier, or has Kanan survive his final episode... then his dramatic instincts would likely have made Kanan and Hera as committed lovers the natural course of the story, and thus again expose where the meta-plot stops treating Jedi as Buddhist Monks, aka, whenever it makes a better story... which is much more frequent than a majority basis in some types of Buddhist teachings would have it be.

Star Wars is too romantic for most writers to competently hold to the “strict” Enlightenment ideas that Lucas sometimes embraced in interviews, and the Jedi are too much a hybrid of swashbucklers, knights, samurai, and other romantic adventure types to be defined by the strain of Buddhist monks they also have; writers almost always, like clockwork, either just have a “good” Jedi who still “breaks the rules” or make sure to portray the Jedi Order’s flaws in a non-Buddhist way, simply because that’s more fun to write and read.
    I stuck these two quotes together to reinforce my point about how very few creators actually want to write strictly Buddhist Jedi, and how frequently they break the rules and ignore the philosophies.

Why do we have so many major Jedi characters who started their training “too old?” Aside from the ethics, it’s because the meta-plot always benefits from the hero taking up the call, and giving the character agency gives them an edge that “orthodox” Jedi donut have... and thus part of the reason why there’s a lot more forgettable, cookie-cutter, seemingly deliberately underdeveloped orthodox Jedi as well.

And the Jedi’s purpose actually *is* to be appealing... to the audience and the creators. That’s another reason more cookie-cutter Jedi get treated like wet blankets even by people who will give interviews defending the “orthodoxy;” it’s a cheap as hell way to make the hero cool and interesting by making them a “renegade in the right.”

That’s the issue: LFL frequently, and even consistently, writes the Jedi in a way that would be incompetent as a defense or lesson on Buddhist detachment because it’s handy and easy... and because Star Wars lends itself to stuff that’s got more Taoist or Western Romanticism basis for philosophy than the “orthodox” idea of the Jedi contains.

It’s why we keep getting Jedi characters who are either written in ignorance, apathy, or “rebellion” against the orthodoxy - because ultimately, the “rules” don’t really matter to the writers as much as they might pretend they do.

8. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    STAR WARS should have accessible heroes with good stories, and they should have struggles, shortcomings and lessons to learn in those stories. The organization of the Jedi within those stories should not have everything that creates a challenge or something to rebel against removed from it. That would make the stories boring.

9. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    The thing that most Star Wars stories about unorthodox Jedi characters have in common is that they ultimately show us why the Jedi Code is right. That's the real point in the end. They teach us Jedi truths in entertaining ways.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2024
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Eh, sometimes they reinforce Jedi orthodoxy... but just as often, they don’t, and instead the “renegade” get portrayed as wiser and more mature than they would be if they strictly adhered to the orthodox; that’s where the Western romanticism and more Taoist stuff comes in.

And of course, there’s sort of an “unfair” element here on a meta-fiction level - romanticism is known to be a slippery, adaptive, “no but also yes” type of creative philosophy, where as long as the romanticism, can be warped into a shape that creates drama and passion, it can “hijack” an otherwise Enlightened lesson. That’s why the Luke and Vader stuff in ROTJ often gets held up as a refutation of the “no attachments” argument; romanticism increases the drama and passion of Luke synthesizing an attachment to his father with true selflessness and enlightenment, even if a more strict Enlightenment reading would go “Luke learned the right lesson we want, stop adding stuff!”

Now, I’d say the much vaguer idea of a Jedi ethos gets reinforced and proven correct all the time... but that’s where it gets flexible, romanticism increases, and you get the push so many fans have to “reform” the Jedi... and why so many creators feel completely unobligated to resist the urge themselves on single character bases.

There’s a difference between “We need good stories with struggles, shortcomings and lessons,” which I agree should apply to the Jedi, and “We need a replicable formula we can often lazily plug and play on a juvenile level with”, which is what often happens with “orthodox” Jedi whenever writers start wanting to have fun.

