main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How long should the Saga films continue?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Jun 17, 2016.

?

How long should the Saga films continue?

1. The Saga should continue forever

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. The Saga should continue forever but with long breaks between trilogies

16 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. The Saga should end at episode 12

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. The Saga should end at episode 9 or 10

16 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. The Saga should end at episode 9, 10 or 12, but the main characters should still appear in spinoffs

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. The Saga should've ended with the Original Saga (Episodes I - VI)

31 vote(s)
    29.8%
  7. The Saga should've ended with the Classic Trilogy (Episodes IV - VI)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. The Saga should've ended with ANH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Saga should only include the Holiday Special :p

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. The Skywalker Saga should end near 10 but there should be other Sagas earlier/later in the timeline

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't follow. The trilogy currently in the making is Rey's trilogy.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I would've liked to see the films end for good with I-VI. The six episode saga worked perfectly for me, and I thought there was something dignified about allowing it to end for good. Sure, tie-in material was still going, and maybe that live action series might've happened eventually, but the theatrical saga ending just struck me as the right move. Where it's at now with annual installments just makes the whole Star Wars experience more diluted for me, especially given that I consider the two Disney entries to be really bland/uninspired.

3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. I really don't understand Darth Basin's comment at all

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

In many ways, this is my position, too. Spiritually speaking, I find it impossible to argue against your sentiments. The six-film saga works magnificently as it is; anything else, from a certain point of view, only means dilution, detraction, and dissolution. If I may introduce a term, I see the existing Lucas saga as the primary data structure of Star Wars; everything else is everything else. From that wonderfully rich and vital matrix, one may extract -- or, indeed, build -- a universe. If the saga was complete with the OT, it was expanded with the PT; and it is now being indefinitely extended under Disney. I think, personally speaking, I prefer completion and expansion, or completed expansiveness, to unbounded extension; except, perhaps, where the universe itself goes. On the grandest of scales, who knows? But as a condensed thing existing within the super structure of the universe, the six-episode saga is more than sufficient.

Moreover, conceptually, I view the Lucas saga (I-VI) as a sort of "finished meta film"; much as Lucas himself has described his saga. Which is to say, it is one "twelve-hour" movie masterpiece; a rolling tapestry or conceptual caldera with no equal. But what also grants it a conceptual brilliance, in my opinion, is that it feels like a body with its missing half. That is, when it was just the OT, it wasn't quite a functional thing, texturally or thematically. It could be looked upon that way if you put a mirror across one side; giving the illusion of a complete being. But it only truly became "one" with itself, complete unto itself, when the vibrant ecosystem of the PT was added. A little bit of mixing metaphors, but basically, the saga didn't really have a functioning set of subsystems -- nervous, cardiovascular, endocrine, et al. -- until Lucas really developed all the inner wiring in the PT. Now it's a complete thing.

Such a viewpoint, in my opinion, also accords with certain structural features of the OT (and, of course, the PT, echoing and expanding on all of them), such as the binary suns of Tatooine (and later Coruscant), the two "droid narrators" of Artoo and Threepio, the "brother" unit of Han and Luke, the "sister" unit of Luke and Leia, the "lover" unit of Han and Leia, the "blood pal" unit of Han and Chewie, the "him-her" paradigm of Han and the Falcon, the "double smuggler" unit of Han and Lando, the "big-little" paradigm of the Death Star and Artoo, the "Jedi Master" unit of Obi-Wan and Yoda, the "Sith Master" unit of Vader and the Emperor, the "man-machine" unit of Vader and Luke, the "father-son" unit of Anakin and Luke, the "mother-daughter" unit of Padme (images, feelings) and Leia, etc., etc. Everything in Star Wars encloses and reduces to a duality, some way, some how. To see this play out, finally, as one independently-authored mythological trilogy becoming two, and thereby completing itself in a grand and "singular" way, is, well, satisfying barely describes it.

All that said, it is really inevitable that Star Wars is continuing. It's like Lucas unlocked something in the human collective unconscious that, now, for better or worse, no-one can rightly stop. And everyone here, no matter their individual persuasion, I'm sure, obliquely grasps the intellectual criminality in bringing Star Wars to a sudden halt and letting it rot. It's much too great a sandbox for that to have ever happened or been allowed to have come to pass. As much as I see Star Wars as George Lucas creation, first and foremost; well, it's also undeniable that many people have played around in his creation over the years; and many more undoubtedly will. Lucas, in creating Star Wars, almost solved the "chicken-and-egg" paradox. The cinematic chicken-and-egg arrived at the same moment, when Star Wars came to the screen in May 1977. The world hasn't been quite the same ever since.

5. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Does it really matter how long WE think the films should go on for? At the end of the day, Lucasfilm will keep making these movies until the end of time, and I believe that was always going to be the case, no matter how many times Lucas said "it's only a six part story".

