main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    The impression I get from Lucas is that he wanted an irony with Sith and the Jedi. The Jedi are not concerned about immortality, willingly to accept becoming one with the Force when their time comes. They only become immortal spirits because of their willingness to help others in their time of need. The Sith, on the other hand, are selfish and fear death because becoming one with the Force means losing their identity to it. They seek everything to keep themselves alive to prevent that fateful day from happening.

Thus the key to immortality is accepting death, which is something that immorality seekers cannot accept. It's the standard message in fantasy stories, such as Harry Potter. The Master of Death is to conquer one's fear of death, not death itself. Voldemort tried to cheat death but ends up in a fate far worse than death.

2. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Actually it's pretty much implied in lines cut from ROTS between Yoda/Qui-Gon that the Sith can't become force ghosts:

The ROTS novelization is even less subtle and outright says it's beyond the Sith:

So I think Lucas clearly knew there were never going to be Sith Ghosts since ~2005.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    KSennia, wobbits, ImpKnight and 8 others like this.
  3. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    @Gharlane that's my chief problem with Palpatine being back in TROS - it cuts against all those themes of the Jedi/Sith that have been there since the OT really.

4. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    The missed opportunity with Palpatine being back from the dead in TROS that would resolve this problem is if the process of bringing him back didn't bring the Palpatine we knew from the PT and OT but rather a new kind of malevolent spirit that is a mishmash of all the violent memories and emotions of the Sith Lords long gone, like illusion of Darth Bane. It only seems to be Palpatine because his personality is closest to being pure evil.

5. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    You're making this too difficult. The ST is fan fiction. It's so far removed from the 6 films prior that it's significantly more easy to divorce yourself as a fan from the ST as canon. The story makes no sense. Characters abandon behavior patterns and any sense of characterization built up over hours of film at the whims of pens. Things in these 3 Disney films just happen. over and over until other things happen but none of it gets earned nor does it fit the larger puzzle. especially after TROS. it's not canon. Obi Wan will be right after Order 66. Before OT. There will be no First Order nonsense. Look how little nonsense weve gotten from Mando.

6. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    What if they had made "Kylo Ren" the grandson of Palpatine, and Rey was the daughter of Han and Leia?

Story plays out the same way.

Now a Palpatine comes back to the light and sacrifices themselves so the Skywalkers can live on.

Does that work better than the way TROS did it?

KSennia, wobbits, PendragonM and 11 others like this.
  7. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Pretty much anything works better than the way they did it.

KSennia, ImpKnight, wobbits and 23 others like this.
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Just got back from seeing TROS tonight. Some of my major criticisms follow:

-Palpatine is back from the dead. I almost never like when characters are brought back from the dead. I'll sum this point up with my mother's reaction as we drove home from the theater: "Since all these characters keep coming back from the dead, it's almost as if dying doesn't mean anything any more." Yep, in that way, my mother knows best.

-Palpatine being back from the dead really needed some kind of explanation that was never forthcoming. That was a plot point that should never have been relegated to the opening crawl.

-The "I made Snoke" bit just reinforced how much of a time waster Snoke was as a supposed Big Bad for the first two films.

-The Sith Dagger kind of looked like it belonged on a cheap Halloween costume. I think Disney's budget should've allowed for a cooler looking Sith Dagger.

-All the Sith Dagger and Wayfinder lore just felt thrown in and it was hard to care about their significance since they hadn't been introduced until part three of the ST and part nine of the overall saga.

- The Force Dyad nonsense just made me roll my eyes very hard. I never really like soulmate stuff especially packaged in cheesy mythology introduced at the eleventh hour in a saga.

-The mystery of Rey's backstory just felt dragged out throughout the entire ST and as if each film was just trying to contradict whatever the last film had established. It was hard for me to muster the energy to even care about the Rey Palpatine reveal.

-The overall pace felt rushed and as if it was flying from world to world and plot point to plot point a bit too fast. Perhaps a sign that too much was being crammed into this final film of the saga and the ST. This narrative needed more space to breathe (perhaps by spreading more of its narrative over the previous two films...)

-The Force really overpowered people in this film. Force lightning can be summoned without training or real intent (Rey), can electrify an entire fleet in space from the ground (Palpatine), and can bring people back from the dead. None of that feels really coherent with how the Force was treated in the OT or the PT.

-The Rey/Kylo kiss was disgusting and felt forced and totally unnecessary to me. Bleh.