For instance... portraying the “No Attachments” clause as a pragmatic organizational choice that nonetheless has downsides and blindspots comparable to what it prevents is an example of good storytelling, much like how Legends started doing that with the Old Republic and New Jedi Order time periods: really embrace some of the creative freedom and intellectual depth of portraying “monkish” and “knightly” Jedi side by side, contrasting strengths and weaknesses of different types of Jedi and embracing possible dramatic conflict between them. Show that more attached Jedi *do* genuinely get tempted by the dark side more, but both have a more actionable way to pull back and a greater emotional intelligence than the significantly safer but not completely safe, and sometimes emotionally clueless, monkish Jedi.

In contrast, much of the time the current formula is used more as a variable excuse only applied whenever writers want to use it, or as a weird rule that writers needlessly act scared of rather than something to use creatively. Let’s not pretend like anyone at LFL was thinking about “no attachments” when it came to how key attachments were to their idea of Kylo Ren in the ST, or how sometimes the “no attachments” rule only rolls out to negate a possible romance creators don’t want.

And Filoni clearly felt “forced” to limit a romance he clearly dug between Kanan and Hera to right before Kanan’s death because he didn’t want to rock the boat - when he almost certainly could have mined an earlier consummation of the romance for solid philosophical and spiritual debate within Kanan.

It’s sort of like how the Spider-Man comics have multiple creators and editors who claim that Peter needs to have trouble and struggle to be relatable... but they often don’t mean “we’ll invests ourselves in well-conceived conflicts and struggles” but rather “we will use some cheap-as-hell tricks and a lower quality of writing so that we can just maximize content quantity.” That’s how you get some incredibly convuluted and stupid attempts to get rid of the marriage to Mary Jane in that franchise (even when it *still* generated drama and conflict) and replace it with a lot of problematic shallow stuff that doesn’t write women well.

Samuel Vimes likes this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Disagreed. The Jedi Code remains true and correct in its presentation. Differing takes are just biased.

Jedi Master Frizzy likes this.
  12. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Jedi Order survived for almost 25 thousands years where other religions were gone. Its a reason why and they are doing the right thing. The biased of certain creators dosent change the fact that the Jedi Order is right.

Subtext Mining and Lulu Mars like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It should also be noted that Daoism is an intrinsic part of Jedi philosophy and thus not to be considered a deviation from it.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    All I read in the last few pages is nothing but moralizing. I have come to the point where I couldn't care less what either the Jedi or Lucas think. They are all too full of themselves with their "no attachment" rules. I don't care if their dogma worked for millennia. Christianity "worked" for a while as well. [face_rofl]
    All I know is that Christianity has produced more bigots and criminals than possibly any other movement in human history.
    Another thing I have noticed. Y'all like to go on and on about Buddhism and even Daoism. Has any ONE of you ever read some of the original teachings in Sanskrit or classical Chinese? If not, what gives you the illusion of deep knowledge that apparently makes you feel so high and mighty on those philosophies?
    I have no clue about Sanskrit. But I have spent several semesters studying classical Chinese, including Daoist texts. But I in no way feel entitled to preach about its deeper meaning. Give me any given piece of writing by Lao Zi, and I just MAY, after hours of research with the right kind of books, be able to come up with something halfway intelligible in English. And yet I might be entirely wrong. At least I would not be arrogant enough to claim I have access to that higher knowledge as manifested in the few written texts available today and likely concocted from countless secondary sources or oral accounts.
    Let's just regard SW as what it is. Entertainment for 20th and 21st century kids or young adults, not some profound philosophical insight. Y'all just get over yourselves.
    Oh, and I am STILL not buying the "no attachment" concept! [face_laugh]

BlackRanger likes this.
  15. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Found the sith lord :emperor:

Dandelo and darth-sinister like this.
  16. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    Do you know what is my unorthodox Star Wars opinion? If George Lucas stopped making movies after the Original Trilogy and let the EU authors explore the rest of the universe as they saw fit — including the Prequel era, this whole discussion about the Jedi would not exist, and I suspect that the entire fandom would be much more united in general. I wish I could visit that universe.

Sith Lord 2015, Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Classic deflection tactic. And you call us preachy? We're just analyzing and discussing. Call it whatever you want, that is literally all we're doing. If that bugs you, why do you keep holding on? Be a Jedi and let go of your attachment to this discussion.

18. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

Jedi should carry feather dusters instead of lightsabers

bladed weapons are not for peace keepers [face_shame_on_you]

change my mind!

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    They cant defend the peace then and would live under a facist regime

only one kenobi likes this.
  20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    You know, that is an interesting point. Once upon a time, about twenty years ago, I was thinking of ideas for a third Saga trilogy. One of those ideas was that some politicians would be in opposition to the Jedi and in one scene, one of them would point out the hypocrisy of the Jedi choosing a weapon as a symbol for peace.

Now, I personally don't think that's a hypocritical choice - I think it suits the Jedi that they use what is really a multipurpose tool that can illuminate, defend, deflect, attack, destroy, maybe even weld - but it's still an interesting topic to look at from different angles.

BlackRanger and Sarge like this.
  21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Reminds me of "The Day of the Doctor", when Ten and Eleven start brandishing their respective sonic screwdrivers like weapons, and the War Doctor has to remind them, "They're scientific instruments, not water pistols!"

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because the Jedi are the most moral people in the galaxy. Their entire mandate is to help others for no reward and without a sense of self. To live a life without worrying about your loved ones is correct. To accept death as part of life is right.

LUKE: "Master Yoda, you can't die."

YODA: "Twilight is upon me, and soon night must fall. That is the way of things. The way of the Force."

Where do you think the Sith came from?

Duḥkha is what Anakin suffers from with his attachment issues and he finally finds Sukha, which his son and the other Jedi found in their lives.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    you saying Sith are an off-shoot of former Christians? :confused:

this thread gets more weird by the hour.

Sith Lord 2015 and Lulu Mars like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, why does Kylo Ren wield a Petrine Cross, hmmm?

25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Is it?
    The Jedi Code would say that Anakin in TPM should not be trained. He is too old, he has an attachment to his mother and there is much fear in him.
    So what would have happened if he was not trained? Palpatine's plan would be mostly unchanged as he did not really need Anakin. And if Anakin had been sent back to Tatooine to his mother, now that Palpatine is aware of him, he could grab him and train him as a Sith. So likely things would be worse.

The Jedi Code also says that Jedi should not have children, so no Luke or Leia. And no Luke then Vader would not turn good and kill Palpatine.

And what would the Jedi Code say about Vader? Yoda in RotS was clear, Vader is evil, Anakin is gone, he must be killed. Luke saw things differently and he was proven correct in the end.
    Showing that the wise are not always.

Anakin married and had children and one could make the case that his marriage is what caused him to fall but his children were what saved him. So Anakin was first doomed but then saved by his attachments.

This is fiction and everything in this fiction is based on the whim of the creator/creators.

So if the creator says that the Jedi have existed for 25 000 years, that in of itself says nothing about how right or wrong they are. They could have been 100 % wrong all the time and still have existed for many millennia as long as this is what the creator wants.

In the film Battlefield Earth, the Phsyclos are a race of dimwits and imbeciles that are beaten by cave men flying 1000 year old Harrier jets. And yet we are told that they conquered Earth in nine minutes and have conquered galaxies.

From what little I have read, for most of their existence, the Jedi did not have these strict no-attachment rules. They only came into play relatively recently so for most of these 25 000 years Jedi were allowed to marry and have children and people could start to train when they were adults.

Lastly, what does the PT and OT say about the Jedi's rules?
    At the end of RotS, Yoda and Obi-Wan have infant Luke and Leia to deal with. They know that Anakin was too old when he started to train, he had attachments. So could they not think that Luke and Leia must be trained younger and to make sure that they do not have these "bad" attachments?
    But they do not do this, they send both away to live with families, in Leia's case, one that adopts her and in Luke's case, a step-family. So Luke and Leia could then develop these "bad" attachments.
    I know that since the OT was made first, they could not really do other but the characters in the story does not know that.
    So why?
    Did they think that their code had been too restrictive and maybe they could be a bit more loose with the rules? Possibly.

Bye.
    Old Stoneface