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    12 part Saga, 9 part Saga with 3 anthology films, 3 films, 6 films, 6 films only, 6 films and TCW, No ST, ST announced, etc.

Bee Bee and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    They should keep making the films as long as they are still good films. If they become crap then it's time to stop

8. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Exactly. The Sarlacc one is gonna be lit af.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

But realistically, when does that happen? For Disney, its when their profit margin drops precipitously which may not happen in the near future.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  10. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Well that's the real thing that will keep them going, as long as the films continue to rake in the cash they'll keep making them. I suspect it would take a few clunkers in a row for them to quit

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I like how some people voted that it should've ended at the Holiday Special!! [face_laugh]

I went with ending at Episode 12. I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of this storyline with these new characters we've been introduced to in the ST. But then really end it at that point. I mean a true, definitive, HAPPY ending. New republic formed, new Jedi order in full force, peace in the galaxy, etc.

THEN, I would love to begin other trilogies focusing completely on all new characters in a completely different timeline, maybe including a trilogy taking place thousands of years earlier. I mean, like the Skywalker name would not even be mentioned the whole time. Time for some all new heroes, as well as villains! Less advanced technology, different colored lightsabers, etc. It could be a nice fresh new take on the GFFA!

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I say Ep 12 would be a good place to end!

13. BombBurro

BombBurro Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2015
    There is so much story to work with, lets just hope they don't mess it up.....

Sarge likes this.
  14. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Nine Saga films are more than enough for me. Spin-offs are fine but I want this series to have a definitive end. When a studio makes too many sequels, people tend to get tired, we don't need a fourth Lord of the Rings movie and when something ends of such a good note, there's really no point in making more movies. Star Wars could've easily ended after Return of the Jedi but thanks to a little something called the Expanded Universe, it raised interest in wanting more movies set after the Original Trilogy. The Sequel Trilogy might be it's own thing, but given the source material left over from the old canon, the possibilities are endless.

15. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The Saga should have ended with VI. George Lucas always wanted it to be the Anakin Skywalker story. I might disagree with Lucas on a lot of things regarding SW, but the Saga is unquestionably his creation and it should absolutely go in the direction he wanted. Could the Saga continue? Maybe. But after seeing VII it really had nothing to do with Anakin. Will they tie it together with VIII and XI? Possibly. But the Saga must stay faithful to it's overall concept, and currently it seems as if VI was a good time to end it.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    My guess is that there will be a pretty conclusive ending to Episode IX. Given the box office success of Rogue One, I would frankly be okay with Lucasfilm sticking to spin off films from there on out.

17. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    You'll never get that. At least they way fans imagine it. A movie is based on conflict, and the conflict is resolved towards the end of the movie. After the climax you can get what, 5, 10 15 minutes tops to wrap up things? Lord of the Rings managed to include a very extended ending but even there we didn't actually see a new era in full force, just the promise of a new era.

And that's just how Return of the Jedi (and even A New Hope!) ended -in a very economic, fast paced, SW way of course, with a musical sequence showing us that he heroes have won and anticipating a new era of peace and glory. It could've been a bit more extended, yes, but honestly, you'll never get an ending long enogh to make fans feel it's a "true definitive" ending. You'll never see a "new republic formed, a new Jedi order in full force, peace in the galaxy...." unless it's a very quick montage similar to what we got in the SE of Jedi.

18. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Um, when the original SW was made Anakin and Darth Vader weren't even the same person. That didn't happen until partway through the making of TESB.

DarthCricketer and Martoto77 like this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As of now to Disney saga means the story of the Skywalkers whereas with Lucas it meant Anakin but then he had his sequel story which was the family so either way that continuation is there.

They could drop the Episode designation and still make movies or trilogies but not with that distinction. Does that make a difference?

The ST makes sense in that it's about the continuing aftershocks from I-VI but at some point it has to turn into it's own new story. Once Luke and Leia are out of the story then you really get into a different place.

That happened in later 77 or early 78 as Lucas wrote the story and script.

20. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017

I agree 100%.

21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Since there are 6 films centered around the Skywalker storyline, another 3 serving as a bridge between the first six and a new generation, there will probably be 6 more after that, so at least two more trilogies after the ST in order to flesh out the entire story line that is currently being presented.

Also consider that at some point the entire original 6 will probably be rebooted and remade with a different cast and whatnot in the same way that is happening now with Star Trek. I think that's inevitable, maybe 20-30 years from now, there's just too much money to be made from that for Disney to forego doing it based on sentimental fanfare of people not wanting it to be done.

22. The saga must have ended in Episode VI no more no less
    What they could have done is make a spin off movies like Rogue One or make a new trilogy based in the Old Republic