main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How about an animated series set in the New Republic era?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Todd Smitts, May 16, 2024.

1. Todd Smitts

Todd Smitts Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2024
    I'd very much like to see what Luke was up to around the time of the Disney+ series. Of course doing a convincing de-aging, like we saw in BOBF is very expensive and time-consuming. Plus, while I wouldn't have a problem with it myself, the death of Carrie Fisher means they would have to do a digital resurrection with another actor, like in "Rise of Skywalker", which might bother many fans, or leave Luke's sister conspicuously absent, like in "Ahsoka".

I think an animated series, similar to "Clone Wars" and "Rebels", set around 9 ABY or so would be really neat. The most obvious premise would be Luke going around, looking for people with Force abilities to rebuild the Jedi order. You can have pretty much all of the OT characters, plus Ahsoka and anyone else alive around then. (Maybe we can see Luke and Ahsoka actually meeting in a flashback).

Of course, Luke can also get guidance from the force ghosts of his father (I'd love it if Hayden did the voice, but in all honesty, it would probably be Matt Lanter), Obi-Wan,and Yoda. Heck, we could even have an on-screen meeting with Qui-Gon.

It would also be neat to see Luke and/or Leia learning about their mother, maybe going to Naboo, even meeting some of their surviving relatives. Honestly, I'd love if the writers could come up with some way of Luke communing with non-Jedi who have died and become one with the force. I know it's a stretch, but few people would complain if it was a good enough story.

We'd probably need some padawans at some point. Maybe a troubled apprentice similar to Kyp Durron from Legends.

I know Mark Hamill is a prolific voice actor, but I don't know if a seventy-something actor could convincingly play a twenty-something Luke. Perhaps Mark could play another role in the series.

What do you think?

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Hello @Todd Smitts

Welcome to the forums.

A New Republic animated show would be fine with me, though I think if they are going to go to the effort, it might be more fun and less work to build it around new characters, with the occasional cameo appearance by Luke or Leia or Han & Chewie, etc.

The problem with a series based on the major characters is that they quickly become the only thing people care about, and if the writers want to tell a story about something other than Luke's personal challenges or Han and Leia's relationship...it may be difficult to get across. If you use new characters, a lot of that baggage is absent and they can tell the story they want.

That said, I think an animated show about Luke's students might be very interesting...perhaps leading right up to that dark night when Ben went Kylo...

3. Todd Smitts

May 10, 2024
    Well, Clone Wars was able to make us care about more than just Anakin and Obi-Wan, even though they were at the center of it.

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm all in favor of getting more Luke and Leia in whatever era.

5. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    It really bugs me how we have shows like the Bad Batch over this.

6. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Master star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    They do have an animated series in that timeline, it is called Resistance on Disney Plus

Happy Sando and godisawesome like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah...

The catch is that Resistance was also a very “safe” animated series for the New Republic time period going into TFA - and likely, part of a (though not the determinative) reason for show’s end was that the internal debate going on in the ST and inside LFL about what the ST should be just made things too complicated for a series like Resistance trying to be more simplistic. LFL’s current confidence seemed restricted largely to OT-aligned stuff and anything Dave Filoni is personally in charge of.

So any peer-series to Resistance as a New Republic story sort of depends on what LFL would either want or allow it to be.

And yeah, I would argue the time period becomes much more tempting if any creator making such a show would be allowed to ignore the “spirit” of the ST’s more limiting decisions, particularly since neither Rey nor Finn were set-up to benefit from those limitations - like how Rey doesn’t get to be Luke’s greatest student thanks to TLJ, while Ben’s dead, so who cares if they retcon in Luke having some successful students who just get “Ahsoka”-ed past the ST?

