main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I Do, Promise -(L/M, OC AU) Romance, angst-- ~*~ Thanks!/ Bonus Features! ~*~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by mavjade , Dec 15, 2007.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Truncation has been fixed for the entire story. 5/10/15

Title: I Do, Promise
    Author: mavjade
    Genre: definitely AU, Romance, Angst
    Characters: Luke, Mara, OC's and probably others
    Timeframe: Starts at the end of Vision of the Future
    Summary: "If neither of us is married by the time we are 50, will you marry me?" What if Luke and Mara hadn't gotten married after Vision of the Future?
    A/N: So this is obviously an AU, and is inspired by a promise a friend of mine and I made in high school. I know some of you are wondering why I'm taking on a new project when I haven't even caught up on my drabbles, and the only answer I can give you is... the bunny wouldn't leave me alone!! :D I also want to tell you that I have the entire plot in my head, unlike other WIP's I've done before, so while I can't promise DWB won't get me at some point, I promise I won't abandon this cause the plot drops to a dead end! Thanks to jace84z for the beta! [:D] [face_love]

I'm going to do my very best to update this once a week! If you would like a PM I would be glad to send you one when I update!

Enough of my rambling, and on to the story!

PM List
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1298988]Dana-Skywalker[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1067681]VaderLVR64[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1286845]dancing_star[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=927839]Kidan[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1298044]Myriad_daydreams[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1201920]Bianka_Kenobi[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=542223]Ceillean[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1207676]JediMasterJessica[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1140098]Jade_eyes[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1207006]Meredith_Kenobi[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1304721]madman007[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1301248]Irish_Jedi_Jade[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1154611]JEDIFLYSWATTER[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1297606]mara_jade_rox[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1324936]jacensolofangirl2007[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1321606]skywalker277[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1291299]angry_bendu1[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/pm_send.asp?usr=1345885]Ryorin[/url]
    http://boards.theforce.net/PrivateMessages/SendMessage.aspx?usr=1186071]DaenaBenJen42[/url]

~*~*~
    Prologue

We promise according to our hopes, and perform according to our fears. ~Francois duc de la Rochefoucauld

Luke and Mara were on their way back from Nirauan after Luke had gone after Mara to rescue her, which was a reversal of the normal routine the two friends usually preformed. Perhaps it was the change of the usual that set the tone, or perhaps it was the events that took place on the strange planet in the outer-rim. Either way, they found themselves in the strange ship with the Caamas document in tow when Mara started a peculiar conversation.

"I want you to promise me something."

Luke looked at Mara with a sincere smile, but said nothing. Mara seemed to be in a reflective and open mood, which was something he didn't want to disrupt by opening his mouth.

"I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life." Mara continued as she gazed out among the stars.

Luke was slightly confused, as--to his way of thinking, at least--this statement had nothing to do with a promise, but he let her continue at her own pace.

"I just lost something that was very important to me. The Fire was everything I have, but ..." she hesitated, debating if she could actually ask Luke the question she had in her mind. She wondered if it would change their relationship; if it would hurt the friendship they had worked so hard and so long to create.

Deciding that he was the only one of whom she could ask such a thing, she continued. "If neither of us is married by the time we are 50, I want you to marry me." There it was, out in the open. A small part of her wished she could take it back--she was merely having a moment of weakness--but things that are said could not be unsaid. After a few moments she dared to turn her head to look at Luke, slightly afraid of the reaction she would see crossing his face. She could tell he was bewildered and slightly concerned at her strange request, but there was a smile on his face. She shouldn't have expected anything less, but this was Luke, after all.

"Alright."

She was perplexed. There were simply none of the questions or lectures she had anticipated. However, she took his answer and continued gazing at the stars as they passed.

Luke, who was confused, spent the next few minutes wondering where such a thought came from and how she came up with that solution. He knew that losing the Jade's Fire had hit her very hard; in fact, it was the only time he had ever seen her cry. He knew that the ship represented everything she had after her escape from Palpatine's wrath, but it was only a ship: something he planned on helping her replace as soon as they got back to the core and resolved the issues they had discovered.

Thinking on it a little harder, he could see what she had said: she didn't always want to be alone. Neither did he.

After this few minutes of pondering, Luke reached over and placed his hand over Mara's. He figured she would jerk it back and wonder what he was doing, perhaps even leave the cockpit altogether, but to his surprise, she looked at him with a thankful glance and squeezed his hand in return.

The rest of the journey was slightly awkward. Neither of them knew what to say after such a conversation, but it did not hurt their friendship as Mara had feared. In fact, it strengthened it. They were closer now than they were before; closer than either of them could have ever imagined.

tbc...

2. Dana-Skywalker

Dana-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    She could tell he was bewildered and slightly concerned at her strange request, but there was a smile on his face. She shouldn't have expected anything less, but this was Luke, after all.

"Alright."

Oh Lukie. [face_laugh]

Interesting premise; I like it! Have you seen "My Best Friend's Wedding"? The movie has a somewhat similar idea.
    Anyways nicely done! If you're doing PM's, I'd love to be notified of updates. [face_batting]

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Put me on your PM list! I can't wait to see where you're going to take this! :D

=D=

4. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Awwwww!!! I love this so far!![face_love]
    Deciding that he was the only one of whom she could ask such a thing, she continued. "If neither of us is married by the time we are 50, I want you to marry me." There it was, out in the open. A small part of her wished she could take it back--she was merely having a moment of weakness--but things that are said could not be unsaid. After a few moments she dared to turn her head to look at Luke, slightly afraid of the reaction she would see crossing his face. She could tell he was bewildered and slightly concerned at her strange request, but there was a smile on his face. She shouldn't have expected anything less, but this was Luke, after all.

"Alright."

[face_love][face_dancing] [face_laugh] Farmboy! [face_love]

Pm list please!!!:D [face_batting] I can already tell this is going to be great!!!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

5. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    now, this is a highly interesting lil story.

more soon please Tahiri, an add me to the pm list as well. Thanks!

6. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Oooh, I love this already! I can tell this is going to be amazing[face_dancing] What an interesting concept for a story- so unique and yet so like Mara to say. I love it, and may I please recieve PM's with updates? [face_batting] Can't wait to see where you go with this.

7. Bianka_Kenobi

Bianka_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    Wow! Great idea! I can't wait to see what happens when the get home, and I can't wait to meet your OC. Can I get PMs too? thanks!

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I like! Mara and Luke are so wonderful together.
    Looking forward to reading where this is going.

Could you put me on the PM list as well, please?

9. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    Awesome start! Can't wait to see where this is going. Please add me to the PM list

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I looked at the title and said: Looks like a sweet romantic title, then there's L/M--yay!!! Then I noticed OC, and thought: Oops, don't put me through the changes of Luke with anyone but Mara LOL The closest I came was Jedi_Lover's incredible Choices and that was a Mara clone, though she was uniquely herself .... Anyway, all that to say, this looks fascinating, and it's by Mav so it's gonna be great--and could I have PM's? ;) You will make me SQUGGLES won't you?? [face_laugh] [face_batting]

11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you all so much for reading!! I've almost got the next chapter finished, my brother came in from Boston this week and I don't get to see him very often, so needless to say, I didn't get as much written as I wanted to by this time. Sorry! It should be up by Monday or Tuesday at the latest!

Dana_Skywalker:
    Oh Lukie.
    You just gotta love him, don't ya!! ;)

Interesting premise; I like it! Have you seen "My Best Friend's Wedding"? The movie has a somewhat similar idea.
    Anyways nicely done! If you're doing PM's, I'd love to be notified of updates.

Thanks! I actually haven't seen it, thought I've always wanted to! I'd be happy to send you PMs!
    Thanks for reading!!

VaderLVR64:
    Put me on your PM list!
    I'd be happy to!

I can't wait to see where you're going to take this!
    Hopefully somewhere!! :p
    Thank you for reading!! [:D]

dancing_star:
    Awwwww!!! I love this so far!!
    :D Thank you!!

Farmboy!
    LOL! I love the farmboy in him and try and use it when ever possible!!

Pm list please!!! grin batting I can already tell this is going to be great!!!
    Absolutely!! Thank you... I hope you feel that way when it is done!! ;)

Han:
    now, this is a highly interesting lil story.
    Thank ya, Han!! I hope it will stay that way!

more soon please Tahiri, an add me to the pm list as well. Thanks!
    No problem! I'll do my best not to leave ya hanging too long!! ;)

Myriad_Daydreams:
    Oooh, I love this already! I can tell this is going to be amazing
    Awww... thank you!! [:D]

What an interesting concept for a story- so unique and yet so like Mara to say.
    Thanks!!! I got the idea from a pact a friend of mine made in high school! I hoped it wouldn't be OOC for Mara! I'm glad you think it is something she would say!!

