main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananakin_

Bananakin_ Jedi Master star 2

Dec 3, 2016
    Healing is already a taboo in Star Wars. Has it been done in the EU? Absolutely, but it was always a rare and situational ability. And I'd say even then it wasn't always for the better. So to have a resurrection like ability is just... no Rey is op. Arguably one of the most important plot points of the PT was Anakin's desire to learn this ability. Had he done so, the OT simply doesn't happen. Plageuis was the only one who knew, Palpatine MAY have learned it, but that's speculation. Rey just does it, seemingly no faster than how she learned the jedi mind trick back in TFA.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I'm proud I know what that was by name before seeing your comment. But yeah that's a bit sad. Headcanon is Rey just kissed Ben out of pity and goes back to the resistance and is making out with Rose off screen. Have a non-straight lead already dammit

3. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    That ship (for him joining the good guys) sailed the moment he murdered Han in TFA. The second half of TFA really locked in his arc as basically Vader 2.0 with death-by-redemption.

He can't really come back to the light because he killed one of the main characters of the OT not to mention being a participant of the FO atrocities including the massacre on Jakku and the destruction of Hosnian.

And he not credible as a main villain. Rey beats him in TFA. Rian Johnson does nothing to really build up Supreme Leader Kylo Ren. Instead he gets punked by Luke and Rey escapes in TLJ.

The only way forward him is to go the Anakin/Vader route, which I think is the least imaginative.

4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I do wonder how many versions of this movie they went through and if there were competing cuts at any stage. Not that I expect the alts to be any good, either.

Def Trooper and Deliveranze like this.
  5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    One thing I can think of that might make the movie slightly less awful that it's not too late to do:

Edit out Kylo coming out of the pit and have Anakin's ghost heal Rey instead. Obviously, given what's been filmed, there would be no lines, but she would know who he was. No kiss, Kylo was killed by Palpatine.

Hayden would probably be willing, unless there's negativity towards Lucasfilm on his end.

Iron_lord , KSennia, unicorn and 7 others like this.
  6. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Apparently the movie is already underperforming in Italy, France and Germany- ticket sales have been 20-30% lower than TLJ

7. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    If they wanted "Saving Private Ben" as the overarching motive of the ST, how was it possible that professional writers didn't know that the key to that would be showing said elusive "Ben" onscreen in such a way that the audience wanted him back. Or at the very least why characters who knew him wanted him back. Not one chick who never met him.

It was a complete misfire to not show the vision Rey supposedly had of him. Just as we didn't see the vision Luke had.

This isn't like Empire with Luke's vision of Han and Leia. The audience saw them get tortured onscreen so there was no need to replay that same scene for Luke's vision. People can remember the previous scene. But noone ever saw those mega-important visions in TLJ, not before, during or after.

8. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Opening with a significant drop isn't good. TLJ opened 11% lower than TFA and dropped by 34% in total by the end domestically.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    JJ stated Han is his favorite character. In his two Star Wars films he:

-made han and Leia divorce
    -made han and Leia failed parents
    -made Han and Leia's sole son turn evil
    -have their sole son kill Han
    -killed Leia
    -then finally killed their son

Note to self: never be JJ's favorite.

10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Why does anyone need to be healed? Mace Windu blocked a sustained attack of Force-lightening with his lightsaber too and had no adverse effect until Anakin chopped his hand off. Luke received a sustained attack of Force-lightening and he was still able to carry a cyborg from the throne room to a hangar bay.

11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    We get one scene of "Ben" in TRoS. It's great. Adam is a perfect mix of Harrison and Hayden. He would have been wonderful. He performs everything differently, from body language, movement, expression, even his saber fighting style. They could have sold us Ben Solo from the start and everyone would be fine with him. Instead, they gave us Crylo, and we have to deal with this absolute mess the rest of the time.

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    JJ: "I love how the force is so inclusive and that anyone can be a Jedi. It's not about bloodlines."
    makes Rey Palpatine.

Me
    [​IMG]

then instead of making Finn force sensitive earlier he does it as the Saga ends.
    [​IMG]

13. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Ideally, this wouldn't have to happen.

I just mean given the footage that exists, this is doable if Hayden and/or Daisy are willing to return. If Daisy isn't, they can edit Anakin into the footage of her healing.

It's not going to happen. I just wish it could be fixed somehow.

Iron_lord and Django Fett like this.
  14. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    He must have loved Kirk's and Spock's parents.

15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    There are so many easy fixes, that's the problem. Given budget, time and acting talent available there shouldn't be any need to fix anything. KK has confounded the disaster with TLJ by allowing the same mistakes to be repeated.

16. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    J. J. Abrams: "I'm very interested in the [new] TV series [Star Wars: The Clone Wars]. I was lucky enough to spend some time with George Lucas and we talked a bit about the show. It sounds really interesting in the way that he's approaching the series both from a behind-the-scenes point of view and also the on-screen narrative which sounds really intriguing. I feel like the world of Star Wars has gotten to be so vast, not just in terms of the various mediums that it occupies, but because of the visual possibilities that technology has allowed and Industrial Light & Magic is so remarkably capable at creating. My favorite thing about Star Wars is the ability to tell an incredibly personal, intimate and emotional story against a backdrop of conflict and battle that's planetary and massive. What I would love to see is a story about characters that I am desperately entertained by and definitely care about, and keep that story as focused as possible and make more of that than the pyrotechnics of it all which to me is what makes Star Wars so brilliant. If it's a TV show, that's terrific. If it's animated, I'm all for it. If it's a radio show or a video game or an online experience -- whatever it is -- I would love to discover in this vast universe some new characters that make me feel the way that Luke, Leia and Han Solo did." (October 16, 2008)

J. J. Abrams:
    “It’s funny how in a weird way sometimes by demystifying a character it takes away from some of the fun that you felt about that character. It takes the mystery out of it. Sometimes a character is more interesting when you don’t know everything about them. Even someone from my generation — and I’m ancient compared to so many of the Star Wars fans that are out there — for me the character of Darth Vader was always so compelling because you were putting together all these thing in your head and making all these assumptions that to get to know Anakin as much as we ultimately did, changes the way you consider Darth Vader. It’s crazy to me that my kids relate to Anakin; which to me is criminal because I grew up believing Vader is a bad guy. I related to Luke and Leia and Han Solo. You don’t relate to Vader! I still think it’s wrong to be on Anakin’s side. So I guess there’s no one character I can point to and say that I want to know more about him or her, it’s just that Star Wars is so vast it would be great to find characters that have that level of emotional intimacy.” (October 16, 2008)

:eek:

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I must admit that after they kiss I was hoping that Rey's voice would come out as Palpy's followed by a dirty laugh.

18. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    Two women, pilots, kiss in the background of one shot. That's the big rep they promised. That's it

19. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Rey only "beats" him because he was ordered to bring her back, not hurt her. He had her at the edge of a cliff and could have ended her right there but chose not to and offered to train her. And killing Snoke was enough to build him up to supreme leader and set up a scary lead villian for the next movie. Going the same route as all the other movies was not the only option.

20. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Absorbing TROS and the ST as a whole is a complicated business. This is already a long thread and I'm only just diving back into these boards after my furlough.

..that said,

It could all boil down to this:

They....they kiss?

Yikes.

21. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Its a rotten egg basket all around.

They seemed to have retained some of the very early leaks about a broadcast, but instead of the Resistance broadcasting about Luke Skywalker at Crait the crawl that I've read(which as similar to Ezra Bridger's transmissions) it establishes that Palpatine himself has been advertising his return for a while which leads to Kylo trying to find him and destroy him and it scares the Resistance(which somehow again pull more recruits and new ships out've their buttocks when we see them for the first time).

Later in the film the stupid movie has another broadcast plot contrivance with the Sith Fleet needing some huge tower dish(which acts like the Endor radar dish essentially) that transmits the only navigational means to leave Exegol space despite that Sith Fleet has been sending out attack ships to destroy whole worlds already beforehand.The end battle has Pryde tries bouncing the signal to his capital ship when he realizes the rebels plan of attack(seriously Pryde is worse that Piet in this movie and General Sux is like the weird replacement for the Bothan spies) which naturally also gets attacked cause according to JJ the Force is now so inclusive that anyone can use it like Finn as long as you believe in it. Anyway the whole battle is like ID4 , shut down the single the ships are useless and somehow blow up and crash even. Basically Lucas pulled this before with the Droids in TPM but its a big ID4 ripoff even Poe's speeches and all the piloting against the Star Destroyers which are so easy to even shoot down with fighters in this movie.

Plus the First Order fleet is forgotten about in his movie and we have all of sudden them just using the Sith Fleet of the Final Order.

The new Sith logo is actually of the Sith loyalists.

afrojedi and Def Trooper like this.
  22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  23. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Bwut it'sw swo cwute!

(And a poster for abusive relationships.)

24. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    From the studio that brought you Joe Russo saying 'he' once comes another groundbreaking leap forward in representation.

25. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Kylo Ren gets romantically rewarded before his death after all of his interactions with Rey:

Kidnap/torture

Fighting her after killing her friend and his father

Trying to manipulate her through Force skype

Actually manipulating her through Force skype

Killing Snoke so that he can rule

Vows to kill her after she refuses to join him

Tries to kill her on Palpatine's orders

Uses her friends as bait

She finds out he lied about her parents

He again tries to kill her, she cries after stabbing him and goes into exile. I get feeling a little bad if he was mourning his mother, but does that warrant saving him afterwards? I don't rememeber Rey crying before, not after Han or Luke (not surprising) died or Finn was maimed.
    Kylo should be seen by her as worse than the average First Order associate given how he's played with her emotions and spat them in her face, but nope.

When he finally rejects his former evil and helps, she kisses him. I get feeling slightly less antagonistic towards him, maybe even a little grateful for helping, but a romantic kiss is nowhere in that ballpark.

What was there before to warrant that kiss, even if he changed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.