main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I Meant to Do That [MOD's Time Challenge]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    This story is for the MOD’s Time Challenge. I am doing the 24 hour challenge. My fic must include the following:

1. Your TV trope is: I Meant to Do That
    2. Your random word is: Sequacious - def: lacking original thought.
    3. Your image is:
    [​IMG]

Mirax Horn looked down at her chrono for the tenth time in the last five minutes as she waited for her husband and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker to finish their insipid game of one-upmanship. Their current challenge was to see who can successfully deflect the most consecutive blasterbolts from a Marksman-H training remote. If the Jedi was good enough, he or she could make it through the programed training session without getting struck by the nonlethal strikes. Since her husband Corran and Luke were both excellent swordsmen, they placed the practice interval to ‘indefinite’. Corran went first and after two hours he managed to deflect five-hundred-and-sixty-seven bolts until one slightly singed the edge of his Jedi robes as they billowed out away from his body. Now it was Luke’s turn.

“That is sixty-seven,” Corran called out to his friend. “Only five hundred more to go Luke.”

Mirax blew out a frustrated breath. Corran told her to meet him at noon at the outdoor sparing platform and they could go out to the waterfall for lunch and swimming. “Corran, you don’t need to count for him. The remote keeps track, doesn’t it?”

Her husband gave her a sidelong glance. “And let him cheat?”

“He’s your Master, he won’t cheat.”

A wide smile crossed his bearded face. “He might not cheat, but if I’m not here I won’t have the pleasure of rubbing my victory in his face when he makes a mistake and I win.”

Mirax threw her head back and groaned in frustration before she walked over to a nearby boulder, sat down and made herself comfortable for the long wait.

After about a half hour she startled when somebody came up beside her. She looked over and smiled at the slim, redheaded woman standing next to her.

“Hi, Mara. I’m surprised to see you here.”

Mara Jade was a Master Trader who worked at Talon Karrde’s smuggling/trading organization. The Karrde Corporation had the contract to deliver supplies to the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV and Mara was the person most often assigned as pilot for those deliveries.

“I had a question to ask Luke about next month’s shipment.” Mara raised a hand to shield her eyes from the sun. “I thought it would be easier talking to him in person than by transceiver.”

“That makes sense,” Mirax said drolly, knowing full well that something had been brewing between the Jedi Master and Master Trader for months. Not that either one would admit it. Mara was too proud and obstinate to confess she had any tender feelings for a man that she once considered her enemy…and Luke. Well, Luke was a different story. The man was a fearless leader of warriors, but when it came to women and romance, he transforms into an awkward and sequacious introvert. The only way those two would get together was if Mara made the first move…or the Force intervened and played matchmaker.

“What’s going on?” Mara asked.

Mirax blew out a frustrated breath. “I was supposed to go on a romantic picnic with my husband followed by a swim, but those two are trying to prove which one is the best Jedi. I’m surprised they haven’t lowered themselves to measuring each other’s lightsabers for bragging rights.”

Mara covered her mouth with her hand trying to muffle her laugh. “Why aren’t they sparing each other?”

Mirax shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess they thought it would be more difficult to fight against a remote.”

“Only four hundred-fifty-two more strikes and you win Luke,” Corran called out in the distance.

Mirax closed her eyes and shook her head. “This is going to take forever.” She grinned as an idea came to her. She turned to Mara. “Why don’t we go swimming and leave the boys to their games.”

Mara looked down at her flight suit. “I don’t have a swimming outfit.”

Mirax stood as she picked up her picnic basket and backpack. “The waterfalls are in a remote area. There is no need for a suit.” Before Mara could say anything, she called out to her husband. “Corran! Mara and I are going to the waterfall. Give us a heads up before you join us because we are going to be skinning dipping.”

Luke’s head jerked toward Mirax’s voice. His lightsaber flew out of his hand, sheered the targeting remote in half, before it deactivated and landed a meter from Corran’s feet. Both Jedi looked at the weapon in shock.

Luke glanced over to the two women sheepishly. “I meant to do that.”

Mara raised an eyebrow. “You meant to destroy a five-hundred credit training remote?”

Luke chuckled as he ran a hand nervously through his hair. “You got me. It somehow slipped from my fingers. Corran won.”