I love it, and may I please recieve PM's with updates? batting Can't wait to see where you go with this.
    Of course!! I really hope it is going somewhere!! :p

Bianka_Kenobi:
    Wow! Great idea!
    Thank you!!

I can't wait to see what happens when the get home, and I can't wait to meet your OC. Can I get PMs too? thanks!
    It should be interesting to say the least! :) You'll get to meet her (my OC) in the next chapter!! I'll absolutely send you PMs!!
    Thank you for reading!!!

Ceillean:
    I like! Mara and Luke are so wonderful together.
    Thanks!! They are wonderful together, aren't they?!! I'm definitely a hard core L/M shipper!!

Looking forward to reading where this is going.
    Hopefully it will go somewhere!! :p And hopefully it will be a fun path!

Could you put me on the PM list as well, please?
    Certainly!! Thank you for reading!! [:D]

JediMasterJessica:
    Awesome start! Can't wait to see where this is going. Please add me to the PM list
    Thank you so much!! I hope you will continue to enjoy it!!
    I'd be glad to send you PMs!!

Jade_eyes:
    I looked at the title and said: Looks like a sweet romantic title, then there's L/M--yay!!! Then I noticed OC, and thought: Oops, don't put me through the changes of Luke with anyone but Mara LOL
    [face_worried] Uh oh!! :p All I'll say is keep reading!! ;)

he closest I came was Jedi_Lover's incredible Choices and that was a Mara clone, though she was uniquely herself ...
    That was an amazing story!! Mara but not Mara!!! 8-}
    Mara will be herself in this, but not exactly in the way she and Luke are in cannon. I'm really trying not to give anything away! ;)

Anyway, all that to say, this looks fascinating, and it's by Mav so it's gonna be great--and could I have PM's?
    Awwwww... thank you so much! That comment made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! I'm flatte

12. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    An interesting idea. *mischievous chuckle* [face_mischief] I'd love to come along for the ride, it looks as if it's going to be a blast. PM list, please?

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    The next chapter has been sent to the beta, so it shouldn't be long!!!

Meredith_Kenobi:
    An interesting idea. *mischievous chuckle*
    Thanks!! Tee hee hee!!

I'd love to come along for the ride, it looks as if it's going to be a blast. PM list, please?
    I hope it will be fun!! I guess only time will tell! ;) I'd be glad to send you a PM!
    Thanks for reading!! [:D]

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Chapter One: Adalet

"You look absolutely stunning," Luke whispered in Mara's ear as she stepped up beside him.

She wore an emerald dress that almost matched the exact color of her eyes with a small train that trailed behind her as she walked. Her long hair was delicately placed on top of her head and fresh flowers with beautiful purple blossoms were placed in her red locks. Something so delicate, on her, was not a thing Luke thought he would ever see.

"Just for you, farmboy. It is a special occasion, after all." she whispered back as though she could read his thoughts exactly. Luke often felt she could do just that, and she felt that he could do the same. They discovered after coming back from Nirauan that their bond was stronger in many ways, including the bond they shared in the Force. Their friendship had blossomed just like the flowers in Mara's hair. They could often be found working out or training together, and since Mara had become an official Jedi after extracting herself from Karrde's organization, they frequently went on missions together. Alone, they were both very strong and able fighters; together, they were an unbeatable team.

"You don't look half bad yourself," she told Luke. "You actually wore something different for a change. I'm proud of you."

A hint of a smile crossed his face and they shared a long, knowing gaze, which was interrupted by a change in music.

She was a pretty girl, not overly gorgeous with her short brown hair, dark brown eyes and pale skin, but the dress she wore made her look extraordinary. It had a sash and embroidered flowers on the train in the same emerald green of Mara's dress but the main color she wore was white.

Luke turned from Mara --standing to his left, with Han standing to hers-- and looked at the woman walking toward him. His smile was what could only be described as vast. She smiled as he offered her his hand and she stepped up beside him. Mara gave him a wink as he turned away from the seated guests.

"I would like to welcome friends and family to this very special occasion: the marriage of Luke Skywalker to Adalet Carro. They have chosen to bind their lives together on this joyous day, surrounded by those they love."

