main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Hit it." - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds [Paramount+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 10, 2022.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    You haven't missed much

I welcome the return to episodic Trek, hopefully this will work well.
    Though I find it difficult to see these known characters like Spock & Uhura played by different actors again (after years of seeing Nimoy & Nichols and then Quitno & Saldana), but I guess I'll get used to it

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Recasting is a lot better than CG abominations.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not expecting that, but it'll probably be distracting for a couple of episodes
    Especially as Uhura looks so different, though Spock mostly looks the same

4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    BuT oNlY oNe AcToR cAn PlAy An IcOnIc RoLe!!!!!11!!1!1!

Jedi Merkurian and Darth Guy like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, let's be realistic- if Trek had the budget and access to the technology 40 years ago, plus the actors participation, they'd still be CG'ing Shatner, etc in as Kirk and co. to this day and would never have established any recasting precedent.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel messing with a Noonien genome and slapping Spock for being emotionally dim. I'm in!

K2771991, Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And now one for this obscure character...

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Why doesn't Una look like Chapel? Why doesn't Chapel look like Una? Thanks a lot, NuTrek!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm glad they're not bringing back Nurse Chappelle.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    23rd century problems require 23rd century solutions.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Presumably the final adtier.

12. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Hmmm

Well, let's hope they think ahead of their time.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Has there been any news about who's writing SNW episodes? I just finished Disco season 3 and I'm hoping they have different writers.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    They're really giving this series the hard sell. Like they almost believe people are going to watch it. I really like the idea of an alternate Trek universe based on the original tv pilot. Will Spock have that same goofy personality he has in The Cage?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer and poster, presumably in advance of First Contact Day:

[​IMG]
    I'm surprised that they put the biggest cast member in the back row. ;)

That ship at the end- I'm assuming it's Orion, what with the spinning yellow circles being similar to the TOS scout ship:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My body is ready or some such.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This show looks great. Unfortunately it's on Paramount+. I just can't afford another streaming service. I might sign up for one month once the season is done and binge it and Discovery season 4.

Master_Lok and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's sort of the situation with mostt streaming services these days- there's maybe 2 you stick with and everything else you rotate through as needed. I'm sticking with P+ because I did the annual, but then this is a good year to do it for me as of a few weeks ago since I needed to binge DIS S4 (now done), LD S2 (almost done), PRO S1.0 (just started) while PIC S2 (halfway done now) and Halo S1 (1/4th done) were airing at the same time, so there's enough overlap there to justify several months. SNW will just sweeten the pot for a little bit longer once PIC and Halo are done. And, of course, LD S3 & PRO Season 1.5 will be around later this year too. And this annual period will likely cover at least part of DIS S4 next year, if not DIS S4 & part of PIC S3, so, again, good timing.

Also the Trek shows have all been leaving Netflix over the past 6 months, with TNG leaving this month and DS9 being the last one standing until it leaves later this year. And since I'm watching DS9 with a friend, there's the added benefit there for my situation with the back catalog.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    TX-20 likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I mostly like the trailer. And I'm hoping they don't have the obnoxiously obvious and pointless lens flares of Disco. Also hoping the swashbuckling and lirpa-ing are done well.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    For those of us outside the US here is a trailer you can actually watch:

As always I think Spock is portrayed too dorky and clueless compared to Nimoy's original, who had a twinkle in his eye and a certain irony in his delivery that his successors have failed to find (though I'm sure the fault is in the writing). Looks fun, though.

Juliet316, Sarge and Thena like this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I think Quinto hit it a few times, particularly his line about “would you prefer I wander the halls weeping”

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also have to keep in mind that both the JJ and DIS/SNW versions of Spock are still younger, earlier versions of the Spock Nimoy played on TOS. So any perceived absent qualities can be things he grows into- especially things that are likely from experience (ie: I would see that twinkle as coming from bemusement at situations from the perspective of someone who has settled into their role after a few years at it). Quinto's version had to accelerate his development due to the timeline changes and events, so there was room for some of that without it being fully formed.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did that trailer have some Ponn Far ceremony battle Spock scenes? Is he at his 7 year itch or flashback? I definitely saw a lirpa flying.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely the same weaponry. Could just be Vulcan combat training or other action sequences happening on Vulcan. It being Pon Farr would require a larger time jump than i think we're expecting between DIS S2 (2258) and SNW S1, with Amok Time being set in 2267. It's definitely a SNW S2S3 event to anticipate, though (much like with Tuvok towards the end of VOY).

It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle that subject- so much of Amok Time is built around the secrecy and shame Spock has about it that if we were to see it again, earlier in the timeline, it would spoil the mystery moving forward. Maybe they'll just have an episode or two where Spock is away on Vulcan for an extended period of time off screen and hint at it without showing it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Who's going to be at the Anson Mount/Strange New Worlds panel at Star Trek: Mission Chicago/McCormick Place this Saturday?