main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Do You Pronounce 'Zekk'? {A Pronuciation Centre} PLEASE JOIN!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Courtney_Solo, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    [face_plain] "Not going to cry...not going to cry...." [face_frustrated] Oh look, I got mad instead.

'Zeck' sounds so weird. :( Oh well, Live and Learn is always say.

I used to pronounce 'Jacen' as 'Jaken' so that goes to show what I know.

Just to satisfy myself tho, Zeke will be my Zekk. :D ;)

2. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I pronounce it 'Zeek'. :D I may be in the wrong, but that's how I pronounce it. ;)

As for Jacen, I pronounce it "Jason". :)

3. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I pronounce Zekk Zeck, and Jacen Jason. And Jaina Jane-a. But I've never been good at sounding out, since I learned how to read from sight, not sounding-out words. Still gives me trouble to this day...

4. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    For me, Zekk=Zekk, Jacen=Jason, Jaina=Jay-na. But how do you pronounce Lusankya and Siri?

Seeree? Sairee? Seerai?

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Lusankya and Siri?

Lusankya - Loo..san..kiya (the "kiya" at the end to, me at least has a very Russian feel/sound to it. )

Siri - now that I think about it, it probably would sound like "FiFi" aka "FeeFee" or "SeeRee."

Of course nobody should take any advice from me on pronouciation, I slaughter names all of the time :p

6. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Siri is See-ree.

How about Shmi? My hebrew-speaking abilities dictate I pronounce it the same as the word my "My name is", which is Sh-mi, with a slurring on the shm, but I want to see how it's tackled. I don't remember how they said it in the movies... >_<

7. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Cherry, I agree with you on Zekk and the twins. I'd pronounce Lusankya like I were talking to someone playing Battleship with Lucille: "Lu sank ya." I rhyme Siri with leery or weary.

8. Courtney_Solo

May 23, 2005
    I pronounce 'Shmi' 'Sshh-me' :D BUt I dunno if that's right, actually it is, cuz it's in the movies. :oops:

9. DathomiranAuthor

DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    I pronounce Zekk as Zek/Zeck, and then Jacen like 'Jason' and Shmi like 'Shmee'.

The one name I've wondered about when it comes to pronunciated is Lowie. At first I used to pronounce it like the name "Louie", but now I tend to pronounce it more like how it looks, "LO-ee".

10. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I think I'm one of the few people who pronounces Jacen the wrong way and can't get away from that. When I read the Thrawn Trilogy, I didn't figure Zahn was trying to turn earth names into GFFA ones by doing a misspelling of Jason. I thought it would be exactly the opposite, and that pronouncing it "Jah-sen" would avoid that uncomfortably cheesy earth-name encounter. How wrong I was. ;) I still can't pronounce it the right way now that I know it's supposed to be Jason. :p

Jae O:)

11. Courtney_Solo

May 23, 2005
    Lowie MUST be pronounced "Low-ee" ...I hope... :p

12. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Forgive me if this has been done before but how do you pronounce Coruscant? my sisters and I get in this argument over this all the time and we can never hear it clearly on the movies.

EDIT:I pronounce Lowie, Low-ee too.

13. Blondie_JediKnight

Blondie_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    hi!
    I pronounce Coruscant, core-ooh-sant
    I don't know if this is different from everyone else, but I say 'Lowie' as Lao-ie, which is probably wierd.

14. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    I pronounce Lowie Loh-wi. Also, I dunno if it's right, but I pronounce Coruscant Kor-us-aunt.

15. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    This is how it is pronounced in the movies and how GL has pronounced it countless times so I'm inclined to think that you are correct.

16. Courtney_Solo

May 23, 2005
    :D I'm enjooying watching all the questions, I'm not the only one who gets confused as it turns out. ;) :D

Courtney

17. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I always pronounced Coruscant, Core-uh-scaunt but I'm the worst pronouncer of words so core-ooh-sant is probably right since they pronounced it that way in the movies. Thx all.

18. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    So Courtney, who won the bet?

Oh, here's a pronunciation to try on for size: Mitth'raw'nuruodo
    [face_devil]

19. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    "Mith-raw-nuru-odo" :p

Something I've noticed is that a lot of the complicated-looking names found in Star Wars (hyphens, apostrophes, wandering consonants) are actually anything but when it comes to pronounciation. I'm sure it's intentional - no one wants to have 100 characters with names better reserved for a "Languages of The Pre-Mayan Yucatan".

Though, usually the problem is not with pronounciation so much as which pronounciation is right, as this thread shows [face_laugh]

20. jedi_master326

jedi_master326 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    Here's how I pronounce that: Thräwn;)

21. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    Good call...simple and to the point. Nice umlaut too.

You could call him blueberry, but I've heard brilliant strategists have issues with such nicknames...

22. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    I bet he was the class clown back in his academy days. :p

Considering his name was abbreviated to Thrawn, I'd assume that was one syllable. Also where do you put the emphasis?

23. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    I bet he was the class clown back in his academy days.

[face_laugh] No doubt.

STUDENT, stunned: Who destroyed my orbital battle group?

[Tall, blue-faced second-year cackling to self in corner of room]

Good point, though. Is it "Mith-raw-nuru-odo", "Mi-thrawn-uru-odo", "Mithrawn-urodo", etc...

The emphasis is probably something like Mit-th'raw'n-uruodo, but how to know?

24. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I pronounce it "Mith-raw-nur-oh-doh." Lusankya I pronounce as "Loo-zank-yuh". Pellaeon I pronounce "Pell-aih-ee-on", Shmi as "Shmee" (one syllable), Zonama Sekot as "Zoh-nom-ah See-kot", Vergere as "Vur-jeer", and Chaf'orm'bintrani as "Chaa-form-been-trah-nee".

25. Courtney_Solo

May 23, 2005
    The bet? OH, for pronouncing 'Zeek' and 'Jacen' *sheepish grin* :D

My best friend who actually has a sense of pronunciation. ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.