Luke was barely listening to what the officiant was saying. He was too busy staring into the eyes of the beautiful woman who was about to become his wife. They had elected to have only a traditional wedding, since Adalet was not Force sensitive. Luke would have loved to have a Jedi ceremony, but in the research Tionne had done, there was a great deal of silent meditation and being the caring person Luke was, he didn't want Adalet to feel left out. After all, it was her wedding as well.

Luke was amazed with the fact he had even reached this moment in his life. If someone had asked him a year ago if he thought he would be standing next to the women he loved, marrying her, with his best friends Mara Jade and Han Solo standing beside him, he would have accused them of taking too much spice. A year ago, he had been a lonely Jedi Master, with few close friends other than family; who lived in service of others, never taking time for himself.

"Luke, if you would please take Adalet's hand, and repeat after me..."

The mention of his name pulled Luke out of his reverie, and he did as he was asked.

"Today, as I give myself to you, my mind is clear and my commitment is strong and without reservation. I take you to be my life's partner. I will spend all my days at your side. We will share a lifetime of eternal, immeasurable love."

After finishing his vows, Luke took a moment to show a smile of gratitude to his sister who was standing on the other side of his soon-to-be wife, looking stunning as always. She was, after all, the one who had introduced Luke and Adalet.

tbc...

[color=purple]Next time on I Do, Promise... we learn how Adalet and Luke met!

Here is a CG rendering I found on the net that looks almost exactly like I picture Adalet.
    [image=http://

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ahem!! [face_dignified] Loved Mara's dress--she sounded absolutely breathtaking. Luke's vows were also very poetic. *reverts to original wow! style* ;) Foot, Mav, I expected an engagement, maybe, a rival, maybe, but a wedding? Foot, you plunge right in!!!! [face_laugh] Lands, Luke on a honeymoon with someone other than Mara? Wow!!!!! :eek: :eek: Good night!!!! Gracious!!! Don't worry though LOL, you've not lost a reader.... if anything I'm gonna stick even tighter LOL That was the grandmother of all plot twists!!! =D= Huggles!!! J_e

16. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    :eek:

Whoah! Way to throw your readers for a loop on only the first chapter!!! :p LOL I wasn't expecting that at all!!! Even though I had to grit my teeth to get through Luke and Adalet's wedding :p it was very sweet and I did enjoy Luke's vows. No matter who he's marrying, he's always going to be the same, adorable Luke [face_love] But poor Mara! :( Oooh you really have me hooked now! Fab update, mav! :D

17. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    ... *glances up at story codes* hmm.... can't wait to see how you're going to pull this one off. More soon please :D

18. DarthJaded

DarthJaded Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2006

Wow, that was totally unexpected. :eek:

I like this idea and I so hope that Luke and Mara will end up together but I`ll hold judgement on Adalet until I find out how she and Luke meet.

Can`t wait for the next chapter

D.J.

19. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Okay, wasn't expecting that. [face_hypnotized]

Lovely job. You've officially succeeded in making me want to read MORE!

20. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Sorry I've been late in reviewing, but you know those pesky holidays that just have to come back to back at the end of the year.

Prologue - Very interesting concept. I assume that since this is AU that Luke did not propose in the flooding cavern. [face_chicken] But, that's ok. Maybe he'll get a chance to do a proper proposal? I love the ending with just the silence and them holding hands. Nothing communicates better than pure action over words. [:D]

Chapter One: Adalet - Ohhh kaaayyy. This is different. Luke marrying another? And Mara left single? Wait a minute. That could be a good thing. ***straightens my suit and sharpens his sarcastic speech** Yeah, like I have a chance. [face_praying]
    Something tells me an event will happen after the phrase, "If anybody objects to the joining of this bond, speak now or forever hold your peace..." Or Luke looks into Adalet's eyes and says, "I take thee Mara-er...uh Adalet!

