main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT If "A New Hope" was made after the prequels, how would it be different?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dan2626, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Well, if the Phantom Menace came out first, I do not believe there would have been more movies. It was not very good and the sequels it would have spawned (if any) would only add to the mess. Star Wars would not be what it is today.
    But, here are some things that would have been different….

A New Hope - Obi-Wan would be doing backflips during his duel with Darth Vader (shudder). An additional 20-30 minutes of political dialogue instead of the "right to the point scene" we got with the news of the Emperor dissolving the Senate. Han Solo would have been his original concept of an alien (and probably some terrible CGI looking alien if it was today). Obi-Wan telling Luke about his midicholiran count. Vader finding a high midicholrian count in Leia after her torture scene.

I'll stop there. I am just grateful that Star Wars came out in 1977 :)

only one kenobi and Avnar like this.
  2. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Perhaps if TPM came out in 1977, people would've liked it and most of the critics wouldn't've liked it. Same scenario as A New Hope. And how does Obi-Wan doing backflips and talking about Luke's midichlorian count detract from the film at all? It's just added content (like the Han and Jabba scene), not like they're removing a key moment from the story.

3. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I think people who dislike the prequels overemphasize the impact midichlorians had in the story of the prequels. That scene could be removed entirely and it would have no impact on the movies.

Darth Downunder and Darkslayer like this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - The Empire would use Clone Troopers.
    - The troops that board the Tantive would be identified as the 501st.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

According to the head bumping stormtrooper, the Empire does, but to what extent is debatable.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's another issue. What I meant is that these things would be stated and shown in the movies.

SateleNovelist11 and Slicer87 like this.
  7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Indeed. I imagine there would be discussions about how they stretched the cloning process. Without Jango, they had to make clones of clones, and that would be their explanation for why many stormtroopers are stupid.

8. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    If Phantom Menace had been made first, there never would have been another Star Wars movie. I promise you that.

Avnar likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

:p

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if ANH was made after the prequels, then we'd probably see more aliens among the Rebels, like a Togruta or Gran.

Slicer87 and darklordoftech like this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I imagine we'd see a bit more of Vader in the film. He'd also be shown to give more orders.

Of course, I know it would never happen, but if anyone suggested a reboot of ANH or any CT film, I'd be like, "No!"

Dagobahsystem and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I love that that video exists.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    The rebels would look mor like they do in ROTJ with more of a mix. Of course you could say various alien fractions joined the rebels by ROTJ but hadn't in yet ANH or TESB.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If A New Hope was released after the PT, I would hope there is a scene where see the Emperor dissolve the senate. Preferably by filling the senate chamber with acid.

The Emperor: "Call the cleaners. This is going to be gross."
    Grand Moff Binks: "Yessa, My Lord!"

15. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    In certain scenes, it appears that Vader is subordinate to Tarkin. Vader would more clearly be in command of Tarkin.
    The lightsaber duel would be different (not just the fight itself but the dialogue). In ANH, Obi-Wan calls Vader "Darth" without a hint of sarcasm. The line delivery is more along the lines of--that's his first name (similar to the "a young Jedi named Darth Vader…") It makes it sound like that's his proper name. Those are quick changes.
    As many have said, I'd expect a scene to show Palpatine disbanding the Imperial Senate or in his office scheming to disband the body.
    Given their architectural role, I could see Geonosians on the Death Star along with imperials (maybe certain Death Star interiors look more cave like/natural)
    Agree with those that have said it would feature a scene of Alderaan/Bail Organa
    Greater diversity of alien species in the Catina, in the alliance
    There would be more shots of the pyramids and jungle of Yavin IV and the interior of the rebel base

To briefly address those claiming that if TPM was first there would be no sequels--I think this takes prequel bashing to an irrational/illogical extreme. Regardless of your thoughts on those movies, they would have been a commercial hit and unlike anything else. We all view them through the lens of what preceded them (and are disappointed or satisfied with the comparison). Love them or hate them, they would have made a lot of money. Certainly enough to warrant sequels.

16. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013

In Star Tours 2, the first Death Star was being constructed in orbit of Geonosis.

17. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I dunno. I really don’t think THE PHANTOM MENACE would’ve done that well without the anticipation factor derived from the other films. Honestly, in such a scenario, I see it performing similarly to something like JUPITER ASCENDING, an equally flawed and creative film. Even the other two prequels had a massive dropoff from it.

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Yeah. It's priceless. It's hilarious when it appears that Vader gives a strong no to Boba Fett, as though Boba asked him on a date or something.

I imagine that anything related to Jabba, Vader and Tarkin's hierarchy, and stuff like that would have been handled differently if ANH had been released after the prequels.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The clone Wars would be mentioned and elaborated on more.

20. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    In this theoretical universe, we'd have to assume that the movies kept going after TPM. I have serious doubts on that one. If somehow the "Jupiter Ascending" of 1998 did manage to connect with people and then they also managed to not suck for clones and sith, ANH probably would have been about the jedi purge and Ben and Yoda would have probably spent most of the film chasing Vader around the galaxy... always one step behind Vader and one step ahead of the empire's forces.

21. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

You didn't care for the backflips that Luke did in "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi"?

22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If A New Hope came out after the PT, Vader would have gotten Tarkin to test the Death Star on Tatooine.

*The Death Star fires it's superlaser, obliterating Tatooine*
    Darth Vader: "**** you, sand!"

23. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014

It's possible that Star Wars would have gone down in history like one of those terrible '90s sci-fi movies such as "Starship Troopers" or "Lost in Space." Nobody talks about those movies today.

I like the Phantom Menace, for the most part, as an installment in the overall saga, but I don't think the movie stands on its own nor is as captivating as A New Hope was for new audiences.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If they rebooted the franchise I would forgive them if this happens.

TX-20 and Darkslayer like this.
  25. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Does anyone else think that if ROTJ was made today, it would be splitup into two film like with Harry Potter and Hunger Games?