main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is the point where you just have to stop and let things be.

That's because sarcasm is hate speech.

TheDutchman likes this.
  2. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    If they wanted folks to invest in Kylo and Ben as being different people they should have made the difference more discernible, like with Steven and Stephan in Family Matters.

3. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I think the writing was on the wall but the problem is people couldn’t feel the emotional weight of his redemption. We’re just not given a lot of details about Ben before he turned. We don’t know if he was a kind hearted soul who volunteered at an orphanage over the weekends or a spoiled brat who beat animals with a stick. We needed some context to that and even Rey does as well. She doesn’t know who Ben was. Maybe the way he acted as Kylo was the way he’s been his whole life. Because it’s been left open it’s just left to personal head canon as to who he was. People either have him positive head canon, negative or just left it blank because the writers did. Even a small line could help. When Obi Wan talks about Anakin in ANH you could feel both the friendship, love and regret.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah. The elephant in the room is that, without Lucas being the lone voice that declared what was canon, there should not be a lone voice declaring what is not canon. So there are a lot of voices declaring what is not canon in separate idioms. And that is the best outcome of this bad outcome. I can understand someone wanting to confer Continuity upon Disney's offering, just to maintain suspension of disbelief, and maintain investment in that set of stories. I don't know if Lucas Era Expanded Universe had many continuities. Dark Empire and Heir to the Empire would be different continuities. Maybe in the spirit of democracy anything that succeeds in hitting the benchmark of a self-contained trilogy merits that nomenclature. I certainly don't know Lucas Era Expanded Universe to know if there are any strings of novels that are all self-consistent with enough content to be a longer continuity than what Disney is putting out now in is multi-media blitzkrieg.

QuangoFett and DominusNovus like this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Equipped with the machine to turn him into either at will.

6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Perhaps the saddest part of TROS is how utterly mundane John Williams scoring is. I've no doubt he tried his best to find moments excitement, terror, longing, wonderment and every other fantastic sensation we love about Star Wars. But there is nothing to be found.

The leitmotifs are almost always abbreviated to fit into cramped scenes. There is barely any sense of acceleration or buildup. One of the most bizarre choices I saw was when he inserted the credits fanfare into Lando's big return with the Rebel fleet. As far as I can recall, he has never used that score within the films' scenes, and I can't help but suspect that Abrams instructed him to do so, which of course would be pathetically arrogant.

The sad part is that I think there is a lot of visually interesting stuff going on. The production designers did a fantastic job - the best of the ST imo - and yet Abrams' impatient disinterest with sociology, history and politics in the GFFA means that it feels eviscerated of the soul that animated Lucas' world building. Every scene feels chopped up and reassembled like Mr Potato Head on crack. TROS has 5 new worlds populated with interesting creations, but not a single memorable track to bring them to life. What a disappointing foot note to the failed ST.

7. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    Kinda gives a whole new angle to “all the sith will live in you!” don’t it?

Glitterstimm likes this.
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    TROS should be considered the mirror counterpart to TLJ; where TLJ is the overly pretentious, pseudo-deep thought movie that doesn’t want you to stray from the arguments it wants you to see instead, and relies on disappointment as it’s main dramatic weapon, TROS is a pure noisy blockbuster, full of sound and fury signifying very little, with no pretense of being about deep thought. TLJ wants to be a subversive analysis and sarcastic commentary on the OT by the hipster film student who’s maybe a little too far into his wine to hear himself talking; TROS wants to be the coked-out frat boy yelling about the OT and his fanticion idea.

...and yet both are horrible sequels to TFA when it comes to the characters, and neither does well as an epilogue or sequel to the OT.

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    So Kristin Stewart as Ripley 2020 huh?

Hopefully they learn some lessons from ROS and don't make her super over powered.

Def Trooper and kalzeth like this.
  10. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    [​IMG]

I Think Lucas had an idea there with Darth Talon being the one to seduce Ben Solo. If you're Palpatine and you want to seduce a young man to the dark side why would you create Snoke?

11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Kylo just did it all for the nookie.

12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the biggest substantial element in arguing that he could have died still evil was him killing Han in TFA: you have an exact reversal of ROTJ’s redemption for Vader played out in Kylo’s first film, and in a way that kind of cuts out the character elements needed for him to rationally follow Vader’s path to redemption. Kylo doesn’t just reject a familial appeal in a cold-hearted manner, ignoring his own conscience and feelings of love, but wants to... and is still extremely spiteful and contemptuous of everyone else. It’s an act that feels like we’re either setting the character up to be a new Palpatine as he slowly drives himself into further damnation for power... or that he’s a fundamentally irrational and mad character.

