main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT I think a scene in ANH of Vader finding about Luke wouldn't have greatly improved the saga.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JMaster Luke, May 31, 2020.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That is enough, move along and everyone be respectful to each other, thanks.

2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Vader would be stupid not to put 2 and 2 together before the scene with Palpatine in ESB. He knows the pilot who blew up the Death Star's name was "Skywalker" and he knows that pilot was "strong in the Force." Not to mention Vader likely knows what Luke looks like at that point, and should be able to see some resemblance to Anakin.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Vader also believes his child died with Padme on Mustafar. He would most likely be suspicious, but could also chalk it up to coincidence.

4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Going a bit off topic, this is an interesting observation. I sometimes wonder how characters know what other characters look like. We never see pictures or portraits of people. We, as the audience, assume that characters are familiar with each other because we are familiar with each other. But to be honest, some of the characters don't get to see each other too often.

For example, how does Luke know it's Vader the one who kills Ben Kenobi? As far as we know, he never saw a picture of Vader before, and Ben didn't describe what Vader looks like (and for that matter, how could Ben know what Vader looks like? He last saw him burned in Mustafar).

Obviously, we are supposed to assume that they somehow know how each other looks like, but it's funny to think about it, nonetheless.

Deliveranze and christophero30 like this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Given Vader's distinctive/fearsome look and high up position in the Empire I would have to think he'd be famous, or infamous throughout the galaxy. People probably do not know he is Anakin Skywalker, but considering Vader's mastery of the Force I am sure Obi Wan can figure it out.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I would wager they would still have Holonet news ( Is that in New Canon?) And would have seen a picture of Vader.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Deanna Montgomery

Deanna Montgomery Jedi Master star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    I assumed, from the opening crawl of ESB "obsessed with finding young Skywalker", he would have used any means necessary to find out. It didn't detract from the story for me, because of that line, but I get it for you, OP.

8. niccalas_cage

niccalas_cage Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2010
    Well if that scene of him finding out Luke was his kid was in the movie, then you've just erased one of the biggest reveals and iconic scenes in movie history at the end of ESB

9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It could just be something like this:
    "My lord, we've found out the name of the rebel who destroyed the Death Star. His name is Luke Skywalker"
    Vader doesn't say anything, but looks away into the sky, wondering....
    "Skywalker?"

Besides, if the change is made with the intention to be viewed in chronologial order, there is nothing to spoil.

10. niccalas_cage

niccalas_cage Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, you're right. I forget no one had a clue who Anakin is when ESB came out

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I just figured Vader had an inkling when he sensed Luke thru the Force at the end of ANH, and over the next couple years eventually decided that although it seemed unlikely-he could very well have had a son afterall. Then he could've easily learned of the fact that his name was Luke Skywalker thru capturing other rebels, intercepting rebel messages, holonet reports of Luke's success in destroying the Death Star, etc. There's lots of ways he could've learned Luke's name over three years. Then, when he was able to put a name to the individual he sensed in the Force, it became clear-this must be his son, and Padme must have had her baby afterall (Not knowing Leia was another). Which makes sense why he's obsessed with finding him by the start of ESB. But he must have been keeping this search from the Emperor. So when the Emperor speaks of Luke to him on the SD, Vader was basically pretending he was surprised-and hadn't been already obsessing about and searching for Luke.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 26X Wacky Wednesday/23x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    That's certainly true in newcanon.

To a lesser degree it's true in Legends as well - Vader considers the possibility that Luke is his son, once he knows Luke's full name, but dismisses it, though he suspects some connection between the two of them and is very keen to find out what it is - and is trying to keep his obsession secret from the Emperor at least.

13. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I agree to a degree. I think finding out Luke's name led to Vader being suspicious that Luke was his son, but it wasn't until Palps told Vader on the star destroyer that it was confirmed for Vader. I believe Vader's obsession in finding Luke was two-fold. On one hand, it's finding and killing the rebel who blew up the Death Star. The other is trying to capture Luke to be able to confirm his suspicions of Luke being his son.

DARTH_BELO and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I didn't get back in time to edit. Sorry for the double post.

@DARTH_BELO I forgot to add to my original response. The conversation between Palps and Vader hints at Palps knowing that Vader is searching for the rebel who destroyed the Death Star.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you referring to the passage where he says "the young rebel who destroyed the death star. I have no doubt..."? Like he's referring back to a previous conversation about it? If so, I suppose I could see that. The reason I feel that Palpatine doesn't know Vader's searching is cos he actually starts with: "there's a great disturbance in the force. We have a new enemy." IMO since he introduces it as a new idea in this way, it feels like he's telling vader about a feeling he had for the first time, and now he wants to discuss what he thinks it is. Again, Palpatine also could've learned of the "young rebel (named Luke Skywalker) who destroyed the Death Star" in a number of different ways over that last three years. But maybe he just didn't know Vader was already aware of the connection. Unless Palpatine DID know Vader knew, but is also pretending he doesn't notice.

Honestly I feel it works either way. I just chose the simpler option, instead of a "Vader hiding something from Palpatine, while Palpatine pretends he doesn't know that he really knows that Vader knows" kind of idea. I just prefer the idea that Vader was deceiving him.

oierem likes this.
  16. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Yes, that's the passage, and that's the feeling I always got from it. Like it was a continuation of a previous comment. As far as the line, "there is a great disturbance in the force. We have a new enemy." I always took that as the disturbance being from Palps discovering that Luke is the son of Skywalker. I agree with you, though. It does work either way.

DARTH_BELO likes this.