main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rey is 19-20 years old which means Palpatine had a kid when he was scarred as her dad was no older than 30-35. Which would place his birth during the OT films.

I don't buy that General Pryde was in Palpatine's service since the Clone Wars either, that would some 57 or more years into the past.

2. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I take my son to the opening and usually take the rest of my family in the first week. With the leaks, I told my husband he could take the older kids and I would take my youngest to Cats. After hearing the details, my husband won't be taking anyone because he said it sounds awful.

3. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Why do things need to be explained i don’t k ow maybe because when you do something that is completely ridiculous and unbelievable on terms of what we know for for the universe it should be explained.

For example the Emperor’s Body Survived what looked like him being incinerated okay.... followed by blown up.... okay and then recovered from the wreckage of DS2. There’s convenience and then there’s i want to do this and can’t give a good reason so please just go with it. Palpatine survival is the latter.

for fictional universe to work there needs to be rules consequences and stakes when any writer can come in and change everything and anything they want who cares nothing matter anything can happen the universe becomes a joke now that may be entertaining like say the Fast and the Furious and even provide you with some longevity to a franchise it doesn’t build a long term franchise that will resonate and be profitable long term. I can’t see FF going on past their current characters. The negative reactions seem just fine to me with regards to people that value story over spectacle.

Whether you like the MCU or not the universe has rules consistency and explains elements they add within context of the universe and is a juggernaut now. Star Wars is declining in terms of merch and fan engagement overall. That’s because there are no stakes anymore as other have said here Vader turned to the Darkside to get the powers of resurrection now it’s just here in IX wtf. That’s awful storytelling despite of it works for you or not.

The ST has done one thing for all fans of Star Wars though in that it’s saved us all loads of money. No longer do we need to follow and get everything since the trans media idea is now officially a failure thanks to TROS retconning Poe. There are some savings and with The Mandalorian on TV doing well and the Resistance just not resonating and being irrelevant largely fans will now oic and choose what to engage with liking what they like and ignoring the rest. The Ironic thing is that is essentially what many Marvel fans do the difference is most people see the MCU films eventually if it’s not on theatres it’s on home video or streaming because of those big events and they want to know what happened to get there. Star Wars has nothing like that.

Because of the way the ST has been handled Disney has affectively reduced the profitability of the brand as a whole and that just shows you how badly they have handled the property.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Welcome back. Just that fast, you seem to have forgotten that this is not the thread for this type of post. Perhaps this will jar your memory...

[​IMG]

5. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    The critics screaming about “fanbrats” (tm David Edelstein of New York) is getting out of hand. TLJ seems to be Citizen Kane the way some of them go on about it. I’m also sick to death of them saying SW is a kids’ movie when it specifically is not.

Has anyone seen any fans happy she’s Rey Palpatine? I know I haven’t. That’s one of the unifying criticisms of the film!

6. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    Open letter to George Lucas,

Dear George,

Thank you for providing complete and total closure in ROTJ to your wonderful saga. Because of the way you handled things in the early 80s, we don’t have to accept any of the hacks that have taken place over the course of Disney’s woefully lacking attempts to expand on what you both created and finished. Thank you for giving us a backstory to the saga in Episodes 1-3. Even though it wasn’t always what the fans wanted, it was the Trilogy we needed and now we have an epic 1-6 saga. Thank you for keeping a long enough leash on the expanded universe and Clone Wars saga that we have enough of them to counter Disney’s terrible interpretations, but also a short enough leash on them that they did not violate your vision for the franchise. No matter what Disney does, we will always have enough of what you did in order to fully disregard their content.

7. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Rey was born in 15 ABY. If we assume her father was 30-35 around the time of her birth, then Palpatine had his son born sometime around 20BBY-15BBY, when Sheev was 64-69.

8. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    By kids they must mean ages 12 and up,lol.

PendragonM and Zikri like this.
  9. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Successive viewings have made me enjoy TPM more and more. I actually quite like it nowadays.

10. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Old man Sheev was clapping cheeks! What would George think?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    It hasn’t helped me there are a lot of just dull boring parts of the film IMO i do appreciate the story but i definitely don’t like the film.

12. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Hey, fair enough. I think TPM has basically everything a Star Wars movie should have - interesting characters, awesome lightsaber battles, some fun action, ship battles, a bit of politics, some cool looking locations, new technology, etc. But I freely admit my view is somewhat unconventional.

I also like the concept of it - it's like the golden age of society. A glimpse of the 'good times' before it began the descent into an awful dystopia.

13. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    ROTS was 19 years before the Battle of Yavin, he was already scarred and disfigured from Mace's attack.

14. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    So uh....is Ashoka dead then? I mean I know it's 3 decades after Rebels and there's an untold story to be told about finding Ezra but given that her voice is heard as one of the past Jedi, does that mean she died prior to the ST or at least this movie? While I guess it was nice for one of the movies to acknowledge her existence, I'd have preferred to not have her voice present, if only to keep some mystery about her fate.

cwustudent and Zikri like this.
  15. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Oh the story is there i firmly believe that Lucas had to many yes men and if someone had helped him with ten script pacing and dialogue a lot of what he had while making the OT the movie would be a masterpiece. That being said i understand why someone can enjoy the film because it has all of the pieces of an amazing story out to film but botched the execution while the ST has all of the execution and none of pieces to make a great story

16. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Ezra was weirdly absent and he had more of an impact against the Sith(Palpatine himself ) than Kanan , Adi, Secura and Luminara

Gerak and Zikri like this.
  17. Darth Wardawg

Darth Wardawg Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2018
    You mean none of us wants to go to a Star Wars film to watch a meta-narrative about how silly the hero is and how we should just let it all burn? Who'd have thunk it right?

The sad thing is, KK allowed this mess. I figured this would be like a rap battle. JJ did the first film, then Rian came in and ignored it and just did his art-house meta critic of the fans and the franchise. Then JJ comes back and ignores Rian. WHAT. A. MESS.

If there was any doubt now, there is none in my head any longer. Rian will not be getting another film, much less a trilogy. No. Bloody. Way. And while I am watching The Mandalorian, I will not be giving the Mouse anymore of my cash until they stop disrespecting the fanbase. Publicly announce Rian is out and I'll consider coming back. And I'm not telling anyone what to do with their cash. I'm just saying there is no way I'm giving these people any of my hard earned cash after what they've done to something that means so much to me.

18. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I like TPM quite a bit. It could have done with some more of Lucas' "faster, more intense" mantra and I'd have liked Anakin to be maybe 3 or 4 years older than he was but it's a fun movie. It does kinda grind to a halt when they get to Coruscant and have to deal with the political stuff but given the importance of Palpatine's political machinations across the trilogy, it had to be there. Was there a better way to do it? I don't know but it's worth it for that one moment where Palpatine drop's the facade and says "I will be Chancellor..." giving a little hint of what's to come.

I don't think the ST needed a lot of politics but I think that rather than portraying the New Republic as a failed endeavour, it should have been established that the NR had 30 years of peace with no First Order, no Imperial remnants hanging around, no Palpatine. The victory of the rebellion should have ushered in a new era of peace and prosperity with the new threat for the sequels being a force out to destroy everything they've built. The rebels won the hearts and minds of the galaxy, convinced them to rise up against the Empire and built a Republic that learned from the mistakes of the past - now they have to defend it. Simple but effective. Instead we got a New Republic that's basically corrupt and inept and rather than a Jedi Order built on Luke's more nuanced approach than the Jedi of old's stubbornness and arrogance, we got a Jedi Order that was destroyed before it ever really got going, all for the sake of rehashing A New Hope and everything stemmed from there.

Darth Raiden, PendragonM and Zikri like this.
  19. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe he is still alive

Gerak and Zikri like this.
  20. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    TROS isn't quite the tire fire it's being portrayed as, but it has some deeply fundamental issues (particularly with Reylo). I have no doubt that word of mouth will be better on this film than Last Jedi, but how much better is an open question.

Until I write a new essay on it, I did this postmortem discussion (about an hour) discussing what worked and didn't work for me (and a special guest).

Hope you enjoy.

2Cleva likes this.
  21. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Yeah, he’s still alive with Cal Kestis, both having created their own Jedi Order in secret, with blackjack... and hookers!

22. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    This movie seemed designed to make you feel nostalgia, basically attempt to trick the audience subconsciously into thinking this was it, this was Star Wars you been waiting for since its a rehash of ROTJ with a few elements stolen from ROTS and even Darth Maul-like tease with Kylo's helmet and Dark Rey's double-bladed lightsaber- when this movie was a pile of nonsensical hollowed out piece of poodoo. SOLO was a better Star Wars movie .

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So Jedis can now teleport items across the galaxy?

ImpKnight and jimtalkbox like this.
  24. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    And Baby Yoda

vncredleader, Zikri and Vorax like this.
  25. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    May as well toss in Cere and Merrin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.