main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How TROS Has Affected Your View Of The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lord Jocusta, Dec 23, 2019.

1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, RJ said Rey is the “audience surrogate” so yes Luke *was* talking directly to the audience….

2Cleva and alwayslurking like this.
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I dunno. I think that might be how you perceive it. After all, it does make sense Luke would probably would have this knowlege by this point. its 30 years after episode 6. He likely knows alot of things at this time.

Whether you want to say Rian did alot of meta talk to the audience. Which lets be honest. all of the ST films are guilty of that. But id argue Luke referencing Darth Sidious is probably one thats fits.

Personally if someone had told me before TLJ that Luke was gonna reference Palpatine. id have said they will just acknowledge him as The Emporer. Because "Palpatine" is PT and "The Emporer" is safer and won't offend anyone who dislikes the PT. And i would have felt referencing him as "The Emporer" would have been more forced for Luke at that time, as its ignoring that The Emporer had a name. He had 2 names infact. The guy who schemed to down taken the Jedi wasn't called the Emporer.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, Luke references Darth Sidious once, implying that he went back and learned all about the PT Jedi history and what went down, and basically came away with the wrong lesson. He makes it seem like it was all the Jedi's fault for all the evil in the galaxy. Just like he blames Obi-wan for Anakin's fall, and his training. (And Obi-wan blaming himself, makes sense. He feels responsible for his role in it. For not doing more. For losing his old friend. But Luke should know better. Anakin made the choice. Just like he made the choice to be good again)

I think this is a RJ thing. I can't tell if he personally believes it, but he seems to be saying that the tug of war between light and dark, good and bad, is the good guy's fault. Bad will be bad so you can't blame them. Which is why he has Luke "nobly" and erroneously, quit being a hero.

Luke should have gone back and learned the Jedi history, after the events of ROTJ, for sure. (Maybe even with a little help from Ghost Dad.) But not to learn that the Jedi suck and need to be extinct. That makes Luke incredibly stupid, and only serves Palpatine's goal.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Shadao, dinnertime, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  4. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Luke in TLJ seems to want to pass off his own failings as inherent flaws with the Jedi as a concept. The issue with his arc is that, as far as the film is concerned, he's not wrong. When Luke finally has a conversation with Yoda, it's just about him working past his failings. No one ever brings up that Luke was inherently wrong to have blamed the Jedi in the first place. The film is telling us that the Jedi were to blame for Sidious rising to power and Anakin falling to the dark side.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Luke’s reaction was childish. He wasn’t wrong to point out that Palpatine hid right under their noses and that they failed to stop him. The prequel era Jedi knew that themselves. Heck if Obi-Wan or Yoda left any kind of journal for Luke to find, they probably pointed out their own overconfidence.

But neither of them believed the Jedi needed to die off. I think perhaps the regretted that the Jedi had become more a political arm rather than a spiritual body that always did the right thing.

But even in the OT they’re still making mistakes by insisting Luke kill Vader. Luke doesn’t believe that’s right. Obi-Wan tells him then Palpatine won. But Luke proves Obi-Wan wrong. By refusing to fight Vader, Vader is redeemed and Palpatine dies.

It’s an incremental evolution in the right direction learning from mistakes along the way. Then when Luke fails all he sees is the failures, not the victories, and he wants to destroy the Jedi and leave the rest of the Galaxy to bear the burden of his failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Characters learn from their own mistakes, as well as the past, in the OT

in the ST it’s all just lip service to make us think they are.

themoth, Def Trooper, 2Cleva and 4 others like this.
  7. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    There's also zero logic in the idea, that if the Jedi should end, because they're part of the problem, the solution is to let the Jedi go extinct, while two wannabe Sith are still at large.

8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think the idea is that training jedi creates the possibility of more sith. If no force users are trained... Then no possibility of more sith.

Which really was the point of the no attachment rule. The sith were extinct because they wiped themselves out and the jedi were able to keep things stable with no attachments being trained at a young age.

9. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Again. I think it's some 8th grade nihilistic bs evil is natural and going to exist, fighting it just continues the endless cycle. Evil exists because of the failings of good people. And while that could have turned into something deeper - like say Neo realizing he needs to stop fighting Agent Smith so he can actually destroy him in the last Matrix movie - in TLJ, it's just stupid. And childish. And wrong. And not SW.

If that's the case, then Luke should have cleaned up his mess before going into retirement. That way there's no Sith out there. Should have acted like an adult, instead of a child. In th end, it was just an excuse not to act. Because he was a coward.

10. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think fell into a deep depression. which presumably would affect someone's mental state. i say presumably, but really it would.

Tommytom likes this.
  11. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Now you're using mental health as a shield from criticism.

I don't think that's fair. It basically ends the debate.

Luke wasn't depressed. And depression doesn't go away on the fly after a green gnome guilt trips you for five minutes. And not after Jedi Therapist whips your ass violently.

In reality, Luke knew he was wrong and was making excuses for his mistakes. He was actively doing whatever he could to justify his inaction. That's cowardness, not depression. Because he was afraid of failing again.

12. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    And what would be the downside of trying to stop Snoke and Kylo Ren? If Luke failed, he would die anyway, which is what he wanted. So, the whole Jedi need to end schtick was a badly thought out reason for Luke's inactivity, unless the point was for him to seem like a coward.

13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    At least that Luke would have been someone who believed his own BS. Killing off the Sith, and then leaving the Jedi extinct to get rid of the cycle.

But Luke was just scared and ashamed.

14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I ain't using anything as a shield. Everyone looks at Star Wars and likes to explain how characters are feeling or thinking. And luke has a reason to be depressed.

Tommytom likes this.
  15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    No you’re using mental health to shield off criticism.

