main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hogwarts Express: The Harry Potter Discussion/ Appreciation Thread! (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Welcome to the magical world created by JK Rowlings!

Come in here to discuss/debate all things Harry Potter. Feel free to discuss the books vs. films, current news regarding both genres. Feel free to post your reviews of the films, casting choices, special FX in the films, etc.

Any and all news regarding the new films is most appreciated! :D

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I enjoyed the books, but not so much the movies. However, I haven't seen the last one.

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    You should, it is actually pretty good :)

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    FYI, you guys can create specific threads on different aspects of movies/series. :)

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I personally love the movies. Even though there are large hunks of story that get cut in order to make time allowances for the films, I feel that so far the directors have done a great job of keeping not only the spirit of the books alive, but the sets, and their visions of the school and JKs world, beautifully matches what I always envision in my head when I'm reading the books.

In a lot of ways, I think that POA the film is better than the book, I love that they extended the back in time part in the book to help to build the drama. I also liked that Harry figured some things out in the film, whereas he was told them in the book.

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Only thing I didn't like with the POA movie was the fact they could have done a bit more on the Marauders, even if it was in the deleted scenes.

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    And explaining Harry's Patronus :( Other than that I loved the film.

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Yeah see that would all have tied in with that, unless they plan on doing that in another movie but not much point then :rolleyes:

9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Hey everyone. What do you think of the GoF movie?
    I liked it becouse of the story (GoF is my fav HP book), but the movie really lack all the brilliant details of the book. I mean, they haven't even mentioned Dobby and Winky, SPEW or other cool stuff, like classes of that crazy prof. Trelawney, Blast-Ended Skrewts... They have butchered the book!

10. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    "Dobby and Winky, SPEW or other cool stuff, like classes of that crazy prof. Trelawney, Blast-Ended Skrewts"

Were not really essential to the book.

Dobby will probably make a come back later but isn't really that important to the story and obviously there were ways to get around it. Personally it wasn't my favourite book, actually second least favourite so I rather like the movie with the changes.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I agree that the stuff that they cut out wasn't entirely necessary to the overall storytelling. I might've liked a few more class scenes - or at least seen Harry struggle w/ mastering the "Accio" spell so that we could truly appreciate it when he succeeds in getting the Firebolt to come to him in the Dragon challenge.

Other than that, I enjoyed the film as it was. I liked how they allowed Neville to become a star w/ the gillyweed as opposed to Dobby giving it to Harry. I do wish that they'd given us a bit more info about Neville though, especially after how freaked out he was after seeing the unforgivables. My sister (who's never read the books) had to be told about the reference of Neville's parents in the Pensive scene. Your "I've never read the books" crowd simply won't catch those small hints in such an action packed film.

Like Amber GOF is one of my least favorite books, not that it's bad, I just don't feel it added a lot to the overall story other than bringing Voldermort to life.

12. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Like peas in a pod us two :p

Actually, Mike caught on.

I guess it depends on how much attention you are paying as Neville Longbottom and Frank and Alice Longbottom you could pretty much guess. Especially after the class with the torture spell and in court it being said they were tortured [face_worried]

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah, I guess if people are really paying attention they can catch it. But if they just breeze over that Neville's last name is Longbottom, etc.

Oh well - it's mostly important for OOTP. Maybe they'll have Harry and Dumbledore talk about it in the next film to help fill in a plothole.

14. Zelda_Skywalker

Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    The Prizoner of Azkaban rocked. and not to mention the book.

Sirius's dog Animagus was cool too...If I had a dog, I was gonna name it that, but sadly..I have no dog.

15. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol when I get a house I am getting a black dog and naming it Padfoot ;)

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I've always wanted a black lab to name Vader [face_mischief]

But I love Sirius as the happy, loveable, loyal dog though [face_love]

17. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    But I love Sirius as the happy, loveable, loyal dog though

Yeah. it is funny when he says in Poa that he is usually a good dog and that he was hinking about staying like that, but the flies were killing him.
    :p

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I recently made new posters for my room out of my several old Harry Potter calenders and I put quotes on with the pictures... I had Sirius' one about staying as a dog permanently!

*sniff* I miss Sirius. I wish he hadn't died, but alas.

19. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I was so sad when he died. Even more sad than in the HBP when Dumbledore died.

BTW; what about the spoilers? Is this thread spoiler-free or not?

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Humm...I don't know, didn't think about spoilers. Perhaps we should just black them out for the future books. There are other spoilers Harry threads out there already.

Spoilers shouldn't stop the conversations though ;)

21. JamesBatista

JamesBatista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    You know what I love best about the Harry Potter books?

The extensive backstory, and how more of it is revealed with each new installment. it's been said multiple times that J.K. had all seven books planned out long before she started writing them. Considering how perfectly nearly everything slots together, I'm inclined to believe that.

After Book 7, Jo should write a book about plotting and worldbuilding.

22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I've been addicted to Harry Potter (well, Ron Weasley, actually, LOL) for a long time now.

I, too, find it amazing--the amount of work JKR put into creating the whole world of HP. After the last book I'd love it if she put out some sort of encyclopedia or scrapbook of her thoughts on the Wizarding World and the characters--the little bits that she posts on her excellent website only intrigue me more.

And I could spend hours at the HP Lexicon, so I'd certainly buy some sort of book like that if JKR put it out.

But, I've heard that she is starting the writing of Book 7 soon....man, I can't wait!

ETA: Wait, just realized I was in the film thread. Whoops! Well, I've enjoyed all the movies, but they can't compare to the books. Especially poor Ron. They have him just mugging at the screen all the time, and you loose the Ron from the books, who is harsh and silly (and, quite frankly a normal boy) but who is so loyal, and caring for his friends. I don't feel that comes across well in the movies, though they did some better with his character in POA and GOF.

And wasn't that dragon in GOF amazing? I think that was my favorite part of the movie!

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I think they still maintain the essence of Ron in the films. The casting of the main 3 were wonderfully chosen. Even though they may not have their characters fleshed out as well in the films as in the books, I think the actors do a superb job w/ the material given to them. They all seem to be fans of the books and really take their roles to heart.

So many times Rupert makes faces and acts out his scenes and they perfectly mirror how I envisioned Ron behaving in the scenes in the books.

I'm always amazed by the talent of the young.

24. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol well I'd agree on Dan and Rupert ;)

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh yeah, yeah, move along...move along....

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.