main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Hurricane Katrina: How We Can Help

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by chiss_man, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    A lot of people are wondering after the deveasting tragedy in the Gulf Coast how they personally can help out. So I'm proposing that we organize, under the main FF drive which Dajuan can clarify more, a fund raiser to send whatever help we can to that region. Now how would we go about it though? A straight up cash donation system? Also, Dajuan mentioned to me about a auction to raise funds, there's also the possibility of sending care packages. If anyone has more ideas please post them. Any little bit will help.

2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Thanks for posting this. You beat me to it. Kudos to you Chris. :)

I have an idea (although it is pretty late at night and I could be having delusions and such, but whatever)... How about something like we did on May 21st? Too much maybe? We could tone it down a bit. All proceeds go to Katrina victims and relief?

Think of it... More publicity for the STLFF, but most important of all, we will be helping out disaster victims while we do it.

Although a fund raiser/donation system would work too... :)

3. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I actually like that, we could do something around the release of the ROTS DVD on November 1st (because let's face it, the need will be there for a long time). Of course, we could do a general fundraiser right now as well. But Dajuan and I have been talking about this for a bit, she has some ideas to post tomorrow morning, we can go on from there then.

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    The OFH, MS, and the CR forum have a little contest going with this. I'll post details as I have them. Doing something for the DVD release could be interesting albeit complicated. I was thinking something along the lines of organizing a massive EBay acution or some of our SW stuff we have and don't need. All proceeds going to the relief effort. We could join forced with other board groups too possibly.

I'm willing to help organize an EBay drive if I can get some support (I'll tell you what I'd need in the lines of that, not much) if we decide to do the DVD release, someone else if going to have to spearhead that. There is just now way I could do that alone or even really be the front runner of that.

5. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    If you decide to go with an auction, let me know. I'll see what I can dig up to donate?

Or, whatever is decided, let me know - I'll do what I can to pitch in.

6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    The DVD release thing sounds like a good idea. I know we could probably have something at Best Buy, etc.

I wonder if Barnes and Noble will be open at midnight when the DVD comes out. If so, I bet I could talk them into it. It'd be good publicity for them as well, since they are a new store and all.

I don't know about the auction thing, I've never really trusted eBay. Heard too many bad things about it. Of course, I have never really used it, so I don't know.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I've both bought and sold on EBay with little to no problems. I have over a hundred positive feedback (meaning I know my way around that site). I trust EBay well enough for something like this. There's no reason we can't do both.

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Oh, I'm thinking about making a cloak or two to auction off. On those I'd give the profit to the fund rather than the full amount (they can be expensive to make). Since Halloween is nearing us a couple Jedi Cloaks might go over rather well, especially with that new pattern they have out.

9. JeedaiElf

JeedaiElf Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Just in case I miss something somebody PLEASE PM me when we decide what to do and I will do whatever I can to help

10. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Updates should be posted here as we get things organized, so we'll keep you informed.

11. JeedaiElf

JeedaiElf Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Thanks C-man

12. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
  13. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    Don't know whether or not it is true, but I had a couple of gentlemen tell me this weekend that only about $.20 of every dollar that I donated to the Red Cross goes to their relief efforts. Anyone else hear anything like this?

The rest goes for salaries and the business end. If this is true, I'd steer people towards other relief funds.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Most of the organizations are like that, I'm not sure the exact percentages that are going to the admin costs though. Normally I'd suggest the BackStoppers because 100% goes to the people, but that's just for downed police and firemen, not really appropriate in this case.

15. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    There's also former President's Bush and Clinton's fund, BushClintonKatrinaFund, which George H. promised on Larry King last night that "every dollar goes directly to the states in need. It is true that most charities take a percentage of all donations to pay for various things, I don't know if that 20% figure for the Red Cross is true though.

16. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    That's what I'd like to know. I realize there are costs involved, but I was floored when I heard 20% went to relief. I'm thinking it should be the other way around.

17. Draco19

Draco19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    I agree, some of the figures of the actual money that goes to relief really surprises me at how small they are, I think they should make the percentage a bit bigger than twenty percent, more like mabye 40 or 50.

18. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Just to let you all know, B&N is looking for "promotional" things (not sure what word they use to describe it at this hour, lol) for the month of November... I was going to mention a SW thing for the DVD release...

19. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    That could work, they did something like that for the HBP release, with like face painting. We could put a banner of relief aid up and hopefully get a lot of donations. There could be fencing demonstrations (or whatever it is you kids do) and Star Warsy stuff and "Kiss Captain Charisma" booth for girls ages 18-19. :cool:

20. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I don't think I'd have time to put together a big duel presentation or anything, but we could just put something together quick.

See, the thing is, we would actually want people to come... That was the plan anyways, unless you had something else in mind. ;) LOL

21. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    The crowds would flock, you watch! :p

22. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I'd be watching a long time waiting for it to happen, and frankly, I have more to do with my time. ;) LOL

23. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, we could do a "Crack Captain Charisma in the crotch with a lightsaber" booth and I can guarantee at least one repeat customer.

24. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    [face_laugh]

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Um.... maybe two :D *Hides*

*Hopes Christian knows I tease*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.