Depression is a neuro-bio-chemical imbalance that is largely outside of ones control and based on a number of issues resulting in mood change and disinterest in daily activities. Luke may have had a change in mood, but did plenty of activities during his days; namely fully taking care of himself, fishing, drinking, etc, and kept a busy lifestyle on that island. His life was not impaired outside out of a couple of huff and puffs.

Depression also just doesn’t just go away w a pep talk. Or guilt trips. And over coming depression doesn’t happen that way either.

Luke just didn’t want to be a professional Jedi again because he failed one time. He was ashamed, and scared of failing again, and created BS excuses to quit his job and retire early. These decisions, as well as lying to himself, and not being true to himself, left him deeply unhappy. That’s the mood we see: which is a classic SW theme. That is why Yoda’s 2 min pep talk worked.

16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well that sounds more like 1 form of depression. Depression can come in many forms. Its like someone whose too depressed to live the house. doesn't mean they ain't eating or drinking. They just feel hopelessness and no motivation

I mean its not really a subject that needs heavy reading into. Luke clearly has lost something. He has lost faith. He even maybe haunted by his own actions. It just seems to be whats going on with Luke. Which probably would be like depression.

Tommytom likes this.
  17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    If Luke has depression then the writer or the movie's answer to heal him, or get him out of that depression, is horrifically bad. Which, I guess seeing as the rest of TLJ turned out, and doesn't understand the themes it espouses, probably makes sense.

Depression isn't really saga theme. Throwing that into the mix in the second to last episode is curve ball. It doesn't link to anything that comes before it. But not being true to yourself, and the path that one takes while not listening to their heart is a fundamental theme to the saga. In the exact same way that Anakin became Vader, and subjected himself to a horrific dark life, by choosing give into his fears, to ignore his heart, his passions, and the force (That's J. Campbell right there!) This is exactly what Luke is doing on that island.

But if you want to believe that Luke has depression, then none of this is really his fault. Because he has a mental health issue that is largely out of his control and he's suffering from a psychological and chemical imbalance that cannot just 'be fixed' by guilt trips and angry Jedi Therapist who try to fight him. If you want to insist that Luke has depression, than you're also taking one of the very few things about the movie that work, and wrecking it. Cool.

2Cleva and alwayslurking like this.
  18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well thats debatable. Thats like saying if you are depressed you can't do anything to fix that. you can, Its why people go to therapy.

People can get out of depression. But the how's usually vary.

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the overall effort from Johnson here is wildly misdirected because he is disconnected from the narrative and characterization of the previous movies and the world, which results in having the meaning of Palpatine’s defeat in ROTJ neutered for Luke as well as Anakin well before TROS brings him back.

I think that Johnson never really engaged with the characterization, character arcs, or idealistic-but-not-optimistic nature of the OT, primarily, even though he clearly was a fan of the process of the filmmaking; he likely viewed *everything* in broad, archetypal paradigms, where character progression and depth wasn’t quite a thing before he sat down to right TLJ. I’m not quite accusing him of hubristic arrogance per se, but more such extreme disinterest in the narrative of the film series in comparison to the filmmaking that he genuinely never clocked Luke's maturation or the unique mythology that Star Wars was creating for itself rather than imitating.

And the giveaway for me is that he seems completely lost when it comes to the scale of the story’s stakes, consequences, crimes, and heroism.

Part of the thing that makes Luke more of a willful, self-centered coward in TLJ is the same thing that makes Rey a massive idiot and unnatural fascist groupie: Johnson is succumbing to the “one death a tragedy, a million is a statistic” maxim as it applies to drama, and simply places no value on the millions of deaths off-screen or the on-screen crimes from the previous movie. For Luke especially, this translates to missing how much fo a crucible ROTJ was for the character, and to skewing things so that Yoda voicing a few lines of fortune-cookie-wisdom matters more to Luke than the billions fo deaths he is aware of.

It’s possible he just can’t take that part of Star Wars seriously, but he doesn’t have nearly enough dramatic emphasis on the Wars part; likely one of the reasons Rogue One is so radically different from TLJ.

This is also why he completely ignores the meaning of ROTJ for Luke, and why he inadvertently undid Luke's victory over Palpatine from ROTJ - in ROTJ the point is that Luke weathers the crucible of a Galactic scale conflict and manages to preserve his soul, even earning Palpatine’s grudging respect as a Jedi enemy in a way his father couldn’t. But that kind of pressure and idealism isn’t what Johnson paid attention to, so just having Luke do something an archetypal failed mentor would screw up with in the flashback is what he does.

…Which is where you get the problem where a discerning, character-focused audience member is going to see the dude who focused on love, righteousness, and virtue when facing the devil himself with the fate of millions in the balance, and either just not accept that he’d pull a saber on his nephew without provocation, or think that his nephew’s should is so clearly damned that the audience is liable to think it counts as provocation.

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    That’s mot what I said. I said you don’t have control over it. You can’t just turn it off like Luke does after a single pep talk.

And what is that chat about? failure. when he finally realizes he’s made the wrong choice and needs to follow his heart and open up back to the force and he’s needed.

if it were depression it would be something else entirely. It’s about Luke finding himself again and being true to the light. In the same way his father came back to the light.

21. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Id say its not exactly the same. Luke hasn't joined the dark side. He is just having a loss of faith. If you wanna call it that.

And i don't see why there wouldn't be depression involved here. you would have to categorize the idea by one sorta meaning.

22. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I don't know, if anyone else made this connection, but for all my misgivings about TLJ, it was TROS that moved the saga into self-parody territory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Twenty years earlier in Thumb Wars: "We escaped somehow..."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    PendragonM and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    TROS has become very meme worthy

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10