The bearded Jedi gave a victory shout before he ran over to the two women. “So, are we all going swimming?”

Mara shook her head. “I’m not swimming in the nude with you, Corran.”

“How about with Luke.” He grinned in amusement.

“No,” Mara said firmly.

Corran pouted in a mock look of disappointment. “Okay, do you mind if Luke and I just watch you two swim?” he said as he pointed to the two women.

“Watch it Jedi,” Mirax warned before handing him the basket.

“Ah, that’s not fair,” Corran said in a pitiful voice.

“Life’s not fair.” She turned to the Jedi Master who still looked embarrass by his previous lack of control. “Why don’t you and Mara have lunch with us. I brought enough food to feed a small army.” When the Jedi hesitated, Mirax continued, “Minus the clothing-optional swimming. I can see that poses a distinct danger of premature saber deactivation.”

Luke’s expression went from embarrassed to mortified.

Mirax was shocked when Mara said, “I’ll go. I’m starving.”

“Excellent,” Corran said happily before turning to his Master. “How about you Luke?”

A warm smile tugged at the Jedi’s lips. “Sure, that sounds like fun.”

Mirax gestured in the direction of the waterfalls. “Lead the way.”

As the two men moved down the jungle path Mirax slowed so she could talk to Mara privately. “Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master, got distracted at the thought of you swimming in the nude.”

Mara chuckled. “He’s a man. Men get easily distracted.”

“He likes you, and you know it. Otherwise he wouldn’t get so preoccupied.” She threw Mara a knowing look. “And you like him also.”

“You’re delusional.” Mara’s brow furrowed. “What did Corran mean when he said, ‘It’s not fair’?”

Mirax shrugged. “Last week we came out to the falls and got a glimpse of Luke swimming…sans a swimsuit. Fortunately, Luke didn't see us. Corran’s jealous that I got an eyeful of the Jedi Master’s lightsaber.”

“What?” Mara whispered before she tripped over a root, stumbled forward and would have done a faceplant in the dirt if it wasn’t for the Force.

“See what I mean about getting distracted at the thought of seeing each other nude.” Mirax laughed.

“I’m not distracted,” Mara grouse as she steadied herself and continued walking.

“Okay, okay, I believe you.” Mirax grinned deviously. “I’d tell you more, but you’d probably stumble off a cliff and then I’d lose my best friend.”

Mara glared at Mirax, before shaking her head, her face softening. “Maybe I was a little distracted. We can discuss this later, in detail, when I’m not trudging through a deadly jungle.”

“Ha, I knew it.” Mirax grinned widely. “Maybe Corran and I will take off a little early and you and Luke can get in some swimming.”

“The future is always in motion,” Mara said cryptically, with a faint smile curling up the corner of her lips. “That’s what Luke always says.”

“Along with ‘do or do not, there is no try’,” Mirax added.

“Shut up,” Mara laughed. “That’s Yoda.”

“Just do it!”

“Stop it.”

“Are you guys coming?” Corran yelled out.

“We’re coming!” the two women responded in unison.

“I wonder exactly how much motion the future holds,” Mirax laughed.

Mara shook her head silently, not letting her friend have the satisfaction of knowing that was exactly what she was wondering herself.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] :D I love how distractable Luke and Mara both are! At just the mention of swimming in the buff! [face_mischief] [face_love]

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This was fun! :D Well, THAT definitely got both men’s attention, especially Luke’s, and very spectacularly so with that little impromptu saber maneuver! :p I think Corran beat him that round, though fortunately his master is a good sport. A pleasant lunch of both couples (not wrong to call them that, even now! ;) ) seems like just the thing, and if Mara and Luke want to take a private dip later, well, I figure none of those present would say no! [face_love] Thanks again for another wonderful L/M romp. =D=

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    It's true that your prompts almost guarenteed a humorous story, but there was such a wonderful sparkle and fun depth of heart to this tale that was all your own! I always enjoy when you explore the will they/won't they stage of Luke and Mara's relationship - especially with Coran/Mirax - and this was no exception! :D [face_dancing]

Bwaha! [face_laugh] The entire opening of this story had me snickering. They were being such boys here - in more ways than one! [face_mischief] As fun as it was seeing Luke and Coran face off, Mirax's POV was wonderful to read! It's been ages since I read a fic with her as the viewpoint character! I couldn't blame her in the slightest for being done with their boys will be boys antics, and deciding to spend time with Mara instead. :p

Oh! Nice use of 'sequacious'!