The latter wound up being what they went with, but it’s pianfully unexplored, treated like flipping a switch for ultimately a puny payoff, and it’s actually harmed by how Rian Johnson wrote Kylo as a seemingly rational - and just ugly at his soul - pseudo-Byronic Hero. So when Abrams came back, he immediately tries to insert a madness element again, and had to deliberately undo the Han killing in an almost literal fashion... because otherwise, it had no prayer in hell of making sense for anyone.

It also doesn’t help that a lot of his character was constructed as an inversion of Anakin... except for his fate, which is so painfully conventional and predictable it kind of kills off any story payoff. Driver either sells it to you himself, or that cake never bakes.

13. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Maybe she’ll fall in love with one of the aliens and wishes she could be one too. Oh what tragic romance.

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Although this one is under water. Literally called, you guessed it...Underwater. Maybe she'll hook up with a sea slug or something.

15. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    At least the audience would have understood his motivation for going dark right away.

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    He's only human.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Calm down Padme :p

18. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    My grandpa wanted to watch TFA on Disney+ because we were flipping around looking for a Christmas movie and he thought it looked neat.

Nothing like being reminded of Kylo petulantly telling Lor San Tekka "I'll show you the power of the Dark Side!" like a five-year-old, then ordering his men to slaughter innocent villagers! Really gets your heart a-flutterin' and makes ya swoon, eh Rey?

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Real question what did your grandfather think of it?

Miriedis likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Honestly Snake being a woman, as was an early idea apparently, might have been at least a little bit interesting. Especially since we STILL haven't gotten any proper Dark Side women in these films yet.

KSennia, ImpKnight, astinus4 and 2 others like this.
  21. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think they tried that; Driver’s body language shifts entirely, and they definitely try to have him act as Han’s son would.

The issue is that a) they’ve already heavily, heavily blurred the line between Ben and Kylo through the other two films before this happens and in the way Rey treats him even as Kylo, and b) there’s so little time given to the Ben characterization and so little “natural” substance to him that doesn’t seem contrived for artificial reasons, it’s hard to take the character seriously on any kind of deep dive.

I mean, on a purely aesthetic and surface level, the decision they made to start featuring Driver’s face so much after TFA makes it harder to divorce the the visuals of Ben from Kylo, particularly since Driver is going for such a restrained performance as both personas, so the substance of Kylo’s actions have more power than the hints at emotional turmoil he conveys, and being mostly just a Force battery for first Palpatine and then Rey makes Ben feel more like a walking video game powerup than any thing else.

The fact that the Ben Solo character is so briefly shown, and that they keep ignoring the actual nature of the Kylo Ren identity because they think its an attractive romantic male lead is arguably worse; it makes both personas shallow.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also his turn happens WAY too fast.

23. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    We're only about 20 minutes in.
    He isn't saying much but I just asked. He pointed at the critter that guy was riding when he tried to take BB8 in the desert and wondered what they did to it because he thinks they covered an actual camel in junk and made it run around the desert. He thought the rising bread was neat and thinks Rey's red junker vehicle was crap.

He's in his 80s and was never a giant Star Wars fan. He's an old country soul that likes his Westerns and only watches Star Wars if theyre on TV and he can't find a Western. I'm not going to press him about anything deeper than that.

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think that in both these instances, Abrams just wanted to upstage ANH, to make TFA more graphic, shocking and mean than OT Star Wars. Kylo's icing San Tekka is an elaboration of Vader's choking Cpt Antilles, but it feels even nastier because we just saw how kind and fatherly he is. Then all the screaming villagers get thrown in for good measure, even more innocent than the Tantive IV's uniformed security. Then on SKB, he has Kylo kill a defenseless, pleading Han, in contrast to the more honorable contest between Vader and Obi-wan. In both cases, I think Kylo's more intense villainy is not actually calculated to be more, less or equally evil to Vader, but just more viscerally extreme.

This desire to make a surprisingly intense SW experience came back to haunt him in TROS, when he needed to resolve the character's arc after TLJ's Reylo all-in. I think that Abrams genuinely thought he was leaving the Kylo story wide open after TFA - he was trying to leave everything open - but became a prisoner to his own extremes.

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    If he likes Westerns, he would love The Mandalorian. If you want to introduce him to SW through a vehicle he might appreciate more. I'm doing the same with my dad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.