Similarly, if you realize that trying to set-up the ST military situation can be a bit restrictive, just set the story before The Mandalorian, and show a wartime New Republic military still being competently overseen by the government, and just don’t show Senator Xiono doing anything.:p

8. Padd

Padd Jedi Knight

Jul 19, 2015
    Resistance was first and foremost a kids’ show. The Clone Wars started off as a kids’ show, but it quickly became more of a kid-friendly adult show. The same thing with Rebels, although I felt like it took too long for Rebels to get there, and the animation style kept it from being as mature as some of the themes it presented. I am probably in the minority that I much preferred The Clone Wars to Rebels, for that reason. Resistance never came close to mature themes or trying to capture an adult audience. I would love to see a show during that timeline that more closely resembles the maturity level and animation style of the last few seasons of Clone Wars.

Master Endz-One likes this.
  9. Todd Smitts

May 10, 2024
    It just occurred to me that a NR-era animated series would be a great way to continue the character of Baylan Skoll, since Ray Stevenson has died. It wouldn't take much to set him up in the series as an antagonist for Luke (or still Ahsoka).

Shaak Ti likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Exactly. I think a lot of people tend to be overly analytical and cautious about these things.
    It's really very simple: Would people like to see more of Luke, Leia and co? Yes, they would. Great, then they can make an animated show about their adventures. During those adventures, new characters are introduced and we get to know and care about them through their on-screen relationships with the characters we already know. As was the case in TCW.

Besides, the story they want to tell might actually be the story of Luke and Leia...

Shaak Ti likes this.
  11. Todd Smitts

May 10, 2024
    I mentioned that Baylan Skoll could be brought back for this series as an antagonist for Luke. Another alternative would be to import Jorus/Joruus C'Baoth or Exar Kun from Legends.

Or yet another alternative would be to not directly bring in Joruus, but rather the spirit of such a character by introducing some evil/insane clone of some Jedi we already know, like say, Mace Windu. (Perhaps the Kaminoans were secretly trying to clone Jedi during the Clone Wars, but something went wrong.) This might not be such a huge leap, if you remember that Timothy Zhan's original plan involved a mad clone of Obi-Wan. Joruus was only created after that idea was vetoed.

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If Ewan was up for it, I'd actually be interested in seeing him play an evil clone of Obi-Wan in live action.
    Of course, since GL didn't accept that idea back then, odds are they won't even contemplate doing such a thing.

I think Baylan is sort of Filoni's version of Joruus anyway, though.

13. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Yes!!!! 1,000 times yes. Let's get a Clone Wars style series about the events after Return of the Jedi featuring Han, Luke, Leia, etc...fertile ground for sure.

14. Todd Smitts

May 10, 2024
    Realistcally, it would probably not be Ewan, but one of the actors who voiced Obi-Wan in Clone Wars or Rebels. And yes, such an idea would probably be shot down again, and frankly I don't blame them. I think seeing some sort of evil, insane version of one of the most iconic characters in the franchise would be a bit too off-putting. That's partly why I suggested someone like Mace Windu (who, frankly, is a lot less sympathetic) instead.

It's possible that Baylan was a bit inspired by C'Baoth, but apart from being a dark Jedi with a white beard, they don't actually have that much in common. If Baylan reminds me of anyone, it's Dooku, having grown disillusioned with the Jedi and current government and deciding to go his own way. He doesn't seem insane, like Joruus or have the arrogance and disdain for non-Force users that Jorus did.

15. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Yess a New Republic show that could work as an anthology show like The Clone Wars. Where we can have Luke and Ben Solo along with new characters in his jedi Acedemy and Leia in the new Republic as the dangers of corruption begins to set in the government. See Han Solo on his adventures. This would be set post Mandoverse and few years before The ST Trilogy. We could see whats up with other Jedi in this time like Ahsoka/Ezra/Sabine/Shin Hati and potential Jacen Syndulla. See more Snoke and in animation. See more of his manipulation of Ben. Palpatine make small cameo.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
    Shaak Ti and jedi_master_ousley like this.
  16. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    If feel like they probably wait o. This one until they are completely finished with the Mando story so they can bring in grogu or not without spoiling Mando. I hope it does happen and we see grogu return to Luke potentially and die with the attack on the temple.