-The ending at the Lars homestead felt unearned to me and as if it were trying too hard to be mythical and meaningful. I think the stronger ending would've just been the celebration where all the new characters are together rather than Rey going to a place she has less connection to than Star Wars fans and telling a random passerby (which really how many passerby are there in the middle of a Tatooine desert) that she is Rey Skywalker. Just felt really forced and corny to me.

-Some of the dialogue, especially from Rey and Palpatine, felt really campy throughout the movie, but especially at the end. At times, the dialogue sounds more like a parody of Star Wars than an actual Star Wars film.

Overall, I thought the film was dragged down by a lack of coherency with the saga as a whole and the ST, a lack of backstory with Palpatine's return, a lack of backstory regarding the Sith artifacts we were meant to care about, a too hectic pace, Force superpowers inconsistent with the saga as a whole, the Rey/Kylo kiss, and the unearned Lars farm ending.

9. Darth Hater

Darth Hater Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2016
    Well, it looked cool in a comic book, so...

Empire 2.0. Under new management!

Sheeve's body survives being thrown down a Bottomless Pit, during which it bursts into flames, and then the ship it is on explodes. Then the debris from said explosion survives reentry into a planet's atmosphere where it is then recovered? Seriously? What's next? Luke's lightsaber from Bespin is going to survive reentry onto Tatooine or Jakuu or wherever? Wow. Just wow. It's easier to believe Santa Claus can overcome physics (https://sucs.org/~cmckenna/humour/xmas/santa/dead.html) than this.

Rey's lineage isn't a problem for me. With Palpatine being a dictator all things are possible; the easiest to explain is money.

10. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Actually seeing Dark Rey made me think that Rey would have been better as the villain and Ben Solo as the protagonist.

11. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    Challenge accepted: Rey falls for Kylo at the end of TFA.

12. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    On the first point, much of the search for the crap reminded me tonally and visually of the Mummy films - the Brendan Fraser ones.

On the second point, unearned is saying it lightly. What they were really doing in that scene was holding a funeral for George Lucas era Star Wars.

13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Miles Lodson I agree with your comparison to the Brendan Fraser Mummy films and that the Lars farm ending was in a sense holding a funeral for the George Lucas era Star Wars.

I also forgot to include in my initial post, but the Final Order felt overall pretty pointless to me since the First Order already had a fleet (just seemed like a plot contrivance so Palpatine would have relevance and some reason to have "power" over Kylo).

14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    That actually would have been better, imo. If they went straight for the Nazi love affair, I wouldn't have wasted my time and energy hoping for a decent finale and I wouldn't be stuck with a Rey tattoo I'm now ashamed of.

15. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Seems on par with how Abrams likes to just make everything bigger. Bigger Death Star. Stronger Force powers. More ships. Even more ships. Even MORE ships.

jediela83, PendragonM, Merrin and 6 others like this.
  16. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I actually think Abrams is a pretty good director..... but we need someone else to write the story.

17. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Would Abrams do that? I mean all his movies seem very similar, just with different locations and characters.

PendragonM likes this.
  18. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Precisely why I didn't see ROS, I see anything too damaging, I'll never be able to UNSEE it.

But yes, fanfiction, pure and simple. Fanfiction that is paid for and produced into a movie, but all the same.

As I've said, this "Trilogy" was catering to people who thought they knew better than those who came before them and broke away from rules and traditions that kept the saga running for over 30 years.

The hate for the Rise of 'Skywalker' (See: Palpatine) is well-deserved karma.

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    You're right, it does fit the pattern. Unfortunately, it is a pattern of trying to up the ante that ends up weakening the films for me. Sometimes less is more as the old saying goes.

PendragonM, Jedi Ben and kalzeth like this.
  20. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Yes it's better.

AhsokaSolo and Miles Lodson like this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m imagining an awkward future conversation when after my son see’s Return of the Jedi for the first time and he asks, “so the Emperor is really dead?”

22. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    No one is ever really gone..

23. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Sometimes it's okay to lie to children.

24. Darth Hater

Darth Hater Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2016
    Noon Christmas eve showing in a smaller town. Theater had assigned seating, I got about the second to last ticket. Most notable event, though, was that the audience was almost completely quiet until some scattered applause at the end.
    Except in this case both parents are abusing the kids.

The Chewie angle of that relationship is something that was never even slightly realized.

Ished. Finn Ished.

25. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Or clarify, like I do with my 9 year old during most of the Poe-Holdo scenes. :)

ami-padme, AgentCoop and kalzeth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.