Keep me in the loop on the PM's. Gotta see this one through. =D=

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Tickled to bits over madman's ... plot speculations LOL Especially the first one where Mara says: Yes, I object blast it!!! No one is gonna lay some major lovin's on my boo but me!!! *my words not hers but the same message* [face_laugh] ;)
    Edit: Please send a link for this boo of a fic to the Luke_Mara_Index sock!!! [face_dancing] [face_batting]

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    It's hard to picture Luke without Mara, but you've done a great job here. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Though I admit you've got me a little worried. :p

=D=

23. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Aww, mavjade! That was such a beautiful update!! @};-I loved it!!!! [face_love]
    Wow!:eek: They're married!! I'm so interested to see where you take this!
    Wonderfully done!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=
    P.S. Sorry it took so long for me to get to this. I've been sick.[face_tired] Huggles!! [:D]

24. Dana-Skywalker

Dana-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    Like everyone else said...

:eek:

That was a shocker right there. And its only Chapter 1. [face_laugh] I can't imagine Luke with anyone besides Mara, so you better do something about this wedding quick! ;) Hehe...but all my personal preferences aside, nice job! It was a good chapter. And thanks for the PM!

Can't wait to see where you take this. :)

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Tee hee hee! [face_devil] Now I know why people love to do evil things to their readers! It's just so much fun to see the reactions!! :p The theme for this weeks reactions seems to be ":eek:"!!

I do have to tell you all that I am a hard core L/M shipper, so hopefully that makes you feel better! :D

Jade_eyes:
    Ahem!! [face_dignified]
    LOL!!

Loved Mara's dress--she sounded absolutely breathtaking. Luke's vows were also very poetic.
    Thank you! I was worried that Luke's vows would be too earthy!

*reverts to original wow! style* Foot, Mav, I expected an engagement, maybe, a rival, maybe, but a wedding? Foot, you plunge right in!!!!
    [face_laugh] What can I say, I like to hit the groud running! :p You know... just an engagement never crossed my mind. 8-} Oh, well whats done is done!

Lands, Luke on a honeymoon with someone other than Mara? Wow!!!!!
    Yep!! What can I say, I like being evil! ;)

Good night!!!! Gracious!!! Don't worry though LOL, you've not lost a reader.... if anything I'm gonna stick even tighter LOL That was the grandmother of all plot twists!!!
    LOL! I've never really done a plot twist before, but I might have to do them more often if they get this kind of reaction!! :p
    I'm glad I'm not gonna lose you, just remember I am a L/M shipper all the way!!

Myriad_Daydreams:
    Whoah! Way to throw your readers for a loop on only the first chapter!!! LOL I wasn't expecting that at all!!!
    Tee hee hee!! It seems no one was!! :D Don't worry there shouldn't be too many more surprises in the future! At least not like that one! :)

Even though I had to grit my teeth to get through Luke and Adalet's wedding it was very sweet and I did enjoy Luke's vows
    Hopefully you will like her eventually... Mara will! :) Just remember I'm a L/M shipper too!!

No matter who he's marrying, he's always going to be the same, adorable Luke
    [face_love] of course he is!! You gotta love him!

But poor Mara!
    Don't worry about her, she's ok!

Oooh you really have me hooked now! Fab update, mav!
    Thanks you!! I'm glad you are enjoying!!! [:D]

Han:
    *glances up at story codes* hmm.... can't wait to see how you're going to pull this one off.
    It should be interesting to say the least!!! :D

More soon please
    Should be next week!

DarthJaded:
    Wow, that was totally unexpected.
    That seems to be the general reaction!! LOL! And I like that reaction!! [face_skull] :p

I like this idea and I so hope that Luke and Mara will end up together but I`ll hold judgement on Adalet until I find out how she and Luke meet.
    I hope you will like Adalet, I don't want people to dislike her. Mara likes her! :) I'll just tell you, am a L/M if there ever was one! ;)

Can`t wait for the next chapter!
    Hopefully it will be up by next Monday!
    Thanks for reading!! [:D]

Meredith_Kenobi:
    Okay, wasn't expecting that.
    LOL! It seems no one was!! I didn't think it would be that big of a shock!!

Lovely job. You've officially succeeded in making me want to read MORE!
    Thank you!! I'm glad you your hooked!! :D

Madman007:
    Sorry I've been late in reviewing, but you know those pesky holidays that just have to come back to back at the end of the year.
    Don't worry!! I'm so far behind on my reviewing, I can't see the end of my PM box! :p

Very interesting concept. I assume that since this is AU that Luke did not propose in the flooding cavern. But, that's ok.
    Nope, totally not gonna happen in this!

Maybe he'll get a chance to do a proper proposal?
    He just might...
    then again he might not!! You'll just have