main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Unless they talk about the badly edited ending, I don't think you'll get an answer. Even then, the blame will be passed around.

Although, I do suspect something was changed in reshoots- I doubt it was the presence of the kiss, even if they did reshoot it to better fit a new ending- the scenes are sloppy and don't build emotional weight.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    that's awful then.

3. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Wowwww. Catching up and just...wow. I mean, I'm not surprised because I've caught it on a micro level but this is really disturbing.

4. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    John went rogue today and I think that's beautiful.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how much was changed in reshoots. JJ did say they didn't do that many reshoots this time around. But the movie's editing is choppy and it suffers from a lack of being able to breathe properly. After Ben dies, Rey doesn't seem to care at all. I mean, I think it's funny, but LOL.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  5. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I would configure this as the actor standing up with integrity against a monolithic power that kidnaps nostalgia and annihilates a system of fairy tale optimism which has governed millions of childhoods for over a thousand two generations. Boyega is walking the talk of his character.

6. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005
    There also the irony of the fact that while this played as a joke, Finn was actually right. That's exactly how the Force works. See Qui-Gon Jinn...

Shadao, kalzeth, ThisIsTheWay and 4 others like this.
  7. Lightstrike

Lightstrike Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2019
    Imagine being told that you’re going to be a main character in the sequel trilogy for Star Wars. Then you end up being the irrelevant goofy sidekick. I’m not surprised Boyega blew up.

KSennia, MGM, Darth Hater and 27 others like this.
  8. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I wish Reylo was just a harmless personal thing that people do in fan fiction, I really don't mind that at all, but I've never seen shippers take over an established fandom on this scale before. All I can think of is HP, and at least with that I can get the angst of being young in school and having crushes, the series has generally more innocent subject matter, so it at least makes more sense there.

But this...I don't know how this happened, aside from KK and RJ courting the idea of Reylo with all the focus on Kylo Ren.

9. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Now the tweets are turning some are saying now they hate all the movies and all the actors involved. This is how the last movie in a 9 episode saga ends. Crazy.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    OKAY, REAL QUICK: EVERYONE PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU PERUSE WHATEVER SCREENCAPS OF TWEETS YOU POST FOR KANGUAGE AND SUCH, M’KAY?
    Isaac got to watch as his character got totally repackaged two more times after TFA. He started as a mature, charismatic authority figure and action hero hybrid, then was reformatted into a totally cliché hot shot pilot type who had to learn a lesson on maturity after acting like an idiot in a rather prosaic and sloppy morality tale, then finally became just Diet Han Solo for the last film.

His characterization is one of the many factors in arguing that the three films just don’t fit together as a single story or collection of arcs.
    A combination lies at the heart of the Luke and Rey situation in TLJ; not only was Johnson just being sloppy with Rey’s characterization in General while misinterpreting her as an “Ingenue” type character, but he also wrote her interactions with Luke where she was being used to tell his story, instead of him being used to tell hers. It’s like a reverse of the ESB Yoda and Luke scenes, where Luke was botht he focus and written well.

TFA was probably the closest to pulling off the passing of the torch well, since Han was used to sell all three of the new characters in some way... though in hindsight, the only one of the three who’s story was complete enough in TFS he wasn’t 100% dependent on the next films clarifying his arc and story was Finn. And Finn was basically shoved to the side afterwards and utterly wasted, while Rey and Kylo were written schizophrenically and weakly for the next two films, which damages they intros they had in TFA.
    Well, not only would I argue this is a misreading of the situation because:
    ...so it’s not like criticism of you own films is a death mark on your career...

...But I’d argue that Boyega’s criticism of elements of TLJ and TROS could never be as deflating to his career as those two films wasting his good work in TFA and ignoring that the character he was playing was full of potential that he could totally exploit... and then watching as they also finally and officially demoted him from male lead in favor of a character who, it would seem, he also recognizes never got as developed as Finn was, and seemingly for a relationship that was just *bad* all around.

Boyega probably has the most clear cut and indisputable reasons to be dissatisfied with the ST from a career standpoint... unless Ridley or Driver ever were to cut loose and reveal a deep, abiding disgust with Reylo.

11. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    Sure, but... money... plenty of actors take crap jobs knowingly for a paycheck, they usually just wait a bit until their bottomline isn't affected. Like after the movie finishes it's theatrical run. I assume JB has something in his contract for a percentage of the profits. If he's apparently trashing TRoS not even two weeks after it's out...

I don't even necessarily blame him, but I do like money. You can see my conflict, lol

kalzeth and ImpKnight like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you've answered your own question. They courted this, fanned the flames and are now surprised that they have a conflagration.

13. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    The problem is they wanted to have reylo but not commit to reylo. They wanted it to happen but they knew it could never happen, so they let Rey kiss him but killed him afterwards because he was the villain and could not live happily ever after. You know what that does? It just angers everyone from ALL sides. Reylos can't be happy because Ben is dead and people against reylo have to deal with the fact they made Rey kiss the man who stalked and harassed her for 3 movies. It leads to the mess that has become today's fandom.

KSennia, MGM, QuangoFett and 18 others like this.
  14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    I'm glad to see principle take precedence over money. JB will be just fine.

15. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Basically from what I understand from JJ's recent comments about TFA. He left the potential nature of Rey and Kylo's relationship open after TFA, then Rian came in and decided the star crossed soulmates idea was the most interesting to him, this was before TFA was even out I believe. Then once TLJ came out shippers were validated increasing the popularity of the ship.

As for TROS, the redemption was clearly always there, but the kiss I dunno. Could've been a reshoot, could've been the most secretive scene by JJ since no early leaks mentioned it.

Shadao, Def Trooper and moonjump05 like this.
  16. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    ...I've been saying this since TFA...

They wasted Finn from the first five minutes when they decided to just have him forget his Stormtrooper past and become some goofy sidekick.

See the man, the legend, in my avatar? My favorite character in Star Wars? The one who had the proper desertion from the army arc? Yeah, that's how you do your characters right.

17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  18. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005
    It wasn't really clear that the character Rey cared nothing for Finn in TLJ. She actually gave Chweie a message for him and they ran to embrace each other at the end of that film.

What was really clear was that RJ and/or LFL cared nothing for the relationship that JJ set up between the two of them in TFA. Hence deliberately separating them for an entire film and sticking Finn with Rose while introducing a weird, problematic relationship between Kylo and Rey.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The best way to describe the ST is for people who have vague memories of enjoying the OT at 11 years old, grew out of SW, and came back 30 something years later to remember those feelings.

20. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Is anyone else picturing JB hitting "ignore" on frantic calls from Disney execs?
    I love this so much.

21. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    With Mark Hamill in the corner, nodding in approval.

22. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Omg you know MH sent him a text of support lol

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  23. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    Yeah, JJ did no favors to Finn. He's the one that brushed off any interesting stuff with him (the stormtrooper past, the force sensitivity) and separated Rey and Finn at the end of TFA. Then, after RJ tried to give Finn his own arc and supporting cast... just brought Finn back to goofy sidekick role, this time with more mystery boxes. Hell, JJ doesn't care anything about Rey and Finn's friendship in TRoS- having the majority of their interactions be Finn shouting after Rey while she ignores him or him not being able to tell her he is force sensitive (why the hell would she need to be told this? Have other powerful force wielders needed to be told someone else they were close to and not hiding that they were FS???) Then JJ sidelines Rose in such an awful way...

Merrin, Jedi_Fenrir767 and Shadao like this.
  24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    At least Stanakins are not this problematic
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    That'd be great!

Thread Status: