main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I don't like sand . . ."

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by BuriedAlien, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuriedAlien

BuriedAlien Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Critics of STAR WARS in general and ATTACK OF THE CLONES in particular love to savage this line uttered by Anakin Skywalker, and while I recognize that the line is not the most profound that I have heard in drama, it is not as vapid and inane as critics suggest. The line has a metaphorical quality when applied to Anakin. His aversion to sand might be a metaphor for his abhorrence of his roots as a slave on Tatooine. Sand reminds him of Tatooine, a place where he had been a slave (and where his mother would soon perish). This line might have deeper implications than many people realize.

2. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    I'd say that Anakin's referencing sand being just a surface statement that more deeply reveals his still feeling the psychological effects of having lived a slave's life and, as far as he knew at that point, believing that his mother was still living one would indeed be the purpose of that line in the movie.

3. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I dont get it either. The line is delivered harmlessly and with perfect sense. Its minuscule. Iv expressed displeasure with scenes with way more wieght than this and was chased like Frankenstiens Monster. I cant believe those four words erk so many people. Maybe they forget he's from a Sand Planet where depressing things surrounded his childhood.

4. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    Surely, as a kid, he must have enjoyed building sandcastles, and then destroying them imagining he was a Dark Lord of the Sith :D.

That line was fine. There are a couple of awkward ones in the movie, but I don't think this is one of them.

5. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    hey vacantlook, I love your signature, that's so true (I'm a musician)...

Yes, but critics don't to admit that anakin is immature and a whinner (is that the correct orthograph?), as was luke, but anakin is more, because of his past, his situation, and in that way, lines that are sometimes apparently corny take sense, that's my point of view...
    But I think in episode3 (even if I don't read spoilers), Anakin will be more mature and will have a different attitude, closer to luke's, so Hayden will one more time do a good job, showing anakin's evolution!

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This has been my take on the line since the first time I saw the flick. Fine analysis. Shame some folks miss the point.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I don't understand why this line is so bashed. Aside from the symbolism already mentioned, it's also Anakin's clumsy and flirty response to Padme's "we slept on the sand" line which he parlays into "everything here is soft" as he makes his move.

8. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I got the line right away. I know why he said it to.

9. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    It's not the line about not liking sand that bothers me, it's the stuff after that, about Padme being soft and smooth. Makes me cringe every time.

10. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    It's not the line about not liking sand that bothers me, it's the stuff after that, about Padme being soft and smooth. Makes me cringe every time.

What's wrong with that? He was just expressing his feelings for her.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the line.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and
    irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft... and smooth...

Sand is coarse and rough and
    irritating, and it does get everywhere, and if I lived in the desert for nine years I wouldn't like it either.

11. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I don't understand the obsession with the sand line either. Its harmless and its not like Hayden delivers the line badly, and like has been pointed out it obviously has roots to his life as a slave on Tatooine, there is just nothing wrong with it at all.

12. Rainbird

Rainbird Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2002
    Mixza nailed it. Nothing wrong with that line at all. Anakin comes from a harsh, desert planet. Of course he wouldn't like sand and the lushness of Naboo would seem a totally different environment to him.

The 'criticism' of that line is just one more example of how some critics and viewers really have got their heads stuck up their backsides.

There are some reviews out there that actually misquote the line and then attack it as bad writing. They misquote it and then they attack it!!

And they call themselves critics.

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Agreed, I've never really understood the problem with this line.

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
  15. mixza

Jan 28, 2004
    The 'criticism' of that line is just one more example of how some critics and viewers really have got their heads stuck up their backsides.

LOL! So true! Actually, Rainbird, you're the one who nailed it! ;)

16. vacantlook

Mar 28, 2004
    hey vacantlook, I love your signature, that's so true (I'm a musician)...

Thanks dude! :)

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    The only problem I have with this line is that people keep misquoting it as, "You're not like sand."

18. mixza

Jan 28, 2004
    That isn't the line's fault.

Okaaay. That goes on my list of things I never thought I'd say.

19. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Possible lines in E3!!!

"I don't like sand . . .It gets in my breather, my switches get all dusty and my mechanical arm is only good for a garden rake." :p

It's just not fair, Obi-Wan is always holding me back...and kicking sand in my face, "I don't like sand!!!" ;)

Padme, making me look like a fool in front of her senate friends, kicking sand in my face, "I don't like sand!!!" :)

20. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The line irked Ebert so much, especially when he misheard it ;)

21. vacantlook

Mar 28, 2004
    especially when he misheard it

What did he mishear it as?

22. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Ebert thought that Anakin said, "Not like you." rather than, "Not like here."

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

23. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I don't like critics. They're harsh, coarse, they get everywhere.

Not like 3SA. Here everythings soft, and smooth...

*vomits in a bucket*

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't see how the interpretation being given here fits the situation in the movie.

If you want to say he doesn't like sand because of associations in his mind with his life as a slave on Tatooine, fine. That would be credible in some cases.

Except here, he's not speaking seriously. He uses this line as a segue into flirtation. If sand means what you say it does, this doesn't make sense. Why would Anakin trivialize his own suffering by using it as part of a pick-up line?

That's why I've always criticized the line, anyway.

25. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    you know lots of people wants to seduce by making the others have pity for them....(is it correct english? I think you understand what I wanna say)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.