main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How mature is Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by BadCane, Dec 21, 2015.

1. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I'm a long time Star Wars fan and I really enjoyed TCW. Went throug all of it. It's pretty clear to me that TCW started as a kids show and ended up developing and becoming more mature as the series went on. So as an adult Star Wars fan I ask you people: Is Rebels worth watching for an adult or it's too much on a slapstick kids tv show?

Thanks!

2. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
  3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I haven't watched all of it, I watched some season one episodes, but didn't like it.
    It didn't seem very mature to me.(But I can't speak for season 2 since I didn't watch)

4. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    You don't need to be a kid to enjoy it.

5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So much this. I don't see why adults feel like they can't watch a "kids show". A New Hope wasn't exactly dark and mature, yet adults love it. Rebels is basically like that. Sure, there's comedy, but there's also some dark elements as well. Especially near the end of season one. Actually, throughout the whole season there's some pretty dark things that happen.

Give it a try. If you love SW and TCW, you'll enjoy it.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm 44 and I enjoy Rebels more than TCW. There is some slapstick comedy but "comedy for adults" does not have to mean "convoluted jokes involving subjects not family-friendly enough to post about here." And there are a few srs bsns elements, including at least one full episode of growth-in-the-Force type stuff and more than one indicating what happens to people who cross the Empire.

It doesn't have Dora the Explorer saying "I just saw Zeb hit the stormtrooper. Can you tell Zeb to hit the stormtrooper again?" So...give it a try.

7. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I don't find it childish, there is some really great action and some good episodes out there that I quite enjoyed.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Personally I like it better than TCW so far....it kind of goes back and forth of being more for kids and being a bit more adult I think, and as the series has gone on I think it's continued to steer more towards the "adult" side, but really it's a show kids and adults can enjoy.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'll be giving it a shot in no time.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    It's a family show meaning everyone can watch it.......though sometimes I do find myself cringing at Ezra's antics (but that's just me)

11. TB-5580

TB-5580 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Its a family show. Its probably geared a bit more towards kids but if you love Star Wars, its not bad.

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    like TCW, it does have its darker moments. Those are offset by the more numerous light-hearted and often cringe-worthy moments.

13. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    Do you still watch it or dropped already?

14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    yes, I still watch it. I like that we've got a new group of characters that we don't know what happens to, and the show has been a great way for team behind it to sneak EU concepts into canon. I'm looking forward to the rest of season 2.

15. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    I get what you're saying. I loved when TCW introduced Onderon into canon.

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Rebels is well worth watching.

17. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    It varies wildly in maturity. They can have a experianced warrior act like a five year old one episode and the next people get decapitated. And they refuse to allow lightsabers to cut people and for some reason Ezra can't kill people yet Sabine can.

Darth Basin likes this.
  18. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I feel its a bit generic but its a guilty pleasure

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The writing and action is often cringe worthy. But with TCW dead, and if you need or would like to watch a SW cartoon or embrace all things SW by being able to look past its many problems, then Rebels is the only option and you may enjoy it. Maybe it'll get better as time goes on but then again maybe not. I give it two stars out've 5. Episodes also never feel as long as the TCW episodes either for some reason. TCW was a better made show but even that had a few issues here and there.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Not very. It's a kids show that dumbs itself down too much because it's "for kids." I can still enjoy it, overall, but it'll never reach the heights of a classic like Avatar: The Last Airbender, Batman: The Animated Series, or even a sweeping epic like Gargoyles. That being said, it's still better than a lot of other cartoons out there. It's better than the crappy half of The Clone Wars, but nowhere near as good (yet) as the incredible good half of that show.

I will add that I REALLY like the characters in the show, and that it's not so cringe-worthy that I can't still have a good time. There's a LOT of room for growth and depth and sometimes it just hits the mark nicely.

BadCane likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oy, don't post more than once in a row, seventhbeacon. Use the Edit button ya ninny. :p

And I'd say while Rebels is a family-oriented show, how mature it can be varies from episode to episode. It can tackle some pretty deep themes, but it also likes to let loose and act silly from time to time.

22. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    I'm so glad you brought those two shows. I'm a HUGE Batman: The Animated Series fan. I also like Avatar, but I have some deep affection for that Batman show. Now that's a mature cartoon. I'm sure Rebels is nowhere near that. But as I said before, I'll give it a try. Also, the first season only has 13 episodes.

23. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I was a fan of TCW and enjoy Rebels as well. It hasn't gotten as dark as TCW was its last...what 3 seasons, but it's enjoyable.

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I haven't seen anyone beheaded as of yet.

25. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Aresko and Grint...?