This was an all too spot on characterization of Luke - and Mara too! Thankfully, since we already know how long the Force takes getting these two to admit the obvious, Mirax is helping move things along here . . . [face_mischief]

Oh my goodness, I see where this is going!!! [face_rofl]

And you DID NOT disappoint. [face_rofl] Oh Luke - I just love how endearingly bashful he was after his very telling slip. Litteraly. :p

BUT LUKE ISN'T ALONE!!! I lost it here. [face_rofl] !!!

Yes on all counts, ladies! I loved this - from Mara and Mirax's clear friendship and bantering, to the wonderful premise of lingering on the edge of something more! I bet that was quite a picnic to the waterfall following, for both couples - I wholly agree it's safe to say! :D [face_love]

This was a wonderful response to the challenge! Thanks for sharing. =D=

5. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    Oh this was such fun to read! :D

Firstly I loved Corran being so competitive with Luke! So much so that he felt compelled to count points himself. [face_laugh]

Best part for sure was Luke destroying the remote when he heard Mirax and Mara were going swimming nude. [face_laugh] Bless him, poor Master was so distracted.

I did like that Mara was also distracted by hearing of Luke swimming and Mirax getting an eye-full. [face_rofl] :p

Loved every word! :D

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh man! It's been awhile since I've read anything with Mirax and I had forgotten how much fun she is! Of course Corran, Luke, and Mara are a treat to read too. I love seeing Corran's and Luke competitive spirit. And of course Luke and Mara are just in denial :p

I have been here before - having to wait on some one else, so I just feel this frustration!
    BAHAHAHAHA! I love her!
    That is so evil! But they deserve it.

:p

Bravo with the prompts and the time limit! I adore this little scene of friends bugging friends and being a tad naughty!

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @Findswoman, @Mira_Jade, @mayo_durron_666 and @Briannakin for reading and taking the time to review. I really like writing prompts because it forces me to write something. Right now I am only comfortable writing about EU characters but I plan on getting Disney+ when it comes out and watch The Mandalorian and the new Obi-Wan tv series. I hope those shows will encourage me to write something other than L/M.

I had to throw in Mirax having seen Luke nude otherwise it would seem OOC for Corran teasing his wife about wanting to see Mara in the nude. I figure that would be uncool of him unless he wanted to even the playing field.

I love this time in L/M's relationship. I guess I like writing it because it was one thing missing from the EU...a long courtship. No they have a Force epiphany and fall in love. I am sure Zahn would have liked to write a love story if he could but I think he just wanted to get those two kids together as fast as possible so the 'Powers that be' didn't change their mind and have Luke married to a bodysnatcher or something worse.

I did get to see Zahn while at Celebration and I asked him if he would like to write Mara into the new canon and he said if he was allowed to do so, he would. Unfortunately it wasn't up to him.

Thanks again everybody for reading and reviewing!

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    LOL, loved it! From the competition, Luke's embarrassment and Mara's grudging acceptance of her possible distraction; perfect!

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

10. Jedi Sarabel

Jedi Sarabel Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2019
    This was hysterical... with just the right amount of “hubbah-hubbah”. Loved it!

11. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    It's so cool seeing Mirax here! She's such a fun character. You did a great job with her, plus the various relationships between her and the other characters. I can totally picture Corran being so competitive with Luke, and it was fun watching Luke and Mara get teased and poked about their blossoming feelings for each other... in a friendly way, of course. ;) Mirax seems to know exactly which buttons to push on both of them, LOL. Poor Luke gets so embarrassed.

Great job!

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    In-Unendo is one of my favorite party guests and this was one heck of a party! :cool: :p WE have motion, lightsabers, and...yeah not going put number 3 for TOS purposes, but OH MY!

This was a fun and well written piece, Jedi__Lover, with fan favorite characters and and a little sugar and spice to make everything nice.

The real question is...Is anyone picturing Mirax naked?[face_blush]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019